06 jetting

25 replies to this topic
  • Norman

Posted December 11, 2005 - 04:32 PM

Has anyone had any luck with jetting changes? Its so hard to get to the carb on the 06, I was just wondering if anyone had found a good combination. I went up one size on the pilot and went to a 170 main but it still doesnt run clean like it should.

Norman

• SureBlue

Posted December 11, 2005 - 05:30 PM

DPW in Texas reported: "The 48/170 combo woked great today. The bike started a lot easier and no popping on decel."
http://www.thumperta...724#post2754724

Try 48 pilot and play with the fuel screw.

• MN_Kevin

Posted December 11, 2005 - 05:43 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=316355

• DPW

Posted December 11, 2005 - 06:48 PM

As far as getting to the carb check out this link http://www.thumperta...ire#post2732759 and look at the post by Beanb1 about getting to the carb, works like a champ...very easy...removing the hot start is the key.

Norman, what is you bike doing? Mine bike ran strong stock, but was a royal PITA to start and this is my 5th YZF so I know how to start the bikes and also it popped pretty bad on decel even with the fuel screw out 3.5 turns.

Right now the bike is all stock and I'm running 48 Pilot , 170 Main, and Fuel Screw is two turns out.

• pelted

Posted December 11, 2005 - 07:35 PM

My 06 starts well and runs fine at full throttle but has a nasty off-idle bog...gonna try raising the clip one.

• SureBlue

Posted December 11, 2005 - 08:12 PM

My 06 starts well and runs fine at full throttle but has a nasty off-idle bog...gonna try raising the clip one.

If you raise the clip, your needle goes further down and makes it leaner at midthrottle. I would not touch the needle at all unless you have several mods. At off-idle bog you need a larger pilot on '06, it is lean.

• motoman88

Posted December 11, 2005 - 11:39 PM

Yeah, I put a 180 Main in my an its still poppin on decel.

• pelted

Posted December 18, 2005 - 05:11 PM

If you raise the clip, your needle goes further down and makes it leaner at midthrottle. I would not touch the needle at all unless you have several mods. At off-idle bog you need a larger pilot on '06, it is lean.

Stock 06 450F at 2500 ft SoCal.

Ok, I put in a 45 pilot, pilot screw 1.75 turns out, everything else stock...Off idle bog is the same - if you twist it quickly (on the stand) it will either stall or sometimes cough, catch, and pop as it revs up - sometimes accompanied by a blue flame out the pipe. When riding slow and giving it a quick twist to hop a rut or something it will usually stall. Carburetes fine at all other throttle openings.

Does this mean the problem is on the leak jet? I would assume since it blows out a flame it is too rich on the accelerator pump . According to the book
leaning it out would involve switching to a 55 leak jet...

Any comments - I haven't heard anyone having this problem or changing a leak jet?

My 04 came jetted nicely out of the box.

• aford541

Posted December 18, 2005 - 06:55 PM

Do you guys know how to use the search feature????????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by burned
at sea level you will need a 48 pilot and 170-172 main jet.

• aford541

Posted December 18, 2005 - 06:56 PM

Yeah, I put a 180 Main in my an its still poppin on decel.

Are you runnig alchahol?

Or drinking it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumparoobonzai

Posted December 18, 2005 - 07:04 PM

As far as getting to the carb check out this link http://www.thumperta...ire#post2732759 and look at the post by Beanb1 about getting to the carb, works like a champ...very easy...removing the hot start is the key.

Norman, what is you bike doing? Mine bike ran strong stock, but was a royal PITA to start and this is my 5th YZF so I know how to start the bikes and also it popped pretty bad on decel even with the fuel screw out 3.5 turns.

Right now the bike is all stock and I'm running 48 Pilot , 170 Main, and Fuel Screw is two turns out.

DPW, Are you in the Dallas area? I'm in Tyler, TX and was going to try the same as you.

• DPW

Posted December 18, 2005 - 07:58 PM

DPW, Are you in the Dallas area? I'm in Tyler, TX and was going to try the same as you.

Yes I'm in the DFW area...

170m 48p 2 turns out on FS fixed my issues

see what happens when it gets hot out, but I'm happier now!

• Reyndogg

Posted December 18, 2005 - 09:22 PM

Im running stock jetting, FS 2.5 turns out, and a Boyesen AP cover...

no bog at all off the bottom, just pops like a machine gun rolling off the gas.

gonna try the 48/170 this week - hopefully wednesday night. I also talked to a 06 450 owner that said the stock air filter is way over oiled and not to change much until you get the air filter changed and oiled how you will do it every time you change it. Makes sense to me.

• Norman

Posted December 19, 2005 - 04:37 AM

Quote:

Yes, I know how to use the search feature, tried the above jetting, helped but didnt cure everything, but thanks for your insight. Now for the ones who have an 06 I am at sea level, 48 pilot, 170 main, 2 turns out on fuel screw and I lowered the clip one position, couldnt ride yesterday other than down the street, seems to have made the difference for me.

• pelted

Posted December 19, 2005 - 05:59 PM

Quote:

I also can use the search feature. However I'm 2500 - 3000 ft above sea level...

My question was about the leak jet, but thanks for your insight.

• Reyndogg

Posted December 20, 2005 - 05:16 PM

DPW in Texas reported: "The 48/170 combo woked great today. The bike started a lot easier and no popping on decel."
http://www.thumperta...724#post2754724

Try 48 pilot and play with the fuel screw.

:applause: :bonk:

i just changed my 06 yz450f to burned's suggested 48/170

w/boyesen ap cover, stock exhaust, twinair air filter w/notoil oil the way i always oil them, msr fuel screw set 2.25 turns out

- it starts much easier. first kick after putting it all back together, i was shocked!
- it holds a consistent idle, before it wouldnt
- it doesnt pop on decel like it was before; it used to sound like a machine gun, now just a little bit .
-it rips off idle and pulls hard

thanks for the suggestion and thanks to DPW for the tip on the hot start and backing burned's 48/170 suggestion!

:cry:

• DPW

Posted December 20, 2005 - 05:25 PM

:applause: :bonk:

i just changed my 06 yz450f to burned's suggested 48/170

w/boyesen ap cover, stock exhaust, twinair air filter w/notoil oil the way i always oil them, msr fuel screw set 2.25 turns out

- it starts much easier. first kick after putting it all back together, i was shocked!
- it holds a consistent idle, before it wouldnt
- it doesnt pop on decel like it was before; it used to sound like a machine gun, now just a little bit .
-it rips off idle and pulls hard

thanks for the suggestion and thanks to DPW for the tip on the hot start and backing burned's 48/170 suggestion!

:cry:

The start on the first kick is always a relief! :p

The hot start tip was actually posted by Beanb1...just passing the tip on.. :cry:

Burned you d'man :cry:

• Reyndogg

Posted December 20, 2005 - 05:29 PM

man thats for sure, i love when things go together right the first time :applause:

Burned, thank you very much, you are indeed the man!!

• SureBlue

Posted December 20, 2005 - 05:41 PM

True, his knowledge about jetting is awesome.
Can you please check the manual, what does it say about pilot, main and needle for European models?
You lucky guys, my bike got postponed again :applause:

• SC7

Posted December 21, 2005 - 06:26 AM

James/DPW,

Thanks for the heads up on jetting, I noticed mine was lean the day I was breaking it in, so now I've gone to the 48/170 combo, and installed the Accel pump cover. Sounds like the set up for our area, now I wish I could ride it. :applause:

Thanks Steve

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.