95 replies to this topic
  • FFRacing79

Posted December 11, 2005 - 09:19 AM

lol,sorry fraid not.

:applause:

• MN_Kevin

Posted December 11, 2005 - 04:30 PM

Burned,
When you did the dyno run, did you disconnect the accelerator pump?

• DPW

Posted December 11, 2005 - 05:11 PM

The 48/170 combo woked great today. The bike started a lot easier and no popping on decel.

Thanks again Burned!

• SureBlue

Posted December 11, 2005 - 05:25 PM

Thanks Burned. :applause:
You guys with the new 450, what does the manual say about stock needle and jets for Europe? They have traditionally been richer for bikes sold here. Maybe I just buy a bunch of diff. jets ready before the bike comes. Anyone care to check the manual, thanks in advance.

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2005 - 05:29 PM

the yzf lost a pony it used to be 51 horses for the 05s and 03 and 04 were 53 and the 426 made 55

I've never seen that published anywhere. The '03/04's typically posted 47.5-49 with an aftermarket pipe, depending on who did the test, and how much work they put into getting it to run really right. Most stock baselines were in the 46-47.5 range. 50 from a stocker is new, serious stuff. That means it has something like 3 hp on the '03, which everyone said was a ferocious, barely controllable beast, but at the same time, the '06 is "smooth and very linear", and "easy to ride". That was my point about the power delivery. The power curve is about as flat as you're going to see, and still hits 50. How cool is that?

• MN_Kevin

Posted December 11, 2005 - 05:42 PM

the only way to compare #'s is same day, same dyno, fresh engine (not after a 30 minute moto).

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted December 11, 2005 - 06:07 PM

Burned,
When you did the dyno run, did you disconnect the accelerator pump?

no,if you do that theres no way the motor is going to accept throttle under the load of being in 4th gear at low of rpm.

not sure what your after.....

• RAMARION

Posted December 11, 2005 - 06:07 PM

Burned

what would be your estimate jetting for the 2006 YZ 450 for So-cal at 1.5/2k elevation

Thanks

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted December 11, 2005 - 06:08 PM

it should also be noted that both of these bikes were under 1 hour of riding time at the time of the runs.

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted December 11, 2005 - 06:10 PM

Burned

what would be your estimate jetting for the 2006 YZ 450 for So-cal at 1.5/2k elevation

Thanks

168 main jet,stock needle clip,48 pilot jet,1.75 turns fuel screw.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RAMARION

Posted December 11, 2005 - 06:21 PM

168 main jet,stock needle clip,48 pilot jet,1.75 turns fuel screw.

thanks

will do and I'll let you know :applause:

• MN_Kevin

Posted December 11, 2005 - 06:37 PM

[COLOR=Red]no,if you do that theres no way the motor is going to accept throttle under the load of being in 4th gear at low of rpm.

not sure what your after.....[/COLOR]

Back in the early days of Thumpertalk (1999-2000), it was mentioned for jetting purposes the AP had to be disconnected for accurate results.

Maybe I am confusing the MJ by itself...(???)

• Hick

Posted December 11, 2005 - 06:38 PM

not sure what your after.....

Me neither but I was thinking perhaps you did and that is why the motor liked such a big pilot jet.

I was told that, to jet my CBR w/ FCR pumper carbs, using a dyno, it would be best to disconnect the A/P (sold that bike before I installed the carbs so I never put it on a dyno and tried it).

Did you jet for the pilot circuit on the dyno, or just based on riding and the bike being obviously lean (which, if you went all the way to a 48, it must have been)?

There is a dealer here (4,000 ft., so it matters) that likes to re-jet dirt bikes on a dyno, and I wonder if that is an effective method, although they aren't the sharpest knife in the motorcycle-mechanic drawer...

Thanks for posting the dyno, I'm hoping to buy a new YZ next year sometime.

• Hick

Posted December 11, 2005 - 06:39 PM

Damn Kevin beat me to it.

Need......

....to be......

.......more.......

.......succinct...

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted December 11, 2005 - 06:44 PM

[COLOR=Red]no,if you do that theres no way the motor is going to accept throttle under the load of being in 4th gear at low of rpm.

not sure what your after.....[/COLOR]

Back in the early days of Thumpertalk (1999-2000), it was mentioned for jetting purposes the AP had to be disconnected for accurate results.

Maybe I am confusing the MJ by itself...(???)

ah,i see what your saying.thats for try to tune a bike that the needle is no where close to right.like the early jetting in the first generation fcr.they had ridiculously big pump shots that had to be eliminated to tune.

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted December 11, 2005 - 06:49 PM

Me neither but I was thinking perhaps you did and that is why the motor liked such a big pilot jet.

I was told that, to jet my CBR w/ FCR pumper carbs, using a dyno, it would be best to disconnect the A/P (sold that bike before I installed the carbs so I never put it on a dyno and tried it).

Did you jet for the pilot circuit on the dyno, or just based on riding and the bike being obviously lean (which, if you went all the way to a 48, it must have been)?

There is a dealer here (4,000 ft., so it matters) that likes to re-jet dirt bikes on a dyno, and I wonder if that is an effective method, although they aren't the sharpest knife in the motorcycle-mechanic drawer...

Thanks for posting the dyno, I'm hoping to buy a new YZ next year sometime.

these are 4th gear roll on tests.its 90% main jet.the throttle is wide opn at 4k rpm.

the bike came to me with the 48 pilot jet installed.i was expecting it to be way to large.

however according to my wideband air/fuel meter and the idle reaction to the fuel screw its correct.

the fuel screw ended up at 1.5 turns with the idle dropping/missing with the fuel screw under 1/2 turn.

the needle is tuned by doing steady throttle tests which are not recorded.fcr's also require actual riding to tune the needle.

only the pilot jet and main jet can be 100% tuned in the dyno room.

• Hick

Posted December 11, 2005 - 06:53 PM

the needle is tuned by doing steady throttle tests which are not recorded.fcr's also require actual riding to tune the needle.

only the pilot jet and main jet can be 100% tuned in the dyno room.

Bingo.

I've always had that opinion, but I've never operated a dyno, so it remains an opinion.

But an informed one. Thanks for the info.

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted December 11, 2005 - 07:03 PM

you can accurately tune the straight diameter of the needle on the dyno,but needle clip position and taper are far more dependent on load.

you can nail the needle much of the time on the dyno,but nothing replaces actual riding.

• DPW

Posted December 11, 2005 - 07:09 PM

Burned,
Let me throw a dumb question out there...I'm a jetting retard. What would be the sign of to big of a pilot jet?

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted December 11, 2005 - 07:17 PM

being able to close the fuel screw almost completely before the idle reacting.

idle going low then coming back after throttle blip.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.