Fork Seal Leak

10 replies to this topic
  • 4FiddyRider

Posted December 15, 2005 - 05:45 PM

Hey my 2005 YZ450 all of a sudden started leaking oil out of my fork. I have no clue what caused it or what to do. Can i get some advice, i don't know if it's a do-it-yourself job or an excuse to get my suspension done. i appriciate any help I can get.

• MotoSenior

Posted December 15, 2005 - 05:51 PM

You have to replace your fork seals (do them both at the same time). If you haven't done this before, you might want someone who has to go through it with you the first time. Otherwise, remove the forks and take them to your dealer. After a year of riding, it's not a bad idea to change out the fluid anyway.

Hope this helps.

• kizzle426

Posted December 15, 2005 - 05:53 PM

I can actually help with this one now. I just asked this a couple of weeks back. Pull down the dust seal that covers the fork seal with a flat head screw driver (the part with the little spring around it). Then, take a piece of old film negative or goggle tear-off and stick it up into the seal and run it around the entire thing. Pull it out and you'll prolly notice a bunch of little dust particles. That's all it takes to make it leak. Clean off the inside of the dust seal and around the fork and push it back up. It worked for me and mine was leaking BAD. Hope that helps you.

• kizzle426

Posted December 15, 2005 - 05:54 PM

Oh yeah, when you put it all back together, hold the front brake and compress it a few times to see if it stopped. Then, let it sit for a while and check it later. If that doesn't stop it, then you'll need new seals, as said above.

• 642MX

Posted December 15, 2005 - 06:00 PM

Replacing fork seals is easy. I wouldn't even mess with cleaning them. Get your owners manual out, buy a seal driver and follow the instructions. Also invest in some Seal Savers, they really do work well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 16, 2005 - 10:19 AM

In following the manual, bear in mind that the fork needs to be disassembled no farther than the point at which the inner and outer tubes have been separated from each other. The damper assemblies and base valves can stay in place if you'd rather not bother with them.

• Butta

Posted December 16, 2005 - 11:05 AM

In following the manual, bear in mind that the fork needs to be disassembled no farther than the point at which the inner and outer tubes have been separated from each other. The damper assemblies and base valves can stay in place if you'd rather not bother with them.

Gray, does this also hold true for the '05 AOS forks? It was my understanding that some drilling needed to be done on the internals on the '05's the first time they are apart to fix some flow restriction problems. I know very little more about them, and I plan on having my suspension set up for my weight as soon as my house closes....$$$$ :applause:

• SureBlue

Posted December 16, 2005 - 01:17 PM

Experience has taught me about fork seals the following:
If you want to prolong the life of the seals, consider doing as follows: Frequently clean the dust seals. Never grease the seals. If you absolutely want to put something there, spray silicone. Grease will only collect dust and debris that finally get into seals and destroy them. Just keep them dry.
After each moto, clean the fork tubes before your next ride. The surface of the tube is covered with an oil film that has caught dirt on it. When it dries, it will eat up your seals like a sandpaper. You can't see it, but the dried film is there. Clean them before you go out again.
You can also prolong the life of your seals by using sealsavers. Using them you will not need to clean the dust seals too often. But you still have to clean the fork tubes. Always.
And yes, I know what the manual says about greasing the seals with lithium soap grease. Trust me. I know what I'm doing. - Sledge Hammer -
JMO.

• Reyndogg

Posted December 16, 2005 - 01:20 PM

IMO - thats a 2005, so i would imagine (based on my own riding) that it probably has 50-75hrs on it so its probably time to get those forks serviced anyway. I would bet money that fluid is nast and you may need bushings too.

• grayracer513

Posted December 16, 2005 - 04:34 PM

Gray, does this also hold true for the '05 AOS forks?

You may know more than I do about that subject. :applause:

• 4FiddyRider

Posted December 30, 2005 - 11:54 PM

Thanks for all the help

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.