• Eddie Sisneros

Posted December 20, 2005 - 05:08 PM

does it seem worse when it get hot?

• supad48

Posted December 20, 2005 - 05:13 PM

yes when the bike is warmed up and running. although it is freezing outside

• supad48

Posted December 20, 2005 - 05:16 PM

its only when I roll the throttle on slow and steady. right after I reach 1/4 throttle it hessitates, kinda like skips, then with the throttle rolling on more it goes past and continues all the way up fine. This is first, second and third gear roll ons.

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted December 20, 2005 - 06:14 PM

has the throttle been fully opened at that point.

• supad48

Posted December 21, 2005 - 04:37 AM

when it starts to hesitate and skip, I am holding the throttle right at 1/4. if I roll it more it goes past it, but if I roll the throttle from all the way closed to full open slowly it will hesitate when I get to 1/4 throttle, if I hold the throttle there it will keep doing it, if I roll the throttle on more it goes away. when I twist the throttle really quickly, it goes past it with the tiniest skip. If I just pin the throttle I haven't noticed it yet, just spins the tire and hits the rev limiter.

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted December 21, 2005 - 06:39 AM

try one more needle clip.if that doesnt fix it you will need to go to a needle with a richer straight diameter.

must be pretty cold out?

• supad48

Posted December 21, 2005 - 11:43 AM

yeah it was 12 degrees this morning, about 30 right now. thats pretty much how its been while i've been testing

• supad48

Posted December 22, 2005 - 05:47 PM

48 pilot, 170 main, stock needle, clip in 6th, 2 turns a.s. 25 degrees when I rode, no issues what so ever, ran absolutely perfect, cold I have to use the hot start, choke, 4 pumps of throttle to start it up, once warm it starts first kick by itself, also became locked up once when it was cold, had to put it in gear and roll the wheel backwards to free it up, I couldnt even move the kick starter!

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted December 22, 2005 - 05:51 PM

also became locked up once when it was cold, had to put it in gear and roll the wheel backwards to free it up, I couldnt even move the kick starter!

:applause: :bonk: :cry:

thats not good........

• aford541

Posted December 24, 2005 - 10:53 PM

48 pilot, 170 main, stock needle, clip in 6th, 2 turns a.s. 25 degrees when I rode, no issues what so ever, ran absolutely perfect, cold I have to use the hot start, choke, 4 pumps of throttle to start it up, once warm it starts first kick by itself, also became locked up once when it was cold, had to put it in gear and roll the wheel backwards to free it up, I couldnt even move the kick starter!

Once and a while my 04 and 05 would do that it is like the compression release does not work, its not locked up you just cant push the kick starter down because of too much cylinder pressure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 25, 2005 - 12:03 PM

Once and a while my 04 and 05 would do that it is like the compression release does not work, its not locked up you just cant push the kick starter down because of too much cylinder pressure.

I get that now and then; it's normal. It can sometimes happen if the engine is stalled suddenly just as it hits the compression stroke and while the decompression flyweight is in the outward, or "normal" postion. The flyweight return spring can hold the decomp mechanism out well enough to lift the valve as the cam rotates past it, but isn't nearly strong enough to actually lift the valve all by itself. So, if it happens to stop in that particular postion, you can either stand on it and wait for the compression to leak through, or put it in gear and back it down from compression so the decomp can operate normally again.

• alfie

Posted December 25, 2005 - 01:27 PM

Ive got to say what ace and informative thread, and Ive just sat and read all 8 pages.
The problem i have with my 426 is it pops on decel and Ive been told that theres a flame from the end can. As far has i can work out there's no leaks in the exhaust system, any help would greatfull has this driving me nuts.

• PK

Posted December 26, 2005 - 01:01 PM

I would say you need to either adjust the air screw out, or go to a richer pilot jet. What size pilot jet do you currently have? How cold is it?

• ACE_269

Posted December 26, 2005 - 08:32 PM

Hey Burned,
Dude,i gotta tell you. You really know your stuff. I just bought an 05 450 and am learning the way of the 4stroke ( just sold 98 KX250). Its a whole new world. I have been taking notes on your insight of jetting- although I don't really have any probs at this moment.

Neways, I was noticing my 450 is a little boggy around the corners in 2nd gear ( i find myself trying to go to 1st, and then thats too low) so i was thinking about going to a taller rear sprocket. Was just talking to a local shop and he told me to advance the cam and it would add all kinds of TQ so I could stay w/ stock gears. Any of this sound right?

Any advice for jetting in Missouri (stock motor)?

• alfie

Posted January 01, 2006 - 08:17 AM

I would say you need to either adjust the air screw out, or go to a richer pilot jet. What size pilot jet do you currently have? How cold is it?

The carb is stock and its running the standard pilot jet and the UK temps in the last few weeks have been freezing or near freezing. but the strange thing is the bike runs OK with no boggyness, and its a piece of cake to start.

• SureBlue

Posted January 01, 2006 - 01:00 PM

The carb is stock and its running the standard pilot jet and the UK temps in the last few weeks have been freezing or near freezing. but the strange thing is the bike runs OK with no boggyness, and its a piece of cake to start.

That confirms my belief the European models are richer jetted than the U.S. bikes.

• Blue_White_Rider

Posted January 02, 2006 - 12:24 AM

I have never owned a four stroke before, and have read about a couple of jetting problems that people have had. I think my jetting may be off a bit and wondered if someone could point me in the right direction. The bike has a bit of a bog just off idle and when decelerating pops and crackles from the exhaust. I live and ride at 2500ft - 4000ft, (starting elevation to top of the ride and back) in the high desert of cali. the bike is totally stock any suggestions about what the jetting should be?

• TeamEndo

Posted January 02, 2006 - 08:48 AM

Burned, is the man. Rejetted my bike to 48/170, fuel screw 2 turns out, temp is mid 40s, bike starts easier, no bogs or popping on decel.

• ben_suhard

Posted April 25, 2006 - 07:25 AM

The carb is stock and its running the standard pilot jet and the UK temps in the last few weeks have been freezing or near freezing. but the strange thing is the bike runs OK with no boggyness, and its a piece of cake to start..

That confirms my belief the European models are richer jetted than the U.S. bikes.

I'm in South Australia, 44m above sea level and my 06 is waaaaay too lean. I only just got it last Saturday, so I jumped on TT to see what the go is on jetting. I'll sort it out this week.

ThumperMx365 posted this link to Pro circuit's jetting specs.http://www.procircui...m/PCJETTING.htm They say 50 pilot, 170 main, needle NFPR in fifth position, fuel screw 2.5, and leak jet 50. Pretty similar to Burned's specs.

• SureBlue

Posted April 27, 2006 - 04:15 AM

I'm in South Australia, 44m above sea level and my 06 is waaaaay too lean. I only just got it last Saturday, so I jumped on TT to see what the go is on jetting. I'll sort it out this week.

ThumperMx365 posted this link to Pro circuit's jetting specs.http://www.procircui...m/PCJETTING.htm They say 50 pilot, 170 main, needle NFPR in fifth position, fuel screw 2.5, and leak jet 50. Pretty similar to Burned's specs.

Ben, the bikes are jetted similar all over, also here in Europe, too lean. My bike runs perfect with 48/170/5th clip std. needle/FS 2 turns out at sea level.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.