Worth rebuilding XL 600 RF wiring harness?

2 replies to this topic
  • aaronjthompson

Posted December 16, 2005 - 06:20 AM

I am currently rebuilding a low mileage 1985 Honda XL 600RF as a supermoto and it was running fine but has sat garaged for 7 years.

Before I reassemble it and find there might be an electrical problem would it be worth taking the electrical harness to a motorcycle electrician to test and possibly rebuild - or even just rebuild as preventative maintenance as it's 21 years old and cables deteriorate?

I'm not an electrician so can anybody advise me about what I should do and whether it's a waste of money having the wiring harness checked or even rebuilt as a precaution?

Perth, Western Australia.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted December 16, 2005 - 02:04 PM

Id try it first. The harness on the 83 XR500 a guy gave me was a mess but still worked fine. Since I got the bike running I cleaned up the harness with new connectors and things. Get the thing partially assembled and just check it all before you final assemble the bike. The harness comes off in a couple minutes.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted December 16, 2005 - 03:39 PM

Try it first, we are talking about Honda, not General Motors!

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.