O-ring Vs. X-ring Vs. T-ring

10 replies to this topic
  • TeamEndo

Posted December 11, 2005 - 12:08 PM

went to put an o-ring type replacement chain on my new bike, as I've read its better to do it right away and save sprocket wear. Local shop sent me home with a DID ERT Gold, NON o-ring, which I didn't realize until it was on the bike. Great, took it off, went back, came back to shop with a Regina RK XW ring Gold 520. Asked guys who work there if it will be too wide, rub the cases, etc. They said no, came home measured it, it was 1/4" wider than stock chain, WAY too wide! It would fit my 1000cc Speed Triple perfect! Bling! Bling! &%$#@!!? This apparantly simple 15minute mod has turned into a two day deal. Most of the kids who work at the shops I go to apparantly know less than me about chain types, if thats possible. Anyone have a specific model, and did you have to shim your countershaft sprocket? :applause:

• fastbyfrank

Posted December 11, 2005 - 01:59 PM

i am running a rk racing 520 x-ring on my 450 without 1 problem.
i also ran 1 on my 426 without an issue.

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted December 11, 2005 - 02:07 PM

Same here RK-Xring no problems, it's wider but no clearance issues.

• TeamEndo

Posted December 11, 2005 - 03:17 PM

thanks guys, soo..the question is, is the XW ring the same as the X ring? If you guys say it will work, i'll mount it up, its almost 1/3 again as wide. :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2005 - 05:43 PM

In the first place, it's either a Regina OR it's an RK. They're two different brands. Regina's high end sealed chain is a "Z" ring (the ZRH is their top of the line), and fits a YZ450 perfectly. (it's also AT LEAST equal to a DID EVRT, if not superior, IMO). I haven't used RK's, so I can't say what's up, but it alsmost sounds like somebody packed a 530 in the wrong box. A Regina ORN is an excellent chain also, and it will fit your bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SureBlue

Posted December 11, 2005 - 06:03 PM

went to put an o-ring type replacement chain on my new bike, as I've read its better to do it right away and save sprocket wear. Local shop sent me home with a DID ERT Gold, NON o-ring, which I didn't realize until it was on the bike.

I have tried X- and O-ring chains, several brands. But my problem is that I powerwash the chain after each ride, and that hurts the rubber seals. Last chain I had was the DID ERT gold chain, which I also will put on my new bike this time. It won't wear your sprockets if you keep the normal chain clean and lubed so that it won't wear and stretch (which actually causes the sprocket wear).

• Jimmmyzz

Posted December 11, 2005 - 06:17 PM

I have a DID X Ring on my 06 YZ450. No Problems!

• grayracer513

Posted December 12, 2005 - 09:26 AM

I have tried X- and O-ring chains, several brands. But ...I powerwash the chain after each ride, and that hurts the rubber seals.

Sealed chains can be power washed, but you do need to use caution for the reason you've recognized. Keeping the washer back at least 8 inches and spraying only directly at the sides of the chain allows the side plates to protect the seals from water intrusion.

• DPW

Posted December 12, 2005 - 04:53 PM

Where's Jay???

http://www.allthings...p?t=5701&page=5

Just read the post by Jaybird, good info.

• TeamEndo

Posted December 12, 2005 - 06:09 PM

wow. Jaybird certainly has a lot to say about chains....good info. I ordered a Regina 520 ORN oring chain, from tt store, so I'll be back in business soon. I'll run it this winter and change over to a DID ERT in summer when I ride more moto.

Thanks for all the help..now i gotta go "stake" my left case galley plugs... :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted December 12, 2005 - 07:01 PM

wow. Jaybird certainly has a lot to say about chains....

You're new here, aren't you?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.