gas coming out of overflow???

6 replies to this topic
  • PoorLilRich

Posted December 14, 2005 - 05:13 AM

hi i have an xr600, i think its around 1993.
anyway i barely rode it this year but when i do, ill start it up and get it runnin with the gas ON. it then starts pouring gas out the overflow hoses, why does it do this?? any ideas on how i can fix it?

• frankstr

Posted December 14, 2005 - 05:20 AM

Sounds like it's time to rebuild the carb,Must have a piece of dirt between the needle and seat.... :applause: or the float went bad...

• xr-jorger

Posted December 14, 2005 - 07:26 PM

I had the same prob this summer, clean the carb and adjust the float, that did the trick for me, while your in there rejet it :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • exaresix

Posted December 14, 2005 - 08:11 PM

This is a common problem. In most cases, when this situation develops after the bike has sat for a while, the float is stuck in the down position. The trailside remedy is to rap the float bowl with a piece of wood in attempt to dislodge it.

Next step, if the above fails, is to remove the float bowl. Three screws, difficult to access, but it can be done! Make sure the float is free to swing up and down. It should cut the fuel off when the bottom is level (or parallel to the base of the carb). This is measured, by those who care to, as 14 mm measured from the carb's base (where the bowl meets the upper carb) to the middle of the float (measured at the area of the main jet). Just make sure the float is roughly parallel to that base and you'll be in the ballpark. If the swinging bowl does not cut off the fuel when parallel, then you'll need to remove the float (push out the simple hinge rod), and bend the metal tab upward until it reaches a point where it cuts off the fuel when the float is level. This usually takes about three trials.

Next, while the bowl is off, remove the plastic splash guard that is normally fit snug around the main jet. Chances are, you will have found it jangling free in the float bowl when you removed it. It can only be placed properly when the carb is off the bike and upside down. It is not essential for normal riding, so save it for a time when the carb is removed from the bike, and upside down. This splash guard has sometimes been the culprit of overflowing carbs by coming dislodged and pinning the float bowl down.

These maneuvers should assist you with the overflowing carb syndrome.

Dave

• Fetona

Posted December 14, 2005 - 10:10 PM

hi i have an xr600, i think its around 1993.
anyway i barely rode it this year but when i do, ill start it up and get it runnin with the gas ON. it then starts pouring gas out the overflow hoses, why does it do this?? any ideas on how i can fix it?

This exact same thing happened to me when I took off my gas tank and put on another tank that a friend had given me. I guess the tank that I got from my friend had some crap in it. I took the carb off and found that a little piece of debris had gotten between the float needle and its seat. I could actually see the debris and what it was doing. Once I got rid of the debris and put it back together it fixed the problem. I installed an inline fuel filter to prevent it from happening again. And that problem has never re-occurred.

I remember that when I was out on the trail and it started leaking from the overflow, I turned the petcock so that it was almost off. Very small amount of fuel flow to the carb. This made the leaking stop. I think because such a small amount of gas was making it to the float bowl it never had a chance to over flow.

Ed

• Bigsaint

Posted December 14, 2005 - 10:52 PM

Ditto the above, check the float first. I had the same problem on my 525SX after a very wet ride ( read several near drownings). I pulled the carb, cleaned the float seat and blew some low pressure air through the passages. Problem solved. It doesn't take much, only a small speck of dirt.

• mtrhd101

Posted December 15, 2005 - 12:45 AM

Needle and seat problem most likely.. Clean the carb. and if you still have problems get a new needle, the rubber tip on the needle is probably hard since the bike is old..

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.