Head shake on a 426?

9 replies to this topic
  • Raven1911

Posted December 10, 2005 - 11:34 PM

I have heard that the head shake on a YZF is less than a CRF? Anyone agree with that? My buddy said that YZ don't really need a steering stabilizer because of this reason, but I would disagree. What do you think? :applause:

• SureBlue

Posted December 11, 2005 - 01:51 AM

I have experienced serious headshake only once on a 426, on a high speed hard pack track. My KTM 525SX gave me several. Yamaha is known of its stability, so you have a smart buddy. :applause:

• REBELEX

Posted December 11, 2005 - 03:44 AM

On mine i get bugger all, flat out across rutted, washed out roads, opening up to 160km/h across the paddocks. Jus moved the forks up through clamp 2-3mm and yeah perfect :ride:
NEVER GOING BACK TO A HONDA :applause:

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 11, 2005 - 06:26 AM

I've found with the 426 that suspension settings (at least at my weight, ~155#) can really affect headshake. If I get it wrong then I can definitely get some bar swappers going. Worst ever was a lock to lock swap while I was in 4th gear. God and I had a little chat that day.. he told me to tighten up the stearing head bearings until there's just a little drag and that will really help (actually it was a tech tip in Dirt Rider that suggested this). So I tried it, and wow it really does help! You don't have to crank it down, just tighten up until there's a little bit of resistance when you turn the bars. When things are set up properly, headshake isn't a real big problem. Then again I'm on the east coast and I haven't seen 5th gear in the last 18 months. If I were in the desert then a stabilizer might be a nice item to have around.

• Raven1911

Posted December 11, 2005 - 08:16 AM

Was that moving the forks up from their stock position? How do you know when the adjustment is right, just experiment?

So would you recommend the stabilizer or not?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • essex426

Posted December 11, 2005 - 08:22 AM

I have heard that the head shake on a YZF is less than a CRF? Anyone agree with that? My buddy said that YZ don't really need a steering stabilizer because of this reason, but I would disagree. What do you think? :applause:

I dont think they need it,iv'e got my forks set with 12mm showing above the yolks and never get head shake.02- 426.

• Florida_426

Posted December 11, 2005 - 09:41 AM

Raven,
I have not experienced any head shake with my '02 to date. Eastern bike so no Dez or fireroads to try but enough long straight aways to know by now. I have heard only good things from the poeple that use a stabilizer but it is too pricey and extra weight over the front end. I'd say that unless you are in the Dez a lot of some wide open HS stuff that it isn't needed.

Can you wrangle a ride on a 426 with one? Might be the way to find out. Good luck and I'd like to know how it turns out for you.

Bill

• 642MX

Posted December 11, 2005 - 10:24 AM

I don't have a stabilizer, but I don't ride in 5th gear very often. My 426 is very stable at speed. I had a KTM 250SX that could develop head shake in second gear, I think a lot of this depends on the bike. Yamaha makes a good solid product, I think I would spend my money on a couple of tires rather than a stabilizer.

• Hick

Posted December 11, 2005 - 03:16 PM

I would run a damper regardless, but I'm accustomed/addicted to them at this point.

But yes, I think the front end of the CRF is a bit more lively and shake-prone than a YZF as a generalization.

The YZF is a front-handler, very planted, where the CRF is more nimble but less stable.

My two cents.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted December 11, 2005 - 06:26 PM

The YZF is a front-handler, very planted, where the CRF is more nimble but less stable.

Well put. I agree.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.