Solving the metal in the oil issue

7 replies to this topic
  • tom nolan

Posted December 12, 2005 - 03:04 PM

I took the advise of one of our members after reading his thread concerning his problem that sounded similar to my problem with metal in the oil filter. Along with metal in the filter, I had this pulsation sound coming from the engine. He recommended replacing the big end bearing on the crank. I did this buy replacing the crankshaft with a new one from Yamaha. Bingo, the problem is gone. No metal in the filter and no metal in the filter. What a genius

• 642MX

Posted December 12, 2005 - 03:26 PM

What kind of bike do you have? How much money did it cost for the total job?

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 12, 2005 - 04:22 PM

Sounds like you had a more serious issue! I've had metal in the filter since day 1 in year 2001; if the big end rod bearing had been failing all that time I think it would have let go by now. :applause:

• tom nolan

Posted December 13, 2005 - 09:08 AM

1998 YZ400. I did all the engine work myself. The cost of the parts from Thumper OEM was about $350.00. (but If you asked my wife it was under $100.00). I had the old engine crank torn out, reinstalled in the bike and fired up in about 6 hours, from start to finish. The bike is a piece of work and easy to to maintain. I ran it out in the desert last weekend, (by the way, it was 74 deg. for all of you that might be freezing this time of year) put about 100 fast miles on it, pulled the filter and only found rag fuzz. It will be good to go for many more years to come.

Riding area-Plaster City West
Yz 400
15 front and 44 rear sprocket
50/50 avgas and 91 octane

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted December 13, 2005 - 05:45 PM

Did the 98' have steel or aluminum plates in the clutch?

• 642MX

Posted December 13, 2005 - 07:30 PM

That wasn't as much money as I thought. TT must have some good deals.

• tom nolan

Posted December 14, 2005 - 08:00 AM

The 98's have steel plates. When riding in the desert, you very seldom use the clutch anyway.

• SXP

Posted December 14, 2005 - 08:22 AM

I took the advise of one of our members after reading his thread concerning his problem that sounded similar to my problem with metal in the oil filter. Along with metal in the filter, I had this pulsation sound coming from the engine. He recommended replacing the big end bearing on the crank. I did this buy replacing the crankshaft with a new one from Yamaha. Bingo, the problem is gone. No metal in the filter and no metal in the filter. What a genius

That would be moi :bonk: ... and you are welcome.

The only thing I would have done differently seeing that you put a new crank in, is I would have replaced it with a 426 crank (bigger diameter small end-19 mm) which would have allowed you to punch the sucker out to 444 cc. This is what I have done on both my 99 WRs. Anyway, enjoy the bike with the rejuvenated motor :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.