XR650L MSR rear fender trunk?

9 replies to this topic
  • DigDug

Posted December 16, 2005 - 10:26 AM

I haven't found much feedback, so has anyone tried one of these on their XR650L?

http://blackhawkcust...productid=79854

Posted Image

Does it replace the OEM toolbag?
How does it fit on the fender with that huge taillight?
It looks like there are loops on the sides, can you strap something on top of it securely?
What about a 2nd rider on the road, does the thing sit too close to the seat for that?
Too big/intrusive for trail/offroad use?

I'm looking for a little more space to throw some stuff for the trail and this looks pretty sweet. It looks like the product has been out for a bit, but a search turns up nothing...

• roadcam

Posted December 16, 2005 - 11:25 AM

be aware that the 'L' has a weak sub-frame that will not support much weight without cracking ... thats why you dont see much in the way of cargo racks etc. for the 'L' ... :applause:

• DigDug

Posted December 16, 2005 - 01:01 PM

I've read a little about those problems, but appreciate the heads up... :applause: Thanks

I was mostly looking for a place to put some simple tools, a spare tube, pair of gloves, keep the paperwork for the bike (registration/insurance, manual, etc).

I'm probably going to look into beefing up the rear frame and putting some panniers on in the future to carry the "overnight" supplies.

:bonk:

• fastmonstr

Posted December 16, 2005 - 02:10 PM

I would like to see a pic of one mounted.

• ShiftMXer505

Posted December 16, 2005 - 02:16 PM

I've read a little about those problems, but appreciate the heads up... :applause: Thanks

I was mostly looking for a place to put some simple tools, a spare tube, pair of gloves, keep the paperwork for the bike (registration/insurance, manual, etc).

I'm probably going to look into beefing up the rear frame and putting some panniers on in the future to carry the "overnight" supplies.

:bonk:

I thought the XR650L was a tubeless tire? I was just wondering because you said you wanted to keep a spare tube.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted December 16, 2005 - 02:45 PM

I thought the XR650L was a tubeless tire? I was just wondering because you said you wanted to keep a spare tube.

haha, no, its NOT tubeless.

• DigDug

Posted December 16, 2005 - 03:05 PM

I would like to see a pic of one mounted.

Well, if I take the plunge, I'll be sure to take a pic.

Anyone have one of these things or seen one?

• XRJunkie

Posted December 17, 2005 - 06:07 AM

Chase Harper 8800 is what I've used on bikes for years (one for my 650L just arrived and needs to be mounted). http://www.chaseharp...ffRoad/8800.htm is a crap web page but you get the idea. http://tinyurl.com/bgx3v shows a color pic at least. One mounted on my 400 can be seen in some of these pics http://www.motolobo.com/gallery/xr400.

Solid build quality, similar footprint to stock bag but hangs over the side a touch. Definitely taller, especially when fully packed. Will fade a bit with constant sun exposure and mud stains, but the fabric holds up to much abuse. 3 point bolt on keeps it firmly in place. Double zipper closure with flap that folds over and velcros to keep most stuff out. I don't think it's to be water proof but I have never seen traces of water in one, even after serious rain and washings.

It's not huge, but plenty big enough to carry the stock tools, mini-tire irons, leatherman/utility tool, CO2 inflation kit, tube patch kit, rag, spare plug, zip ties, 6" vice grips, any other bits I'm surely forgetting. Always seems to have room for "one more thing".

I also take a neck lanyard (like those used to hang pit passes and creds around ones neck) and loop it through one of the inner webbed loops. Then I clip on a small carabiner (D clip) onto the lanyard. Perfect for clipping my truck keys too as with the lanyard they NEVER fall out on the trail.

I've prolly used 8 or so of these on various bikes over the years. Never a problem...

• Mckay

Posted December 17, 2005 - 03:23 PM

I just bought one of these and mounted it up, So far Im very happy and still have room to put more goodies in.

http://www.blueridge...m/kitClosed.htm

• XRsteve

Posted December 17, 2005 - 04:08 PM

I've used the chase harper on 2 bikes. My 650L has one. You can see a pic in my garage. One thing I added is the plastic plate that comes with the stock fender bag. It feels more solidly attached with the plate.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.