gray wire awitch mode

10 replies to this topic
  • nimiz1

Posted December 14, 2005 - 10:05 PM

how about insted of just cuting the gray wire , put a switch between the gray wire , mount it on the andlebars and then you can move from yz to wr depending on the style of your riding at thet time.

• dbailey223

Posted December 14, 2005 - 11:52 PM

I believe it has been posted that that can be done, but the mapping occurs on startup, so you have to cut the engine then flip the switch to change.

• CycleWriter

Posted December 15, 2005 - 09:59 AM

I believe it has been posted that that can be down, but the mapping occurs on startup, so you have to cut the engine then flip the switch to change.

You, sir, are correct. :applause:

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted December 15, 2005 - 10:36 AM

I read a post where someone installed a switch but never switched it to where it was connected after the first day so he removed it.

• CycleWriter

Posted December 15, 2005 - 10:39 AM

I read a post where someone installed a switch but never switched it to where it was connected after the first day so he removed it.

Considering that the gray wire setting was devised to help the bike meet EPA regs and disconnecting it provides better performance, why would anyone want to switch back? What benefit would it provide?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nimiz1

Posted December 15, 2005 - 11:19 AM

if you ride woods the wr setting is great for you but if you ride send or long trips you can switch to the yz setting and enjoy better response no?

• MN_Kevin

Posted December 15, 2005 - 01:04 PM

[COLOR=Red]if you ride woods the WR setting is great for you, but if you ride slow or long trips you can switch to the yz setting and enjoy better response[/COLOR]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Note: the gray wire is on United States Models ONLY!!![/COLOR]

[COLOR=Red]No: Conceptual Error here[/COLOR]!

The gray wire has been misconstrued as a jetting problem in the earlier days of TT (2001-2002???). Someone came across this inside scoop somewhere, & posted here on TT.

[COLOR=Magenta]One TT even did a dyno run with GW connected and disconnected. He had the visual proof everyone needed.[/COLOR]

Cut it and live happily ever after...unless you want your bike to run like crap...(???) :applause:

Going hand in hand with this: there is / was also a BLUE wire that inputs a NEUTRAL POSITION from your transmission (on the engine case adjacent to your shift lever / countershaft sprocket). This wire (supposedly) reduces your spark available / inhibits high rpm while the tranny is in NEUTRAL.
I have disconnected mine. Ty Davis offers a Neutral Switch Cover that installs here. And yes, Ty DISCONNECTS the blue wire!

While installing a VORTEX ignition, I ended up pulling all external wiring on the frame. I found out the 6-10 wires (sorry, it's been a long time) coming off the transmission >> NONE WERE USED except for the blue wire. All the wires were capped (at the factory) and "abandonned in place".

All that crap went into my local landfill.

• CycleWriter

Posted December 15, 2005 - 07:34 PM

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Note: the gray wire is on United States Models ONLY!!![/COLOR]

Exactly. It helps the WR meet EPA regulations, which is only important to us Yankees. :applause:

• 1BLUEsky

Posted December 17, 2005 - 03:23 PM

THats right its the damn furriners making all the green house gases!!!
Just kidd'n. Ive recently got an 03, WR 450 and found a gray wire with a small white stripe.Is this the one to Cut??

• foxomatica

Posted December 17, 2005 - 08:48 PM

We have the grey wire on Canadian bikes too and I would never re-connect it. It rocks.

• hawkce541

Posted December 19, 2005 - 05:49 PM

I work on airplanes so I had a friend make an water tight aluminum box and put a switch in it just for that. It works great, and mounts to the left rear down tube. You can hardly tell it's there.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.