01 YZ426 fork job

4 replies to this topic
  • david857

Posted December 13, 2005 - 06:36 PM

Me and my buddy were gonna tackle changing my fork seals and putting new bushings in on my 01 YZ426 and I was wondering if anyway has done that before on this bike.

If anyone has how hard will it be to do without a manual?

How long should the job take?

• CRFThumper

Posted December 14, 2005 - 05:35 AM

Seals and bushings take me about an hour after they are off the bike.Some may do it faster some may do it slower but thats a good avg. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2005 - 07:50 AM

It's a piece of cake. Read:

http://www.thumperfa.../fork_seals.htm

I know the page is for a 250F, but the forks are the same.

Recommendations:

Buy a seal driver, or take some time and make a good one. They are absolutely worth it. Remember that you will pay a shop $120 or more for this job before you balk at spending the money/time.

Check for nicks and for vertical scratches that are large enough to feel with a fingernail. If you find them, sand them out with 250-180 grit wet/dry. Don't worry about the finish, the normal fork operation will restore that in a short while.

• Matt96xr6

Posted December 14, 2005 - 08:05 AM

it really is all about the tools. If you have the fork seal drivers, the job is really simple.

Be sure to get a complete kit. you may want to try the pivot works kit with everything. if you are purchasing seperately, be sure to get new wipers also with the seals. I know ProX makes some good priced seal and wiper kits through WPS

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted December 14, 2005 - 04:41 PM

Check for nicks and for vertical scratches that are large enough to feel with a fingernail. If you find them, sand them out with 250-180 grit wet/dry. Don't worry about the finish, the normal fork operation will restore that in a short while.

Very good tip. I would imagine that even what appears to be a small nick or scratch could cause perfectly good seals to leaks.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.