1/2-3/4 throttle bog (WR426) tried but can't pinpoint

12 replies to this topic
  • NuckingFuts

Posted December 15, 2005 - 04:12 PM

Ive heard folks say that bogging between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle can mean Rich or Lean. Help me understand what I have going on.

Bike Summary:
02 WR426
Stock pipe with Pro Moto baffle
YZ Timed & 03' 450 Cam
Stock Jetting
AP squirt: 1sec
Float: 8mm
Temps: 65-80F
Elevation: 800'
Air box lid removed
Air Screw: 2 turns

Performance Summary:
Starts and idles good. Good/smooth throttle response when cracking open from a stop.
Once I get past 1/2 throttle engine bogs down until I throttle back.

So far Ive tried a 170main and the stock 165 main. Needle clip is on #4 (middle). Im off to try the #5 clip position in an attempt to lean it but wanted to confer with the experienced on this before banging my head further.

• Gerry B

Posted December 15, 2005 - 04:39 PM

try a 162 jet

• Satch0922

Posted December 15, 2005 - 05:38 PM

clean the carb yet? Float level?

• NuckingFuts

Posted December 15, 2005 - 07:24 PM

Cleaned and set!

I went back and re-checked my AP squirt and its more like 1.5 seconds (which is on the rich side). But Im not experiencing any bog off idle or when I snap it from 1/4 throttle. So, I dont think I'll play with that just yet. What Im thinking is that I may try out a YZ needle which is supposed to be more rich across the circuit.

Im choosing the YZ needle route since up'ing the main to a 170 didnt change the response a bit.

• bg10459

Posted December 16, 2005 - 06:20 AM

Sounds like you're on the right track. I'd play with the needle (both richer and leaner) and see how it reacts.

• jwriott

Posted December 16, 2005 - 07:16 AM

I'd limit the squirt to around 1/3 second. 1.5 is way too long.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NuckingFuts

Posted December 16, 2005 - 09:09 AM

I think that's a bit to long as well but Im getting no off idle bog that results from the AP loading up the carb. In fact my throttle is super crisp in the 0-1/2 throttle range which is why Im electing at this point not to change it until Ive solved mid-to-top end bog.

James suggested an even larger main (175) which I'll give a try today and then go through the needle settings. I'll report back this afternoon.

• ca412686

Posted December 18, 2005 - 08:32 AM

I had a similar problem with my 02 YZ426. I tried everything. It ended up being crap blocking fuel off inside the tank by the fuel switch. It sounds retarded, but it took me a month to figure that out and it worked perfect ever since!

• Matty05

Posted December 18, 2005 - 05:56 PM

So far Ive tried a 170main and the stock 165 main. Needle clip is on #4 (middle). Im off to try the #5 clip position in an attempt to lean it but wanted to confer with the experienced on this before banging my head further.

#5 clip is richer (raises needle)..... which is what you want to do!!!!
lean will bog, rich will sputter.

count your clips down from the top of the needle, holding it how it sits in the carb, grooves on top and point below.

• NuckingFuts

Posted December 18, 2005 - 11:18 PM

Matty, I was using the manuals nomenclature which is reversed. I like typical method of numbering myself. In any case, I tried both raising and lowering the needle with little or not change.

I also tried a 175 mj and varied the clip from 3 to 7 and it only got worse by clip 6........when I engaged the choke while clip was at 6 the bike wanted to die. So, I guess I need to hear the difference between a 'bog' and a 'sputter' because I think I just reached the upper end of the rich regime.

My plan now is to:
a)Return to stock jetting
:applause: Get a YZ426 needle (which is the best?....OBEJP, OCEMP, OCEMN???)
c)Shorten the AP squirt from 1sec to 0.5 sec
d)Start from square 1 and re-test all the jet variations.

Since Im having to start at the beginning I went ahead and made up a Jamesnow to get back some of the low end that was lost with the 450 cam. I'll also check out Mike's lead on the fuel petcock.....never know.

What do you guys think?

• NuckingFuts

Posted December 19, 2005 - 06:36 PM

OCEMP needle ordered.

Ran stock jetting. I have a bit more throttle before bog (starts at 3/4) but when I decelerate Im getting a lot of drag (feels like its running out of fuel/ wants to die but its not). Having to blip to keep going. Also a bit of popping (not crackling) sounds like wood sticks (not your typical lean crackle) out of the pipe on decel.

Burned suggest I double check the yz timing so I'll check that tonight. Other than that Im waiting on my yz needle and will go from there. Still think I should be able to get my top end tuned somewhat with the mains Im playing with.Dunno

• NuckingFuts

Posted December 19, 2005 - 10:04 PM

Just popped the cover to find that the dealer didnt yz time the bike when they installed the 450 cam. Fleeced by another dealer. Im off to advance cam 1 tooth.

• RichBaker

Posted December 20, 2005 - 02:02 PM

Which cam, YZ or WR? If it's a YZ450 cam, it won't look like it was "YZ-timed" because the gear is pressed on in a different orientation...it's already set-up, all you do is line up the timing marks. WR400-426 owners used the WR cam and changed it's timing.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.