06 450 bars, how does it feel for tall riders

39 replies to this topic
  • Thumparoobonzai

Posted December 26, 2005 - 12:59 PM

I talk to ProTaper and they said they are extremely close to the Carmichael bend. I ordered the Windham bend myself.

• WR TOM

Posted December 26, 2005 - 01:57 PM

Pro Taper SE 7/8s, ATV HI ,work great for me? Strictly preference?

• ThumperKid250F

Posted December 26, 2005 - 06:35 PM

I talk to ProTaper and they said they are extremely close to the Carmichael bend. I ordered the Windham bend myself.

yea i be ordering the windham bend over the winter. by the way how tall are you if you dont mind.

thanks mike

• pelted

Posted December 26, 2005 - 06:40 PM

...just wondering how do thes bars feel for the taller riders...

They felt too low for me (6'-2) - replaced them with Honda Highs...

• DPW

Posted December 26, 2005 - 06:53 PM

yea i be ordering the windham bend over the winter. by the way how tall are you if you dont mind.

thanks mike

http://www.protaper....eastonbars.html

I have the Windham bend on my 450 too...

• Thumparoobonzai

Posted December 27, 2005 - 11:15 AM

thanks mike

I be 5'11"

• mitocross

Posted December 27, 2005 - 11:56 AM

Pro Taper Carmichael- height: 77mm - pullback: 55mm
Renthal Fat Bar 686 - height: 85mm - pullback: 36mm -is listed on this site as the YZ450F 2006 bend: http://www.bandcexpr...t=HB-DIMENSIONS :applause:

• snowboardstylee

Posted December 27, 2005 - 02:11 PM

Hey guys,
awwwww. i was thinking the same thing when i saw the 06 at the dealer. i like the new pro taper thay put on the 06 the bend looks great not to much sweep but a little low. I tried to pull the pad off the bar to see if there was a part # or signature name on the bar where my pro taper has it but the dealer wouldtn let me take the bar pad off.

anyways im 6'3 and i replaced the stock bar on my 04 Yz 450f with a pro taper 1 1/8' windham bend. i like it . a little wide. i might trim a inch off each end soon. but i really like them they seem to be a little bit high. i also got the pro taper upper clamp. thats adjustable about you can mount the bars + or - about 2 inches forward or backward.
first time i went riding on them i didnt like them, bu thad them to far forward in teh clamps. then moved them back to the 0 setting. seem to be ok. but im really thinking about swaping them out for a carmicheal bend.

Another thing is Powerpegz (www.powerpegz.com) makes aftermarket pegs that rotate 20 degrees and come in a lower than stock setup about 1.5 inch lower than the stock pegs. might be worth looking into for some of you taller riders.

• DPW

Posted December 27, 2005 - 04:08 PM

I tried to pull the pad off the bar to see if there was a part # or signature name on the bar where my pro taper has it but the dealer wouldtn let me take the bar pad off.

It is not a ProTaper part number, it's Yamaha...the number on the bar will do you zero good. The bar was built by ProTaper to Yamaha's specs.

• mitocross

Posted January 03, 2006 - 02:59 PM

I did some measuring myself today. I had the stock bars and also on hand Universal Mid and Universal Low (known dimensions for comparison of measuring) and the stockers are indeed almost exactly the ProTaper Carmichael bend, only a bit wider.
Here is what I got:
W: 807mm H: 77mm S: 55mm :bonk:

I am 182cm (6ft),so deciding between the CR High and Henry/Reed bends. :applause:

Does sliding the forks up 5mm count like 5mm down from the bar height too?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • demp35744

Posted January 04, 2006 - 09:04 AM

Check out www.ksaracing.com
They have some double tall bars that I really like. And the price is right too.

• yz_anders

Posted January 04, 2006 - 12:16 PM

Hmm.. Im around 6´1 do u guys think I will change to a higher bend if a buy a Yz450f-06..?

Thanks!

• aedwards07

Posted January 04, 2006 - 12:41 PM

I am 6'1 and I think the bend is perfect for me.

• 757holeshot

Posted January 04, 2006 - 01:05 PM

yeah i got my 450 and the bars feel good little to much sweep for my likeing but height is ok im 185cm tall (6 foot)

• yz_anders

Posted January 04, 2006 - 01:51 PM

That sounds really good guys.. Thanks..

• mitocross

Posted January 04, 2006 - 11:18 PM

yeah i got my 450 and the bars feel good little to much sweep for my likeing but height is ok im 185cm tall (6 foot)

How can they have too much sweep,when they are one of the least swept bars from ProTaper? Just wondering :applause:

• DPW

Posted January 05, 2006 - 03:41 AM

How can they have too much sweep,when they are one of the least swept bars from ProTaper? Just wondering :applause:

Maybe your measurement is off...

Does it really matter the bars don't feel right to him?

• 757holeshot

Posted January 05, 2006 - 11:20 PM

upon lookin at my bars the were rolled right back so now ive moved em forward and will try it now it was behind INLINE with the forks if that makes sense?

• Drunken Monkey

Posted January 06, 2006 - 12:47 AM

Hmm.. Im around 6´1 do u guys think I will change to a higher bend if a buy a Yz450f-06..?

Thanks!

Bars are a VERY PERSONAL thing...................
I didn't like the height, not tall enough. I am 6'2". I stuck em on my WR with some adapters! perfect! :applause:
I am running protapers in the unerversal high bend, less sweep and higher than stockers.

• aedwards07

Posted January 10, 2006 - 01:46 PM

Well I THOUGHT the bend was perfect.I decided to throw on Whindham bend Renthals on that I had laying around and they are soo much better.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.