GYT-R AIS Removal Kit

25 replies to this topic
  • Moondogger

Posted December 12, 2005 - 11:38 AM

So I'm finally removing the AIS on my '05 WR450. I can't believe I waited this long.

After researching the removal kits, there's basically two, the GYT-R kit and the Lowedog/Thumpertalk kit. I know pretty much everyone in here are big supporters of the Lowedog kit, however, with the GYT-R kit all you're doing is capping the fittings, not actually removing them.

If for some strange reason if I would ever have to put the AIS back on (when I sell the bike, park rangers getting wise to the fact the AIS has to do with the Green Sticker), then with the GYT-R kit it wouldn't be a problem.

Also, I've read that some people are having a hard time removing the fittings and the plugs won't seat right.

Anyways, awaiting your suggestions.

-Alex

• rich1167

Posted December 12, 2005 - 11:50 AM

I used the TT kit. It was easy to install. I kept all the fittings and assume it wouldn't be that hard to reinstall them. They weren't that hard to remove. The plugs fit well and I used a little high temp RTV on them. I don't know anything about the other kits.

• tony1970

Posted December 12, 2005 - 04:33 PM

Buy the TT kit. It is a much cleaner kit and is easy to install. It makes it even easier when you remove the right side radiator also when installing it. The pipes come out easy, just pressed in slightly. If the plugs need to be removed I see no problem pulling them out. I worried about the same thing when I removed the AIS and kept the whole assembly just in case. Then buy the Zip Ty or MSR fuel screw, a #48 pilot, the JD jet kit or a YZF needle and your good to go. :applause:

• moach1

Posted December 12, 2005 - 04:48 PM

no problems with the lowedog

• opamccoy

Posted December 12, 2005 - 05:22 PM

hey,im curious to know if the backfiring goes away after you installed the kit

• moach1

Posted December 12, 2005 - 05:29 PM

yup about 95%. still get a little from time to time.

• rich1167

Posted December 12, 2005 - 06:25 PM

Only when I run out of gas :applause:

• Dirtskills

Posted December 12, 2005 - 08:08 PM

Buy the yamaha one,it looks pretty clean and super easy to install. It comes with a jet & new needle, and easy to follow intructions, and it only cost $35.00

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 13, 2005 - 06:31 AM

Like others have said, the biggest difference between the two kits is the GYT-R kit comes with "Caps" that go over the spigots (fittings) and the Lowedog TT kit is a block off kit made with plugs to fill the holes. The Lowedog kit in my opinion is much cleaner but will probably take you an extra 10 minutes to install (to remove the fittings). Cleaner vs. easier

One thing to consider, I've heard rumors about smogging dualsport bikes in the future, if this happens the GYT-R kit allows for you to put the AIS unit back on for inspection. The Lowedog kit would take some time and some thought to remove the plugs.. But even if those rumors hold true it might only effect 07's and above.. We'll have to wait and see.....

I see there's some questions regarding the AIS kit and performance. I can honestly say I haven't noticed a difference with the kit or without a kit. I had my jetting nailed with the AIS on the bike. Many guys disagree and say there's a big difference with it off, I haven't found that to be the case.

PS. The Lowedog kits are on backorder from TT... I've been waiting to install one on my pops 06. Hopefully they'll be shipping soon... (if they haven't already)

Dan

• Moondogger

Posted December 13, 2005 - 09:11 PM

. Then buy the Zip Ty or MSR fuel screw, a #48 pilot, the JD jet kit. :applause:

I don't need to worry about all that jetting, fuel screw, and pilot screw, I got an Edelbrock on mine.
:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted December 13, 2005 - 09:42 PM

One thing to consider, I've heard rumors about smogging dualsport bikes in the future, if this happens the GYT-R kit allows for you to put the AIS unit back on for inspection. The Lowedog kit would take some time and some thought to remove the plugs.. But even if those rumors hold true it might only effect 07's and above.. We'll have to wait and see.....

hmmm, fuel injection for '07??? :applause:

• Lowedog

Posted December 13, 2005 - 09:45 PM

No performance gains really to be had by removing the AIS. What it does do for you is eliminate the popping on decel that is caused by the AIS. This makes it easier to jet because you know that if your still popping it's because of jetting. Also lets you get rid of all the plumbing and hardware that goes along with the AIS that can get in the way of larger tanks and also doing jetting changes. I did design the plugs on the head to be a permanent replacement as I figured no one would ever reinstall the AIS and also for a much cleaner look. They could be removed with a little work if need be though.

Moondogger, how's that Edelbrock working for you? Those are pretty trick!

-Lowedog

• Matty05

Posted December 13, 2005 - 09:50 PM

Remove AIS, may as well remove ACV also.
I'm thinking ACV is there because of AIS.

Anyone know good way to block off ACV?

AIS burns unburned fuel in exhaust, but ACV richens up mixture on throttle back-off.
What is the go there???

• Moondogger

Posted December 13, 2005 - 10:35 PM

Moondogger, how's that Edelbrock working for you? Those are pretty trick!

-Lowedog

Lowedog,

The Edelbrock is sweet. No choke, no hotstart, no jets, no fuel screw. Cold start you just twist the throttle three times then it starts right up. It's also hard to flood the engine with the Edelbrock. I dropped the bike this weekend and it started right up.

Power delivery is great. It smoothed everything out, no bogging.

As far as being low maintenance it's great.

Basically, my bike rips now.

-Moon

• Matty05

Posted December 13, 2005 - 11:04 PM

Edelbrock carb, I might have to do a bit more reading on that!
Seems like an extreme measure to me, but as long as it works........

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 14, 2005 - 06:03 AM

hmmm, fuel injection for '07??? :applause:

I could be wrong.... But I just don't see FI happening yet for the WR, at least not for the 07 model. For the Japanese I'm guessing that the first offroad bikes with FI could be the new RMZ450X offroad bike for 07. Suzuki has a quad based off the 450 with FI, they've got a big head start.... (this is all opinion folks)... :ride:

• rtrolli69

Posted December 20, 2005 - 07:40 PM

The Lowedog kit worked great for me..No pwr gains or losses,just got rid of that annoying backfire.re jetted from stock added aftermarket pipe even from wot to roll off no backfire just what I wanted..thanks great product..Russ..

• Matty05

Posted December 21, 2005 - 06:07 PM

I could be wrong.... But I just don't see FI happening yet for the WR, at least not for the 07 model. For the Japanese I'm guessing that the first offroad bikes with FI could be the new RMZ450X offroad bike for 07. Suzuki has a quad based off the 450 with FI, they've got a big head start.... (this is all opinion folks)... :applause:

Yep, I don't see it for '07 either. Definately before '10. I don't know if WR frist then YZ, or vice versa.
Don't forget about the 700 Raptor or XT660!!! Yamaha has a year or two on suzuki, but with suzuki quad running the Z450 engine, who knows?

• CJ06WR

Posted December 21, 2005 - 08:13 PM

I just purchased an 06 WR450. Yamaha is back ordered and Ive read threw the pages of TT that the Yamaha kit also come with the YZ throttle stop and detailed instructions. I'm really intrested in the detailed instructions! How do you rate the TT AIS Kit?

• rich1167

Posted December 21, 2005 - 08:29 PM

No Throttle stop with the TT kit. Instructions are easy too follow. I think it's a good kit easy to use. Kinda pricey for 3 plugs and instructions but if some goes back to TT then it's ok with me.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.