Catastrophic Failure??? I really need some help please.

47 replies to this topic
  • Frostbite

Posted December 14, 2005 - 05:22 PM

Frostbite,
Holy smokes, you obliterated that clutch basket!! :bonk:
When it fails like that, I understand you can replace the basket, rebuild the clutch, etc. But I would assume you are still going to have to split the cases (at a minimum) to collect all the broken metal bits and wash out all the fragments?
What is the minimum that must be done?

When a basket explodes like that you definitely want a full teardown to wash out all metal fragments and that's what I did. If just one or 2 fingers broke and they stayed in big pieces and you found 'em all, you might get away with a good flush.
Mine was very ground up so I experimented a bit. I drained the oil, filled it a few times with kerosene and shook it around and drained it to see how effective it would be. Then I tore it down and split the cases. Most of the metal did wash out but there was a lot clogging the oil pickup screen and there was chunks of metal stuck to the magnet inside the flywheel and between gear teeth, forced in as the gears meshed. Basically if you suspect small pieces of metal are floating around you need to tear down completely.
Another thing I thought of is the kickstart mechanism. I broke the little arm that holds the spring in place and it jammed in the clutch basket gear. It's super hard so it didn't get chewed up and I just replaced it and changed the oil.
My point is that it could be something simple and there's nothing worse than finding that out just after you split the cases. :applause:

A full teardown is not bad if you have a bit of mechanical experience and take your time. There's lots of pieces but the manual is pretty good. I used the teardown as an excuse to pop in a set of hotcams and a 430 kit.

• old man dan

Posted December 14, 2005 - 06:00 PM

The clutch basket and kickstart were just the sort of things I meant when I said primary drive. Plus, if you take off the clutch basket you can feel whether it's in the trans or crank because they are now separated. The only way to learn how to do this kind of work is to just do it. Gat a manual and take photos along the way. It also helps alot to bag everything in groups as you tear down. Keep all the parts carefully organized. When you do fix something yourself you get a lot of satisfaction plus you understand your machine better. Back in the day you had to be a pretty good mechanic to ride and race because the machines were so fragile now the bikes are generally so good lots of people never have to do anything other than oil and plug changes.

• Matty05

Posted December 18, 2005 - 06:06 PM

I used the teardown as an excuse to pop in a set of hotcams and a 430 kit[/URL].

Good stuff! Turn your misfortune into a positive thing! :applause:

• Motone82

Posted December 19, 2005 - 01:58 PM

Well I just got the estimate. It is going to be between $3000-$3500 to fix. The only things that are salvageable are the head and the clutch. It ruined every gear, bearing, and shaft in the motor. The crank is bent the rod is twisted 180 degrees It ruined the piston and the cylinder. It broke both cases. I don't know what to do. Should I part it out? It is California street legal. Should I look for a used motor? Do you think I could have it fixed elsewhere cheaper? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• Matty05

Posted December 19, 2005 - 03:52 PM

See how much the parts would cost at the dealers, then you know where you stand.

Looking for an engine at the wreckers might buy you the same problems.
for $3000 - $3500 you could probably buy another '03 (how much do they go for over there?). May be a YZ?

• MotoGoalie

Posted December 19, 2005 - 03:58 PM

Well I just got the estimate. It is going to be between $3000-$3500 to fix. The only things that are salvageable are the head and the clutch. It ruined every gear, bearing, and shaft in the motor. The crank is bent the rod is twisted 180 degrees It ruined the piston and the cylinder. It broke both cases. I don't know what to do. Should I part it out? It is California street legal. Should I look for a used motor? Do you think I could have it fixed elsewhere cheaper? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

It sounds like your dead in the water. bummer

I'd part it out, or keep it around for a project.

Go buy you a new one. :applause:

• Punisher660

Posted December 19, 2005 - 04:00 PM

buy a used engine. Cheaper than a rebuild and quicker as well. No matter what you do, its cheaper than a new bike. That sux, keep us posted and let us know what you do.

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 19, 2005 - 04:53 PM

Since it has a CA plate it is probably worth it to rebuild. That plate is golden on a 450. Keep an eye on ebay.

• MathProf

Posted December 19, 2005 - 05:43 PM

I had to get my gearbox fixed on my 04 WR 450.

I took the motor apart down to the cases. Basically, everything I could without special tools.

I took it into a dealership. Basically they split the cases replaced the gears(3rd, 5th, 2 shifting forks) and put it together in 3 hrs. Cost $450.

The problem was the parts were back ordered...for 6 weeks! :applause: :bonk: :cry:

I replaced the rings after the rebuild. I don't think the motor needs more power.

• old man dan

Posted December 19, 2005 - 05:50 PM

Find a used motor or part it out. Theres no way I'd spend that kind of money on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncampion

Posted December 19, 2005 - 06:23 PM

The VIN and Ca. plate are worth fixing it. Hard to imagine what could cause that much damage. Watch ebay for a motor. Good luck.

• bcs

Posted December 20, 2005 - 04:00 PM

The only things that are salvageable are the head and the clutch. It ruined every gear, bearing, and shaft in the motor. The crank is bent the rod is twisted 180 degrees It ruined the piston and the cylinder. It broke both cases.

Motone,
Sorry to hear about your bike. The only good thing I can think of is that if there's gonna be a catastrophe then I'd rather it be an engine failure than a crash report!
The extent of the damage seems pretty massive. Which part actually failed? How could a rod twist 180 degrees?
Hope you are able to locate a used bike or find a used motor so you can keep you CA plate. Good luck!
Brian

• Motone82

Posted December 20, 2005 - 05:33 PM

Thanks guys. I brought the bike home in boxes today. Needless to say i am pretty bummed.

• MTRSPORTDAN

Posted December 20, 2005 - 08:51 PM

I may be interested in your frame with the title. As I am sure a lot of people would be with it being plated.

• Motone82

Posted December 20, 2005 - 10:01 PM

make me an offer I cant refuse. I am into this bike for a ton of money!

• ISBB

Posted December 21, 2005 - 02:51 PM

can you post pictures of the damage now that you got it home... im really curious about this rod and bent crank thing...

• MotoGoalie

Posted December 21, 2005 - 02:59 PM

I'll take your wheels, especially the rear 18".

and maybe your header.

Price please.

email is

olympus40@earthlink.net

• Motone82

Posted December 22, 2005 - 09:41 PM

I can sell you my stock header. It has a low boy Ti-4 on it now. The wheels are not stock. They are black DID's with big spokes and it has a 20" front and an 18" rear. Aftermarket rotors O/S and Ironman sprocket. Not sure if that is what you are looking for.

• DougWood

Posted December 23, 2005 - 04:32 PM

Search Ebay for the motor. Also post in the Wanted sections here and other forums. If you can wait you will probably find a way out that isn't TOO bad.

• ARin

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:42 PM

Some dude has a complete yz motor here...not sure if that is a good price or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWD1V

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.