cr500 vs. kx500

99 replies to this topic
  • x2468

Posted December 13, 2005 - 10:37 AM

which is better at what? and why?

• bbbom

Posted December 13, 2005 - 10:49 AM

Main differences I noticed from one ride on a KX500, and why I bought my CR500 is that KX's are better at wide open stuff, longer rake means they don't turn as easily but they are not as prone to headshake at highspeed.

CR's have a shorter rake, turn easier but are known to produce headshake which is not a problem in the woods cause you usually aren't going straight too long.

Other than that, red is just prettier than green plus you can ride red during hunting season.

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted December 13, 2005 - 11:43 AM

The KX is more stable at high speed. Nothing else about the KX is better.
Reliability......CR

Resale......CR

Reliability......CR

Changes in the bike since 89 KX=0, CR=several (suspension being key)

Reliability........CR

Rattletrap.......KX (you better threadlock every bolt or you'll lose them on the trail

Reliability........CR

Crappy nickiwatever coating on the piston.........KX

The ability to buy in a modern aluminum frame.......CR(thanks service honda)

We don't need no stinking powervalves!.....CR

:applause:

• 99wr400

Posted December 13, 2005 - 07:08 PM

Transmission strength and durability: CR

If you seize the top end, and need to re-bore, hone, and put a new
piston/rings/wristpin in the CR: about $200

Seize the KX, and you will need to re-bore, re-plate, then rebore it again to acheive the desired dimensions, then re-hone it, ($180 plus shipping from moto814, who has very good prices) plus a piston/rings/wristpin (about $120-130): $300+ dollars

The CR500 cylinder can be bore many times, the KX can be overbored once.

The KX has a powervalve that needs maintainance.

The CR500 was last updated with some slight suspension stuff in 1999 I believe, and had an all new suspension set-up in 1996.

The CR has much more aftermarket add-ons available, and it is easier to find

The KX is butt-ugly IMO

The KX500 has a PWK carburetor (the one thing better than what comes stock on the CR500)

The CR500's carburetor still works great, and is easier to tune than the PWK's are.

I'll put it this way: A guy offered to trade me his mint condition 2000 KX500 for my old clapped out WR420, and I declined his offer. I had been trying to sell the WR for over 6 months.

• NorCal

Posted December 13, 2005 - 09:41 PM

Pick the CR500. It's a Honda... enough said.

• 99wr400

Posted December 13, 2005 - 09:43 PM

Servicehonda.com is another plus for the CR, they offer very low prices. TT isn't an option for me, since my computer won't show any prices or anything.

• huntmaster

Posted December 14, 2005 - 09:47 AM

Nothing wrong with the Kawi but it's hard to beat the Honda's durability. Infinitely reborable steel liner, no powervalve maintenance, strong gearbox and chassis. If you go to any local pit or riding area around the country and see a twenty year old crosser still riding around... there's a good chance it's a CR500!

• dorkpunch

Posted December 14, 2005 - 10:02 AM

pig said it all. the kx i've ridden was like flipping a light switch- no inbetween, all go. the cr was "tamer" if thats possible for a big-bore 2smoke, and meant you could ride it a lot harder. i am by no means a show-off stunt kinda guy, but ridding 5th gear wheelies on the cr was cake. the kx was fun to drag race on roads and WIDE open fields, but on the track it sucked and i dont even want to think what it would be like in tight twisty trees/singletrack. and the kx's cyclinder was re-plated twice in the 6 months my freind had it before it was stolen. so if you ever see a mid 90s kx 500 with a silver frame and works replica stickers, let me know.

• BigDeSto53

Posted December 14, 2005 - 03:20 PM

I have this
Posted Image

and have had 86,88,90,92 and 99 KX500!

The KX engine is better! LIKE SOMEONE SAID POWER VALVE!

The old CR500's had headshake like you wouldn't believe but could turn under a KX on a TIGHT TRACK! My NEW 500 turns great due to the CR250 Alum frame!!

If anyone wants a KXF450 frame w/ a KX500 engine?? Tracktime will be making them! Let me know if anyone wants info!

• BigDeSto53

Posted December 14, 2005 - 03:23 PM

Servicehonda.com is another plus for the CR, they offer very low prices. TT isn't an option for me, since my computer won't show any prices or anything.

This place is cheaper then Service Honda! Got my Cr500 cylinder for $286 compared to $380-410.

• NorCal

Posted December 14, 2005 - 09:52 PM

[quote name='BigDeSto53']I have this
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/BigDesto/DSC02303.jpg[QUOTE]

WoW, that is a nice bike!

