Exhaust pipe dent repair?

28 replies to this topic
  • MX Racer57

Posted December 11, 2005 - 05:22 PM

I have a pretty good dent in the header and curious to hear what other people have done to fix theirs? (White Brothers Titanium Header)

Also, does anyone know if someone in the San Diego area offers this type of repair?

• NorCalRider

Posted December 11, 2005 - 05:26 PM

Is the pipe twisted at all or is it just dented?

If it's only a dent, just take the header off the bike, fill it with water as much as you can, and stick it in the freezer over night. It should push the dent out. If it's not removed completely, repeat the process until the dent is pushed out.

Or.....

Cap both ends of the header, in one cap install a quick disconnect air fitting, heat the pipe up with a torch at the dent, then pressurize the pipe with air. Dent gone. :applause:

• MX Racer57

Posted December 11, 2005 - 05:35 PM

It's just dented and have tried the water in the freezer over night & it just pushes the plugs out. I'm using rubber expansion plugs and torquing the sh#t out of them, even vise gripped the end with the flange but the other end (muffler side) has nothing to help secure the plug?

Have heard of the compressed air and heat but haven't tried it yet? How much pressure are you using & what kind of heat? Will a propane bottle be enough for a titanium pipe or I've heard people use MAP gas which i'm not familiar with. I have an air compressor but nothing to use for heat, what would you recommend?

• SCCRF450

Posted December 11, 2005 - 05:46 PM

I dont think propane will do it you will need ox/acetylene

• skip #7

Posted December 11, 2005 - 05:57 PM

The head pipes I have blown out I used 45 psi and be careful not to over heat it it will distort or blow out if you get it too hot.

• MX Racer57

Posted December 11, 2005 - 07:25 PM

Thought of another way to secure the plug on the muffler side so I just stuck it back in the freezer and we'll see what happens in about 3-4hrs. It usually pushes the plug out at about 3 hrs.

• MX Racer57

Posted December 11, 2005 - 11:42 PM

The last time worked, it pushed about 75% of the dent out. I'll try it again tomorrow to see if I can get the rest out :applause: :p :p :ride:

• moto9

Posted December 12, 2005 - 12:14 AM

I fabed a plate that bolts over the end of the header...I used a generic schrader valve, pretty simple to make, freeze plug the other end and heat lightly red 40 to 50 psi 100% of the dent removed.
Easy stuff once you decide to do it.

• FOUR STOKED

Posted December 12, 2005 - 06:06 AM

I tried the heat method also. 40 psi is what I used also, but this is also dependant on how much heat you use. The hotter the metal gets the easier it moves, but also makes it easier to blow out. The propane torch would allow it to move, but not all the way out. I then proceded to the oxy-acetylene torch and almost made my self and expansion chamber :ride: You have to gradually ease up to the optimal heat to get it just right, then it is easy :p Wear protective gear! :applause:

• NewfieWR

Posted December 12, 2005 - 06:19 AM

I was so sick of denting my stock pipe :lol: so i drilled a hole on the opposite side of the dent to push it out. I then used an asbestos exhaust gasket & 2 clamps to cover the hole :applause: so everytime i dent it now i just remove the header, punch out the dent, & put back the gasket & clamps :p works perfect :p
This procedure isn't the prettiest but is the only thing to do if your on the ground as much as i am. I smacked the header out about 4 times since i've had the bike 05 450 R :p i'll get another header if i ever decide to sell :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • robr54

Posted December 12, 2005 - 01:31 PM

Does anyone make a good guard that will withstand the temps that these see? I have fixed the header on my 450x once already, and would like to find a guard so I don't have to worry about it so much everytime I hit the ground.

• Dust_Devil

Posted December 12, 2005 - 02:13 PM

I would rather buy a new headpipe and spare myself playing with a bomb....

My bro has a radiator shop and he uses plugs and pressurizes radiators and other things, he only uses 10-20 lbs and sometimes the plugs fly, you dont want to be hit by them even at low pressures.

• gchprime

Posted December 12, 2005 - 03:01 PM

Cap the ends real good and freeze it. Should remove most if not all the dent. :applause:

• Dust_Devil

Posted December 12, 2005 - 03:22 PM

Cap the ends real good and freeze it. Should remove most if not all the dent. :applause:

Sounds like the most safe way to me.

Heating up somthing that is pressurized just sounds like an accident waiting to happen, yeah you might get away with it a couple of times but ya never know..

• Mike_socal

Posted December 12, 2005 - 03:42 PM

I just did the freezer method with my stock 2 smoke pipe. Worked like a charm. I bought two rubber expansion plugs from Napa. Plugged both ends. Filled the pipe with water. Removed all frozen food from the freezer. Pissed off the wife. Put the pipe in the freezer and a few hours later, no more dent.

• acguy

Posted December 24, 2005 - 12:16 PM

450R pipe with two huge dents. Took a steel plate with three holes. Two to bolt up to header flange, and the third one I tapped with 1/8" pipe thread, and screwed my blowgun nozzle into it. Plugged the other end of the header with an expandable rubber freeze plug. Then heated the dents with O2_Acyt torch, and pulsed the blowgun trigger until the dents moved out. Looks ok, but definitely not like new....Works.

• jamie richardson

Posted June 08, 2008 - 07:34 AM

how did you keep the plug in i dented mine yesterday
mine is about the size of my thumb print

• Centrespike

Posted June 08, 2008 - 01:09 PM

I have a PC Ti4 that had a dent. Filled it up enough to cover the dent and then some, no plugs or end caps. Stood it up in my freezer overnight, did this about 3 times and for the most part the dent is gone.

It was from a point of a rock so it still has that punch mark but the dent around it is out.

• IKE607

Posted June 08, 2008 - 01:36 PM

I have a PC Ti4 that had a dent. Filled it up enough to cover the dent and then some, no plugs or end caps. Stood it up in my freezer overnight, did this about 3 times and for the most part the dent is gone.

It was from a point of a rock so it still has that punch mark but the dent around it is out.

Basically had the same thing on my stock pipe. I needed to do 5 applications, but the same end result. You can tell there was a dent, but the dent itself is gone. No capping, just put water in it, then placed it in the freezer so the water was where the dent was, and froze it. Dent was gone after 5 apps.

• rideon123

Posted June 08, 2008 - 04:54 PM

I agree with the above post of not using any plugs or heat. Just filled a little above the dent in the neck of header and stood up in freezer. Did about 4 times to get it almost new.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Who put a pond there? by ZDeWitt

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 outdoor motocross predictions by ImAHondaMan

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  67 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 crf450 suspension by DHS_sponsored

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo

Please help , this is my first post. Carb issues? by cjr19543

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 CRF450 Shootout by dc182

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.