Using the best oil for my 01 wr426

3 replies to this topic
  • buffaman

Posted September 01, 2001 - 05:01 AM

Need to change the oil on my WR and i wanted to get opitions on what is the best oil to use..

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted September 01, 2001 - 05:42 AM

Use a fully synthetic like Mobil 1. They do make a motorcycle Mobil 1, but I have had a hard time getting it, so I use Mobil 5w/50 for cars.

However, only switch to Mobil 1 after the engine has been fully broken in with conventional oil. Full sythetics are so good that they prevent proper brake in. On a car motor this can be 10,000 miles on a 4 cyl. bike motor this might be 5,000 - 7,000 miles. On the WR who knows, but a rough guess is 1,000 miles.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SUnruh

Posted September 01, 2001 - 06:22 AM

john,
sorry to say, but that is not exactly correct.
several cars (Corvette and many models in the Porsche and BMW line up) come from the factory with Mobil 1 in the engines.

if done correctly, a YZF or WRF can be running Mobil 1 15w50 (the RED cap) in 100 miles from delivery. i had Amsoil 20w50 Motorcycle Specific in my yz250f before it hit 100 miles. i've also had my oil analyzed twice and it shows NO wear. a picture of my oil report can be found in the 250f pics forum.

[This message has been edited by SUnruh (edited September 01, 2001).]

• yzf

Posted September 01, 2001 - 11:38 AM

i had the dirt from the bottom of my skid plate analyzed and it told me that my average speed for the last 12 rides was 22.4584845845 mph while heading north with a wind speed of 12 knots while going up hill in the rain .if i think my engine is worn i'll do a top end thank you

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.