How do you adjust your valves?

33 replies to this topic
  • TREADMARKS

Posted December 12, 2005 - 05:26 AM

Dial indicator or feeler gauge?

• frankstr

Posted December 12, 2005 - 05:38 AM

Feeler gages for the most part, I have used a dial indicator in some applications.... :applause:

• TREADMARKS

Posted December 12, 2005 - 06:05 AM

I was having such a difficult time trying to get them on target with a feeler gauge, that after I set them with the feeler I checked them with a dial and I was way off! Some were 2-3k off.

From now on, it is a dial indicator at tdc for me. :applause:

• georgiajim

Posted December 12, 2005 - 06:13 AM

forgive my ignorance. how do you check them with a dial indicator?

• creeky

Posted December 12, 2005 - 06:30 AM

Feeler strips, it does take a little practice. When you have made the final adjustment, use the next largest and the next smallest strips to check yourself. If the next largest slips in, too loose. If the next smallest slips in, too tight. After you've done it a few times, you'll know how much drag the strip should have when the clearance is correct.

• goblin127

Posted December 12, 2005 - 07:03 AM

Feeler gauge for me also, never a problem. I can't immagine using a dial indicatore.

• TREADMARKS

Posted December 12, 2005 - 07:32 AM

Feeler strips, it does take a little practice. When you have made the final adjustment, use the next largest and the next smallest strips to check yourself. If the next largest slips in, too loose. If the next smallest slips in, too tight. After you've done it a few times, you'll know how much drag the strip should have when the clearance is correct.

Thats called the go-nogo method. That is what I normally use, but I could not get a good feel due to the steep angle and the size of the access port. Mine is an L so it may be different that the Rs.

Instead, I attached my magnetic base to the metal frame backbone, and arranged the arm and dial to be perp with the rocker axis. I let the point of the dial touch on the top smooth part of the nut. Add a little preload, zero the dial and then move the rocker up and down from limit to limit.

Not exactly the fastest method, because you have to move the dial to adjust, retighten then replace the dial. But it has to be more accurate.

My engine has never been this quiet. No ticking at all and a very smooth idle. :applause:

• TimBrp

Posted December 12, 2005 - 07:46 AM

Great advice here for using feeler gauges. This is the method I use. Get yourself a set of feelers and bend them to fit nicely.

• mtrhd101

Posted December 13, 2005 - 01:19 AM

Dial indicator ?? I thought I was anal.. Lord help.. :applause:

• Thumpmeister

Posted December 13, 2005 - 01:54 AM

Feeler guage...

Isn't the dial indicator awfully time consuming? Take a measurement, make a little adjustment, take another... Seems it would take years to get this done...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pigryder

Posted December 13, 2005 - 03:37 AM

Hey guys I just got this sweet set up from Motion Pro, Tappet adjusters and feeler gauges. The gauges are bent on the end and makes it real easy! The adjusters are awesome! saved me so much time 10 mins. I was done! Check out they're web site, I actually bought mine from the MAC tool man and only paid a few more dollars than what was posted on the web site equivalent to what shipping would cost!

• TREADMARKS

Posted December 13, 2005 - 03:42 AM

Feeler guage...

Isn't the dial indicator awfully time consuming? Take a measurement, make a little adjustment, take another... Seems it would take years to get this done...

Actually, I spent about 20 minutes setting them with my narrow blade, bent feeler gauges. Then it took about 10 minutes for me to see how far off I was with the dial and make the necessary corrections.

If your not familiar with dial indicators, yes it may take a while.

• TREADMARKS

Posted December 13, 2005 - 03:52 AM

Dial indicator ?? I thought I was anal.. Lord help.. :p

Yeah, I get like that sometime. Ya see, I actually enjoy working on my bikes-alot. :applause:

"Feeler" gauges are just that-you adjust by feel-and in the confines of a XR650L access port 'feel' it is subjective.

But the dial indicator will display the exact gap between two surfaces, and thats why I tried it. :ride:

• babbs

Posted December 13, 2005 - 05:21 AM

Having adjusted both an L and an R, I would have to say the "confines" are much tighter on the R. I bend a few fins on the radiator every time I do it.

• mtrhd101

Posted December 13, 2005 - 09:55 AM

Just bend the end of the feeler gauge and use it.. A couple thousandths off wont hurt anything anyway... :applause:

• pigryder

Posted December 13, 2005 - 02:55 PM

Dude a couple of thousandths is all it takes to be way off!

• TREADMARKS

Posted December 13, 2005 - 04:02 PM

Thanks pig ryder.

Someone had to say it, cause it needed sayin. :applause:

You only get out of something, what you put into it.

Heck, I have seen the Harley guys arguing about how to index their spark plugs to promote flame propagation.

• mtrhd101

Posted December 13, 2005 - 09:49 PM

You guys aren't thinking about the reality of it all..

• mtrhd101

Posted December 13, 2005 - 09:52 PM

Not really if you think about it.. Do you believe every inexperienced home mechanic gets it right on the money ?? Will the engine grenade if its 2 off ? I think not.. If you take 10 people adjusting their valves there WILL be 1-2 thousandths difference between adjustments depending on the person doing the adjusting.. Especially when you consider the way the feeler has to be bent to access and the varied experience of the person doing it... 1-2 is Not enough off to hurt anything.. And I promise you it will be off that much between the average person doing it with a feeler gauge.. Thats just the way it is.. :applause:

• TREADMARKS

Posted December 14, 2005 - 03:35 AM

Not really if you think about it.. Do you believe every inexperienced home mechanic gets it right on the money ?? Will the engine grenade if its 2 off ? I think not.. If you take 10 people adjusting their valves there WILL be 1-2 thousandths difference between adjustments depending on the person doing the adjusting.. Especially when you consider the way the feeler has to be bent to access and the varied experience of the person doing it... 1-2 is Not enough off to hurt anything.. And I promise you it will be off that much between the average person doing it with a feeler gauge.. Thats just the way it is.. :ride:

I was 3k off on one of the exhaust valves.

But now it is perfect at 5 and 7. :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  181 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.