Oil Capacity Question on 2006 450f

2 replies to this topic
  • fastlane25

Posted December 12, 2005 - 01:15 PM

The owners manual has confused me, probably because I am easily confused. It states qty for periodic oil changes to be 1.15L, and with oil filter replacement 1.25L. However, it then states a total amount of 1.40L.

My question is........ If I drain everything, including oil filter housing, do I put 1.4L back in? If not, please elaborate and educate this 2-stroker convert.

BTW, I love the bike. It's absolutely awesome.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jimmmyzz

Posted December 12, 2005 - 03:57 PM

My book (page 3-16) says periodc is 1.00 quart. With oil filter replacement 1.06 quarts (just a table spoon more). And total 1.27 quarts (Complete tear down). So to answer your question a periodic oil change, with a filter change or not, only needs 1.00 quart.

• grayracer513

Posted December 12, 2005 - 04:06 PM

You can't "drain everything". It won't all come out, no matter what you do. Only on the initial build will the engine use the full amount listed. The thing to do is to put in just short of the minmum, then start the engine, run it for about a minute to scavenge the cases, then check the oil level on the dipstick. Add as required, run it again to movethe added oil to the oil reservoir, and check it again. Once you arrive at the correct amount, note how much you used, so you can put the same in next time.

Also note that there is a different oil level when cold than there is when up to operating temperature. And clean or replace the filter with every oil change.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.