Hard Start After Oil Change

21 replies to this topic
  • 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted December 16, 2005 - 02:28 PM

Mine never starts after oil change either but that is because I also clean the air filter with soap and water before putting on the filter oil..

I figure it is the residual water on the air filter that is the problem, because when i let it dry out for a couple of hours it starts right up fine..

Not to be Mr. Obvious here...I would never install a filter that has any residual of water on it. You need to completely let it dry and oil it thouroughly before re-installing. Buy an extra filter and have it ready to go & oiled in a plastic ziplock bag - to avoid having to wait for the dirty one to dry.

Changing the Oil should have no effect on starting the bike. I usually go about a year between plug changes and only change the plug as a preventative maintenance measure. I could see with the weather getting colder in most areas, starting/plug fouling problems will increase due to the wrong jetting for the temp.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snowboardstylee

Posted December 16, 2005 - 03:30 PM

Try a 165 main jet with your pipe. and two full turns out on your fuel mix screw
and leave the stock needle but on the 3rd clip.

thats what i run with my 04 Yz 450 at about 1700 feet. my home town( santa clarita ca.
you can find your local riding spots elevation online . the site is pda and cell phone compatable so if you are out somewhere you can check your elevation online if you dont have GPS. http://wunderground.com for elevation look up. just put in the name of the city or zip code.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.