What is my XR600 worth?

14 replies to this topic
  • fig

Posted December 13, 2005 - 03:06 PM

I thinking about selling my 88 xr600 that has has been dual sported, so it does have a California plate.

Barnum put a new cam, hardened rockers, piston, and valves a couple of hundred miles ago. It also has a edelbrock carb.

I rarely ride the bike, I bought a Cannondale just over a year ago and the poor xr sits :applause: .

It is a super clean bike. I don't know if you would find a nicer 88 anywhere.

So what do you think it worth? Could I get $1,700 for it? Or is that a dream?

I spent way too much having Rob do the motor.

Thanks,

Allen

• Supplicate

Posted December 13, 2005 - 03:46 PM

this thread needs pics.

• TREADMARKS

Posted December 13, 2005 - 04:10 PM

this thread needs pics.

Ditto:

If ya post a few good pics, someone will just hafta have it.

• nate992v

Posted December 14, 2005 - 08:37 AM

Especially if it is plated. IMHO, that alone is worth $1700.

• fig

Posted December 14, 2005 - 08:52 AM

I'll take some pictures this weekend.

Thanks

• exaresix

Posted December 14, 2005 - 08:25 PM

"Clean" can mean, well-washed with new decals, or it can mean the bike is stock. Your bike is not stock. Despite the great mods you may have made, the highest prices are reserved for bikes that have not been modified. Why? Nine times out of ten, the mods cause problems, i.e. an Edlebrock carb is placed, but is not ideally mated to the proper inflow or exhaust; or the jets are wrong. This causes imense headaches for the new owner, who canot know all the nuances of what may have been done...but he can certainly deal with a bike that has been left stock. In the latter case, if it doesn't work right, it needs to be cleaned or replaced.

For anyone to give an assessment of your bike, there would need to be a pic, in which people will zero in on details like how gaffed up the engine cases are. Also, since this bike is not "clean" it would have to be ridden. This includes how difficult it may be to start. The XR600 has a bad reputation for wearing out the operator who is kicking away at a motor that won't start because it is just slightly out of tune.

DT

• Shawn_Mc

Posted December 15, 2005 - 08:59 AM

IF it has a plate, Id put it up for $2500.00 and let somebody beat you back down. Ive seen guys under price things and it gives the idea that there's something wrong with the bike. If you hit it about 25% too high with an OBO on it, you'll get somebody to look at it. Especially at this time of year in CA. Being plated it can be ridden anywhere at any time of year too...another plus. Guys are wiling to look at that as a huge plus. Honestly, until I had somebody in front of me after they've buzzed the thing up and down the street I wouldnt even mention the motor mods until they asked why it was so damn fast...Just make sure it starts easy...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fig

Posted December 15, 2005 - 10:20 AM

It does start first kick every kick (if it set's a while it might take three- 1 month or so).

I didn't mean to confuse people with stock or modified vs clean. Clean as in your helmet is sure clean. It is a dirt bike so it's not new, but it is in great shape and is clean.

Thanks for the answers and now I need to decide if I sell it or keep it for a spare.

:applause: :bonk: :cry:

• HawkGT

Posted December 15, 2005 - 11:54 AM

AFAIK, stock means stock and clean means clean. "Clean" has never meant "stock" in my book.

• ThunderChicken

Posted December 15, 2005 - 12:23 PM

if it is clean i'd start at 2500 and let somebody work you down to around $1900 or so.

XR and CA lic. plate is good as gold nowadays, in my opinon.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted December 15, 2005 - 05:21 PM

It does start first kick every kick (if it set's a while it might take three- 1 month or so).

I didn't mean to confuse people with stock or modified vs clean. Clean as in your helmet is sure clean. It is a dirt bike so it's not new, but it is in great shape and is clean.

Thanks for the answers and now I need to decide if I sell it or keep it for a spare.

:applause: :bonk: :cry:

I have absolutely no desire to offend you, but selling your XR on the reliability of a Cannondale seems.....uhh.....are you one of those guys that takes a dare no matter how nuts?

• exaresix

Posted December 15, 2005 - 06:14 PM

HawkGT:

What is your definition of "clean"?

Dave

• MotoGoalie

Posted December 16, 2005 - 09:24 AM

If you don't need to sell it, don't.

A good, running bike is always a plus, even if its old and especially in light of the fact that you have a cannondale.

Isn't the cannondale the most unreliable bike ever made in the modern era?

• fig

Posted December 16, 2005 - 09:49 AM

Isn't the cannondale the most unreliable bike ever made in the modern era?

If it was I wouldn’t be thinking of selling my XR.

Both my son and I have dales ( crank n fail, crack n fail, cannon fodder,.....), neither of us has been left stranded. Yes, when Cannondale failed to stay in business they left some reliability issues open. The most serious of these was an unbalance crank. There were eight of "us" at Gorman last weekend, none left broken. They are a little more complicated due to the fuel injection.

One of the guys was riding a crf450x took my bike for a ride. He liked the suspension and the bottom to mid range. His bike had a better top end. My son's bike has a different map (program) in it, his has more response and more top end. He was surprised and the son's bikes power, his cr did pull better at upper RPM's. For the riding that I do, I need the bottom to mid range. I'm too old and fat to go fast! Besides I don't bounce like I used to.

I was coming back from buying my dale when I went to Barnums to pick up my XR after he freshened it up, since that time I have ridden the XR very little. I ride it on the street once in a while. The dale is also dual sported, I just hate paying for insurance on both bikes.

I have not 100% decided to sell the XR, I do like having a spare bike.

Thanks again for the comments. I like the idea of starting high and working down.

• SoCalTrailrider

Posted December 18, 2005 - 11:13 AM

I sold my 1998 XR600 in July 05', it was plated (1/04) with a Baja Kit. I was the second owner. I listed it for $3,000 here on TT and had a number of interested parties w/ offers lined up. With in 2 days of talking with all that were interested, I sold the bike for $2,750 sight unseen. Had to turn many away after it was sold too.

The bike was extremely reliable, never failed and always started on the first kick. (super single experience pays, newbies will learn fast) It left my possesion in better condition than when I bought it. I did not do any motor mods, it came to me with the jetting set for the California high desert. Like stated before in the thread, these bikes are like gold. If I did not find my current 2000 XR650 with a plate on it I would have kept the 600; but I sold for the same reason as you, paying for insurance on both bikes.

It is a tough choice, I still kind of regret not keeping it to make a Super Motard bike. Something to think about if it's in the budget....

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.