01 YZ426 stock carb and plug cap change

7 replies to this topic
  • david857

Posted December 09, 2005 - 06:46 PM

I just got a 01 YZ426 and was just wondering if anyone knew what MM the stock carb was and was wondering if anybody had a rough guess of the jetting I will need to perform because I just ordered a FMF mid pipe and slip on Titanium. Also my plug cap went bad and have to install a new one and was wondering if that cap just unscrews from the wire. Thanks for any help guys you truely seem to be experts.

• YZLEE

Posted December 10, 2005 - 03:33 PM

I'm not sure about the jetting. But, I do know the plug wire simply pulls off. It's pretty hard to get off sometimes.

• Hick

Posted December 11, 2005 - 01:04 AM

I just got a 01 YZ426 and was just wondering if anyone knew what MM the stock carb was and was wondering if anybody had a rough guess of the jetting I will need to perform because I just ordered a FMF mid pipe and slip on Titanium.

Unlike some older thumpers and most 2 strokes, most modern MX 4-strokes won't need much jetting adjustment w/ the addition of your avg. aftermarket exhaust (provided the jetting was ballpark to begin w/).

You alter a lot more about the breathing characteristics of a two stroke by changing the expansion chamber shape, and a four stroke will need re-jetting if the breathing characteristics are altered greatly, like going from a WR or XR stock system to a closed-course competition system.

Bottom line is if the bike is jetted properly you'll likely only need a fuel screw adjustment.

Hope this helps.

Oh, forgot, your carb is a 39mm Keihin FCR. Stock jetting is 42 pilot, 162 main, EJP needle on 3rd clip, fuel screw at 1.75 turns out.

Pretty sure that is it, anyway....

• david857

Posted December 11, 2005 - 05:25 AM

your the f%ckin man thanks a lot. guess it would be nice if I had the manual but a clymer is on it's way!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted December 11, 2005 - 06:12 AM

you should do the coil on cap mod. It is clean , works and makes the carb and shock easier to get to (after you remove the old coil)

From user "Mike Dean"

"I sell a coil on plug kit, includes everything you need including a new coil, wiring, connecter, shrink tubing, convolute tubing, and simple instructions. $45

Mike Dean
www.mikedean426@excite.com
608-576-8745

(notice the coil is removed from the frame.....)
Posted Image

• bustersat

Posted January 04, 2008 - 09:38 PM

Anybody know if these kits are still available? Where can I get one? I can find the coils just not the plug. Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2008 - 10:07 PM

GM sells replacement connectors and terminals for their stuff, and the connectors on Yamahas look similar to those used in Japanese cars. You might be able to match something up at a dealer.

A lot of people used to use the over plug coils from a Suzuki Haybusa, and I believe that the connector was available as a repair part. Do some searching here. You should be able to find something.

• bustersat

Posted January 04, 2008 - 10:18 PM

Thanks gray! I will be looking!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.