Yami 2nd
Hon\ Tied
Suz/
KTM 5th

Pretty good article.

(I kinda like the "nervous" front end of one of the bikes. :applause: "

• YZLEE

Posted December 14, 2005 - 12:12 PM

Boy, nobody liked the KTM! Both the Yamaha and the Kawasaki sound good. When I trade up, I'll probably get one of those two.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted December 14, 2005 - 01:39 PM

They had Simon Cudby testing the bikes. Give me a break.

The guy can shoot stills like nobody's business, but can he really test a bike? I think not. And Greg Albertyn didn't give his results just because "he has been sponsored by and won for these manufacturer's"...what a bunch of crap. Get your head out of your asses, Racer X, and deliver the goods the best you can. There are consumers out there who rely on magazine bike tests for purchasing decisions. You're not helping.

When all else fails (and beforehand)...just read MXA.

• Hick

Posted December 14, 2005 - 02:15 PM

How many AMA moto wins does the MXA test crew have?

Albertyn and Pingree sound like a pretty good beginning to your test ride crew, and Albertyn's opinion is useful despite no ranking. He clearly liked the Yamaha and Kawasaki also.

RacerX doesn't do many tests, but I have to say the ones they have published to date I thought have been really good.

MXA, Transworld, Dirt Rider, and RacerX will all say something different. You can usually predict the outcome like this:

Nobody will like the KTM, but Dirt Rider will say more nice things about it.
MXA will rave about the Yamaha handling (and bitch about anything w/ a black tank and/or small filler cap. yawn.)
Transworld will pick the Honda if at all possible.
RacerX will let Pingree and others ride the bikes, and they will usually say exactly what is on their mind. Kinda refreshing.

• MotoGoalie

Posted December 14, 2005 - 02:52 PM

What a pro says about a bike and what I find to be true for my abilities (NOOBISH at best) are worlds apart.

I would NEVER do anything based on a magazines test results as most of that is advertiser driven in the first place. Anything I'm interested in can be figured out by reading what you guys post on TT.

In fact the tests of the 06 YZFs by several of you are much more thorough and realistic than anything a magazine can produce.

If I want to see who paid the most coin to a magazine I'll read a MXA test. If I want to see a contradictory test I'll read DR (I'm never gonna forget thier Cannondale, bike of the decade award :applause: ).

Relevance is the real world and you guys are the real world.

• Mike_socal

Posted December 14, 2005 - 02:56 PM

This doesn't make sense:

"The Kawasaki was a close second. I loved the motor and the way it pulled. It needed to be shifted a little more than the Yamaha because of the four-speed"

I would have thought the opposite. He had to shift the Kawi more because it's a four speed?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGoalie

Posted December 14, 2005 - 02:58 PM

This doesn't make sense:

"The Kawasaki was a close second. I loved the motor and the way it pulled. It needed to be shifted a little more than the Yamaha because of the four-speed and they paid more advertising dollars"

I would have thought the opposite. He had to shift the Kawi more because it's a four speed?

Fixed your quote for truth. :applause:

• Hick

Posted December 14, 2005 - 04:18 PM

This doesn't make sense:

"The Kawasaki was a close second. I loved the motor and the way it pulled. It needed to be shifted a little more than the Yamaha because of the four-speed"

I took that to mean that he was between gears, something a little sprocket switching can fix. Maybe, on avg., the 5 spds are a tad closer spaced and so you are less likely to be between gears.

Again, nothing a new sprocket won't resolve.

• yz_for_me

Posted December 16, 2005 - 03:17 PM

What I got from this shootout is that this is a very good year to buy a 450. You absoluetly can't go wrong. What does it tell you when last's years #1 and #2 bikes were rated #3 and #4 this year? They are all damn good. I thought Alby hit it on the head with this statement.

"I want to say that the bikes were all very close. You could take any of them and win races on them. The differences we are talking about are very slight, and unless you are really riding the bike hard, you may not even notice them. I was very impressed with all of the new bikes."

• probracing1

Posted December 16, 2005 - 03:29 PM

Yep it seems as all the 450's are on par with one another performance wise...this is fantastic.
The real test, as all who visit this forum are completley aware is; how well will each manufacturer's bike hold up for the long haul i.e. valve train isues and the like.
For me, I cannot afford to replace a bike every year or two but, instead, must maintain the bike religously to keep the bike in race condition for as long as I can. Ultimately that is what I am really looking for---no major mechanical overhauls too early in the bikes lifespan.

• Butta

Posted December 16, 2005 - 09:03 PM

For me, I cannot afford to replace a bike every year or two but, instead, must maintain the bike religously to keep the bike in race condition for as long as I can. Ultimately that is what I am really looking for---no major mechanical overhauls too early in the bikes lifespan.

I think most of us fall into this category, if we want to admit it or not.....

• Satch0922

Posted December 17, 2005 - 05:59 AM

When all else fails (and beforehand)...just read MXA.

now that is funny. MXA won't even tell you who tested the bikes, gives you generic pictures and rehashes all their reviews....hell they don't even change the wording !!!!!

• Butta

Posted December 17, 2005 - 08:29 AM

I honestly believe that this forum has more useful information about new bikes to a shopper than the mags do (as long as you aren't the first one to buy one). The mags have a biased view, imo....

There's no better viewpoint than from a TT'er....the "regular guy" viewpoint.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.