WR 450F (03) Misfire/splutter

30 replies to this topic
  • gregwr450f

Posted December 17, 2005 - 03:53 PM

Chook = chicken
A wombat is like a koala that can't climb trees.

• Bogieknight

Posted December 18, 2005 - 03:54 AM

Hi again All,

Thanks for all your comments.

I've considered all the evidence and it would seem that this is a common characteristic of the model. I've not yet, but will soon, give it a run with the TPS disconnected. I have however checked my carb settings and other info to see if you all believe that a re-jet will help improve things.

I am running a standard carb setup:

MJ 160
MAJ 2.0
NEEDLE OBDUQ-4
PJ 48
PAJ 80
MIXTURE SCREW 1 TURN
LJ 50
STANDARD AIR FILTER WITH SNORKEL INTACT
DEP 4STROKE POWER SLIP-ON CAN WITH STANDARD HEADERS
CR8EIX PLUG
RIDING 0-2000 FT MSL

I have considered the JD jetting kit, but it costs nearly as much to send it to England as it does to actually buy it. If there's anything in the UK/Europe that does the job, I'd love to hear about it.

Cheers

Bogieknight
:applause:

• clark4131

Posted December 18, 2005 - 10:41 AM

Perhaps I'm buying in cheap on this thread, but a 160 Main Jet is WAAAY lean for 0-2000' elevation. You should be running at least a 170 I would think, especially with an aftermarket can. I'm running a 170, and I'm at 5000'...SC

• Bogieknight

Posted December 18, 2005 - 04:00 PM

Well after a little research, I bit the bullet and ordered a JD kit and a fuel screw. Truth is I knew I'd end up doing that as it's seems the most successful option as well as being de rigeur. Once it turns up and I install it all I'll let you know. But I'll try the TPS disconnection first.

Cheers now

Bogieknight
:bonk:

• WR450F_RDR

Posted December 18, 2005 - 04:42 PM

I would have ditto the main jet being too small if you are running aftermarket exhaust, I am running a 170 main myself. How many turns are you on your pilot screw? everything else seems pretty close to spot on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted December 18, 2005 - 05:43 PM

But I'll try the TPS disconnection first.

don't bother, it will only cause slight surging at steady constant cruizing.
this is because it plays with the spark depending on revs and load.

• Bogieknight

Posted December 20, 2005 - 12:41 AM

To further progress the troubleshooting of this problem, I changed the needle height to groove #3, with TPS connected, which made things a whole lot worse (I think I posted this earlier). I have since changed the height to groove #5. This does seem to have helped a little but I am noticing more popping from the exhaust on the overrun. I assume this will be due to slightly more fuel running through the carb.

With the groove height at #5, I have run the bike with and without the TPS connected. There was a marked improvement of the running with the TPS disconnected but by no means was it cured. With it connected the bike was hiccupping quite unpleasantly between 1/4 and 3/4 throttle, but okay when accelerating hard/full throttle.

Disconnected, the spluttering isn't as bad but is apparent on constant throttle and decelleration. Once again it's fine when under full throttle.

I intend to return the needle to standard height (#4) and run again with the TPS disconnected. I'll check a few other things out whilst I'm there but I'm really just hoping that the JD kit will iron out the majority of the problems.

Another consideration is that the air temp is hovering between 0-4 degs C and it's quite damp too: ideal conditions for carb icing but I'm unsure whether this model has any history of that.

Watch this space.....

Bogieknight

• clark4131

Posted December 20, 2005 - 06:14 AM

Elevation 0 to 4,000. feet

30 to 45 degrees: 172 main, JD Blue #5, 48 Pilot, 2.0 turns, 75 starter jet, #0 leak jet
45 to 60 degrees: 170 main, JD Blue #4, 48 Pilot, 1.75 turns, 72 starter jet, #0 leak jet
60 to 75 degrees: 168 main, JD Blue #3 or JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.5 turns, 70 starter jet, #40 leak jet
75 to 90 degrees: 165 main, JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.25 turns, 68 starter jet, #50 leak jet
90 degrees plus: 160 main, JD Red #4, 45 Pilot, 2.0 turns, 65 starter jet, #60 leak jet

Go to a 172 Main...SC

• MathProf

Posted December 20, 2005 - 06:19 AM

ACV!! Right :bonk: :cry: :cry:

Sorry about the confusion. :applause:

• bomax

Posted December 20, 2005 - 08:02 AM

iam running at 0 degrees and lower as welland sea level.,iam riding it on the street in motard form,i spent 3 weeks messing with it and with the help of the guys here its a ripper now and nearly butter smooth.its a 06 wr.

all free mods,yosh trc slipon(no arrestor).

tps disconnected on street,
170 main
blue #4
48 pilot
2.25 on the fuel screw.

i really think i could use a 50 pilot then lean the screw out but its fine now and only is a bit hesitent wwhen its like -4 or werse.blue number 5 is usable as well,it feels "softer "in power deivery tough.

all other jets are stock,i need a richer starter jet for sure,its a bitch when i let it sit outside for a few hrs in 0 deg weather.

when the tps plugged in, it makes it so annying on the street its sick.

To further progress the troubleshooting of this problem, I changed the needle height to groove #3, with TPS connected, which made things a whole lot worse (I think I posted this earlier). I have since changed the height to groove #5. This does seem to have helped a little but I am noticing more popping from the exhaust on the overrun. I assume this will be due to slightly more fuel running through the carb.

With the groove height at #5, I have run the bike with and without the TPS connected. There was a marked improvement of the running with the TPS disconnected but by no means was it cured. With it connected the bike was hiccupping quite unpleasantly between 1/4 and 3/4 throttle, but okay when accelerating hard/full throttle.

Disconnected, the spluttering isn't as bad but is apparent on constant throttle and decelleration. Once again it's fine when under full throttle.

I intend to return the needle to standard height (#4) and run again with the TPS disconnected. I'll check a few other things out whilst I'm there but I'm really just hoping that the JD kit will iron out the majority of the problems.

Another consideration is that the air temp is hovering between 0-4 degs C and it's quite damp too: ideal conditions for carb icing but I'm unsure whether this model has any history of that.

Watch this space.....

Bogieknight

• Bogieknight

Posted December 20, 2005 - 05:12 PM

Hi!

I rode the bike again to work tonight and it felt like a different bike! Most of my journey is motorway/dual carriageway (freeway to US readers!).

It's still running the needle height at #5 and the TPS is disconnected. There was still a little lumpiness when rolling off the throttle from say 3/4 to 1/4 or close but at a constant throttle it was nearly non-existant.

I must note that the ambient temp was higher than the last 2 journeys made; up to about 5-6 degs C. So I would imagine the cooler conditions that I reported on last weren't good for my carb setup.

I'm hoping it won't be too long before the JD kit arrives so that I can have a good stab at sorting it out properly.

Keep your comments coming. The feedback is brilliant and extremely helpful.

Cheers

Bogieknight

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.