1/2-3/4 throttle bog (tried but still looking)

3 replies to this topic
  • NuckingFuts

Posted December 15, 2005 - 04:29 PM

Ive heard folks say that bogging between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle can mean Rich or Lean. Help me understand what I have going on.

Bike Summary:
02 WR426
Stock pipe with Pro Moto baffle
YZ Timed & 03' 450 Cam
Stock Jetting
AP squirt: 1sec
Float: 8mm
Temps: 65-80F
Elevation: 800'
Air box lid removed
Air Screw: 2 turns

Performance Summary:
Starts and idles good. Good/smooth throttle response when cracking open from a stop.
Once I get past 1/2 throttle engine bogs down until I throttle back.

So far Ive tried a 170main and the stock 165 main. Needle clip is on #4 (middle). Im off to try the #5 clip position in an attempt to lean it but wanted to confer with the experienced on this before banging my head further.

• clark4131

Posted December 15, 2005 - 05:05 PM

Going from #4 to #5 on the needle richens the mixture, provided you're counting from the top down. If you want to lean things, go to #3...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted December 15, 2005 - 05:50 PM

Your jetting actually sounds pretty close to me, almost sounds like something electrical?

• NuckingFuts

Posted December 15, 2005 - 07:20 PM

Going from #4 to #5 on the needle richens the mixture, provided you're counting from the top down. If you want to lean things, go to #3...SC

Clark, my nomenclature follows that of the manual (sorry to confuse). Just so everyones on the same page from here on out I'll just say drop/raise needle for now.

I dropped the needle one position. Result: the bog is now at 3/8 throttle instead of 1/2 throttle.

So, I raised the needle one position (from my baseline #4) and the bog is now at 5/8 throttle. So Im moving in the right direction. But what's throwing me off is that with a 170 main and clip in #4 the bog still starts at 5/8.

I went back and re-checked my AP squirt and its more like 1.5 seconds (which is on the rich side). But Im not experiencing any bog off idle or when I snap it from 1/4 throttle. So, I dont think I'll play with that just yet. What Im thinking is that I may try out a YZ needle which is supposed to be more rich across the circuit.

Still bangin' away. :bonk:
I'll keep reporting back to the end so this thread doesnt become another open ended question that isnt much help for others in the future. 95% of these types of theads never get a final report from thread starter to say what solved the issue. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.