• idahoexcr500

Posted December 15, 2005 - 05:59 AM

I have had three CR500s, 85, 88 and 89 models, I have also ridden several KX 500s from different years. The KX500 is more stable at high speed and due to the powe valve the engine makes a little more power. However, the CR500 engines rev much faster and are more fun to ride. Durability is way better on the Honda overall. Both vibrate quite a bit but you get used to it. I would go for nothing older than a 89 model CR500, the newer chassis Honda started using in 89 is much better than the older ones. I currently ride an 05 CRF450R and while its more stable than my CR500s were it does not turn as well.

• DaisyCutter

Posted December 15, 2005 - 08:46 AM

Durability on the Honda may be better, but 500cc two-strokes require a lot of maintenance. My 2001 CR500 has had 4 pistons and 2 cylinders. The cylinder is boreable... provided it doesn't crack.

Pistons crack, pipes crack, radiators crack, frames crack, every component is a victim of VIBRATION. I buy locktite by the 64oz bottle.

The 500's beat you up, wear you out, blister your hands, and give you headaches.

They are fun to polish, and fun to drag race, even fun to putt around on.

For REAL riding, they just aren't practical. Take it from a guy who's actually raced one. Sure I can pull away from a CRF450 as we exit a corner, but ultimately he'll be able to control the 450 longer then I can hang onto the CR500.

The powere is fun for a while, but it eventually becomes irritating always having to hang on for your life.

• BigDeSto53

Posted December 15, 2005 - 09:05 AM

You must not know how to properly take care of your bikes!!
If your bike is jetting correctly there is no need to be replacing your piston or rings for a yr or two EASY!!! Cracked pistons?? &%$#@!?? Running a tad lean? :applause:

• bbbom

Posted December 15, 2005 - 09:22 AM

Aw Daisycutter, your just a party pooper! :bonk:

Maybe you need a bigger bike that can stand up to your riding style - whatever happened to that ATK700? :applause:

• blvd619

Posted December 15, 2005 - 11:19 AM

I have owned both. I personally liked the KX better, but I ride desert mainly. The CR was much more reliable I do agree with that. The KX felt way better to me. I did blow the top end bad, needed a new cylinder etc on the KX. When I got it back togather it just never ran right again. I think the KX is a better bike in terms of handling, spectrum of power, etc; but get rid of it before it breaks big time because it will never feel the same again. Just not Honda quality.

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted December 15, 2005 - 03:01 PM

diasy, if you'd like something that doesn't vibrate much, I know of a clean KDX 220 you can buy. You won't have to worry abour your poor hands getting blistered. :applause:

• 99wr400

Posted December 16, 2005 - 04:47 PM

You must not know how to properly take care of your bikes!!
If your bike is jetting correctly there is no need to be replacing your piston or rings for a yr or two EASY!!! Cracked pistons?? &%$#@!?? Running a tad lean? :applause:

If you ride a lot, your top end should be rebuilt atleast once a year with a 500. With other bikes that would be about 3-4 rebuilds per year. Pistons crack when the toleranced get too loose, and they "slap" around in the cylinder. :bonk: You should do your research before posting something stupid like that.

• triple 7

Posted December 16, 2005 - 06:55 PM

I've had both and the kx is faster in a drag race, but the cr is way more comfortable, easer to ride. Both bikes I had were very tough, like and old hammer. :applause: :bonk:

• 73effie

Posted December 16, 2005 - 07:10 PM

Durability on the Honda may be better, but 500cc two-strokes require a lot of maintenance. My 2001 CR500 has had 4 pistons and 2 cylinders. The cylinder is boreable... provided it doesn't crack.

Pistons crack, pipes crack, radiators crack, frames crack, every component is a victim of VIBRATION. I buy locktite by the 64oz bottle.

The 500's beat you up, wear you out, blister your hands, and give you headaches.

They are fun to polish, and fun to drag race, even fun to putt around on.

For REAL riding, they just aren't practical. Take it from a guy who's actually raced one. Sure I can pull away from a CRF450 as we exit a corner, but ultimately he'll be able to control the 450 longer then I can hang onto the CR500.

The powere is fun for a while, but it eventually becomes irritating always having to hang on for your life.

Dude, go to the gym, get into shape, and remove your tail from between your legs. CR500's are as easy to handle as any big bore bike, 450 or otherwwise. :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

CR250 Swingarm by 2StrokestheFuture

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Pro-Circuit Head and Cylinder Modifications Service '07 CR250 by Speeddemon73

• Hot  98 replies
Forums
Photo

CR500 Paul Stoffer AF ? by H4L

• Hot  25 replies
Forums
Photo

What should I get for my next bike? by JHodel20

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 20 replies
Forums
Photo

CR 250 head reshaping? by sandy450

• Hot  58 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.