Catastrophic Failure??? I really need some help please.

47 replies to this topic
  • Motone82

Posted December 13, 2005 - 04:24 PM

I went riding today and was going at a decent pace. I was standing up on the bike and went to pin it. Did not shift just gave it more throttle. For a split second something seemed to slip and then instantly locked up. I did a slide for close to 100 yards and the bike was locked. I can't shift it. I can't start it with the electric start. The kick starter won't budge. I did get the bike to roll, but it didn't sound good. I was able to roll the bike backwards but not forward. Then it would roll forward and would lock up again. I really need some help. Montclair Yamaha wants $600 just to diagnose. Anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it. Thanks

• SmallMonkey

Posted December 13, 2005 - 04:28 PM

Sounds like something in the Tranny gave?

• Answer_250f

Posted December 13, 2005 - 04:29 PM

sounds to me like you broke a rod have you tore it down and looked at it?

• Motone82

Posted December 13, 2005 - 04:37 PM

Have not tore it apart. I just got home.

• byggd

Posted December 13, 2005 - 04:41 PM

Sounds like something in the Tranny gave?

I agree. If it was the rod it would at least shift gears, right? :applause:

• Lightningale

Posted December 13, 2005 - 04:47 PM

:ride: that "backwards but not forwards" makes me think rod as well, usally when a tranny locks, it locks completely. But none of us will know till you or someone tears into it. keep us posted. Sorry to hear about your dilema :applause:

• Motone82

Posted December 13, 2005 - 05:11 PM

OK, I just drained the oil. I have a magnetic drain plug and there are what looks to be teeth from a gear attached. May be needle bearings but looks like teeth.

• Matty05

Posted December 13, 2005 - 05:28 PM

I would look around and get the best price for a rebuild.

Now is a good time to get hotcams, high comp piston, porting etc done.
Turn your misfortune into a good thing.

3rd and 5th gear go in the older models, what year is yours?

• Motone82

Posted December 13, 2005 - 06:04 PM

I would look around and get the best price for a rebuild.

Now is a good time to get hotcams, high comp piston, porting etc done.
Turn your misfortune into a good thing.

3rd and 5th gear go in the older models, what year is yours?

Mine is an '03. i had no idea that this was a problem. i and my brother have had several older YZF's and WR's and never had a problem. What is the normal cost I can expect to fix this? Thanks for all the help.

• Matty05

Posted December 13, 2005 - 06:40 PM

normal cost? nothing is normal!!!!
I'm in australia so I cant really say on price, but it just cost a mate $600 to get his YZ250 2 smoke gearbox fixed after it spat 3rd and 5th (same shaft).
It depends on how much damage the teeth have done, or if it is gearbox at all!
$600 sounds a bit expensive, but they do have to tear the engine down and split cases.

I would send it to an engine builder - they would do a much better job and know a lot more than Yamaha shop.

It is painful, I know. All the joys of riding.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motone82

Posted December 13, 2005 - 06:43 PM

Thanks Matty

• old man dan

Posted December 13, 2005 - 07:39 PM

Can you do the teardown yourself? maybe you could at least take down the clutch and see if its something in the primary drive (you might get lucky). If you have to get into the tranny then you could at least teardown the top end and both sides and save some labour cost by only brining in the center case section. If you have decent tools and some experience (or know someone with experience) transmissions aren't all that scary, try it yourself.

• Motone82

Posted December 13, 2005 - 07:40 PM

Thank you old man dan. I just may try this.

• Moondogger

Posted December 13, 2005 - 09:20 PM

Take it to Rob Barnum. www.barnumspro.com.

He'll tell you what's wrong and fix it for less than $600.

• MotoGoalie

Posted December 14, 2005 - 08:32 AM

Thank you old man dan. I just may try this.

Seriously, it's blown up so you might as well work on it yourself if your at all intrepid about these things.

My suggestion, take digital pics all along the way so you know how and what it looks likes. The manual is a must.

Sounds bad though.

How many miles do you think you had on your bike?

• Flooder305

Posted December 14, 2005 - 10:45 AM

I agree with Old Man Dan, do it yourself. You're not going to be riding anytime soon sending it to a shop anyway. This way you'll save yourself that money, and you might just learn something along the way. You know you've got a wealth of info right here from the smarties.....

• Frostbite

Posted December 14, 2005 - 11:14 AM

You may have blown the clutch basket. Lay the bike on it's side and spin out the bolts and remove the circular cover.
I broke my basket and my engine would lock up in one direction like yours. The broken basket fingers were getting pulled into the gears one way but would just bounce off the teeth the other way. It's worth a quick look and only takes a few minutes to pop the cover off.
If you look closely at this picture you can see that the fingers from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock are missing.
Start with the simple stuff before you get into a full teardown.

• stanleigh12

Posted December 14, 2005 - 11:33 AM

Call Bill Nicoll at 949 218-2747

• bcs

Posted December 14, 2005 - 02:23 PM

Frostbite,
Holy smokes, you obliterated that clutch basket!! :applause:
When it fails like that, I understand you can replace the basket, rebuild the clutch, etc. But I would assume you are still going to have to split the cases (at a minimum) to collect all the broken metal bits and wash out all the fragments?
What is the minimum that must be done?

• ToooFaarOutt

Posted December 14, 2005 - 02:29 PM

My brothers bike blew 3rd gear it was a 2001 yz426 he took it to the shop and they wanted $2800.00 there was other issues besides the blown 3rd gear once they tore in to it the cams were chewing up the head. Needless to say he sold the bike with the motor torn down for $1200.00.
Has anybody had a shop do a total rebuild? If so what did it run you?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.