How do you adjust your valves?

33 replies to this topic
  • BRP27

Posted December 14, 2005 - 10:18 AM

Having adjusted both an L and an R, I would have to say the "confines" are much tighter on the R. I bend a few fins on the radiator every time I do it.

I trim a piece of cardboard and put it in front of the radiator to protect the fins.

I don't pay much attention to the "T" mark. I pull the spark plug, roll the engine, make sure it doesn't roll backwards, watch the rockers and when I hit the flat spot on the cam, I check the clearance. I also watch the piston come up to TDC by watching a dowel rod move up thru the spark plug hole.

I do use Motion Pro feelers.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted December 14, 2005 - 11:56 AM

my neighbor cut me up 6''x6'' squares of 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 and 20 thousandths.....that covers me for just about everything....and if you really want to redneck it, use a coke can.....its 4 and a half thousandths......just make her a little tight on the intake and a little loose on the exhaust.

• pigryder

Posted December 14, 2005 - 04:27 PM

I'm not trying to sound like a dick but why not do it right the first time? if its supposed to be 5 and 7 why would you let it go at 6 and 8??? Maybe its just me having everything to be perfect :applause:

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 14, 2005 - 05:31 PM

Isn't the R suppossed to be .006 and .008?

• wr450fyamaha

Posted December 14, 2005 - 06:07 PM

L is 4 and 5, dont know what u crack heads are talkin about.

• BWB63

Posted December 14, 2005 - 06:22 PM

Isn't the R suppossed to be .006 and .008?

YES :applause:

• TREADMARKS

Posted December 14, 2005 - 06:42 PM

L is 4 and 5, dont know what u crack heads are talkin about.

L with hotcams stage 1 is 5 and 7 crack ho. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mtrhd101

Posted December 15, 2005 - 12:38 AM

Adjust either one 5-7 or 6-8 and it wont make a :applause: 's worth of difference.. You would probably miss it by 1-2 anyway..

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 15, 2005 - 08:36 AM

How tight or how much drag should be felt between the guage and the valves.

• TimBrp

Posted December 15, 2005 - 09:35 AM

How tight or how much drag should be felt between the guage and the valves.

A slight drag...lol

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 15, 2005 - 11:33 AM

Yeah, that's just it drag is an individual thing and some guys only do it on the weekends...

• Supplicate

Posted December 15, 2005 - 11:57 AM

how much drag

guess it depends on if you want to wear the wig, the dress, and the heels, or just the dress :applause:

• mtrhd101

Posted December 15, 2005 - 02:49 PM

Thats just the thing, heavy drag for one, light drag for the other, difference in the angle and position of the tool :applause: there is your 1-2 discrepancy..

• TREADMARKS

Posted December 15, 2005 - 04:24 PM

Thats just the thing, heavy drag for one, light drag for the other, difference in the angle and position of the tool :applause: there is your 1-2 discrepancy..

Exactly mtrhd101.

Not to mention, when was the last time their favorite feeler gauge was tested or calibrated. You know, the favorite one that is all bent to sheit and beginning to crack from use.

But with a dial, you see the exact gap between two surfaces.

All I am saying, is try it.

Set your valves with your fancy feeler gauges, then put a dial on and see just how far off you were.

When I was a kid, racing solid lifter, roller rocker, 9000 rpm ford small blocks, I learned the difference. If you want to cruise around and bark the tires between gears, set the valves a little tight (1-2K). But on race night, with your 5.14:1 gears when your lining up against V8 Vegas with nitrous and dual quad Mopar hemis with slicks in the back, set the valves a little loose and fill up with av gas and you won't float out before the finishline.

Accurate valve timing, superior ignition systems, precise air fuel ratios and proper gear selection always make the difference it the end. :bonk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.