Latest 450 Shootout

22 replies to this topic
  • undrdog

Posted December 09, 2005 - 12:03 PM

Has any one seen the 450 shootout that RacerX magazine reported on?
Its posted over in the Kawasaki forum.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted December 09, 2005 - 12:06 PM

I saw it in the CRF forum...

They picked the KXF...

YZF got second...

• DPW

Posted December 09, 2005 - 12:26 PM

RacerX linkage http://www.racerxill...f-shootout.aspx

• yzkid999

Posted December 09, 2005 - 12:34 PM

I new the crf wouldn't get top this year

• MotoGoalie

Posted December 09, 2005 - 01:12 PM

Like these shoot-outs mean a damned thing!

• biznet1

Posted December 09, 2005 - 01:40 PM

I agree that the shootouts don't have a lot of credence, but how many times has it been said that Honda always wins because of their connections. Honda only took third, so it does give some legitimacy to the shootout. If you will notice, their opinions did vary greatly too, so that would suggest three things:
Either their opinions were not swayed by any outside influence, or they were riding with a little "color preference", or a little of both. But, when all is said and done, it's really all about who's on the bike that counts the most. :applause:

• Troutman

Posted December 09, 2005 - 02:03 PM

I agree that the shootouts don't have a lot of credence, but how many times has it been said that Honda always wins because of their connections. Honda only took third, so it does give some legitimacy to the shootout. If you will notice, their opinions did vary greatly too, so that would suggest three things:
Either their opinions were not swayed by any outside influence, or they were riding with a little "color preference", or a little of both. But, when all is said and done, it's really all about who's on the bike that counts the most. :ride:

I think it means the top 4 bikes this year are all very close and you cant loose with any of them. Purchase the one you preffer and you will be very happy, I prefer blue!

Ride On :applause:

• biznet1

Posted December 09, 2005 - 02:10 PM

I think it means the top 4 bikes this year are all very close and you cant loose with any of them. Purchase the one you preffer and you will be very happy, I prefer blue!

Ride On :applause:

Yep. I agree with you 100%. I think it's going to be a good psychedelic year of racing.

• RAMARION

Posted December 09, 2005 - 03:39 PM

Yep. I agree with you 100%. I think it's going to be a good psychedelic year of racing.

:applause: DITTO :ride:

• brian389

Posted December 09, 2005 - 04:05 PM

Interesting the Racer-X guys like the Kawasaki, as Motocross Action wasn't too happy with it. Will be interesting to see what MXA says in their shoot-out. Very tough to beat the Yamaha for reliability-2 years on my '04 YZ450 and the dang valves are still smack in the middle of spec! I'd be nervous about Kawi's reliability this early in the game. Honda is great, but I'd worry about the valve train. Suzuki looks pretty solid. The good news is they are all great!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shigbie

Posted December 09, 2005 - 05:52 PM

Think about it...Since 2002 the entire industry embraced the Honda CRF as the most advanced and undisputed king of the 450's and now it's third! I disagree and bellieve these shoot-outs do mean quite a bit. If the Yamaha had won we'd all be on the band wagon barking our "AAARRGGHHH, AARRGGHH", "AAARRRGGGHHH"

But the honda coming in third puts these bikes in perspective. I had an 03 CRF and it was hands down the best bike I had ever owned. I did have to do some valve maintenace, but man that bike was awesome! I rode an 04 yz450 and wasn't all that impressed, so the shoot-outs were accurate. Last year Racer X posted Honda (1), Suzuki (2) and now they are battling for third!

I can't wait to dump the clutch on that new bike.....

• triplejumper

Posted December 09, 2005 - 06:18 PM

The 450's are geting to be like the 250 smokes, they are all good, fairly equal, and any given rider can win on any of them. There are no standouts nor any roaches in the group. The deversity of the testers comments, and the different magazine test results, show this.

• Open_Class

Posted December 09, 2005 - 06:30 PM

Ok,

So I am just finally glad someone in a mag has come out and called out the "twitchy" front end on the CRF. I owned the 05 and I NEVER could get rid of it.

Yes, I own the KXF450, but I did think that the riders in this shoot out called out legitimate pros and cons for each model. And you can not dispute the credentials of the test riders, particularly G. Alby. You will notice he did not rank them, but provided feed back on all of them.

If you hace a chance to ride one fellas, you should. It is a good bike.

• ovrrdrive

Posted December 09, 2005 - 08:29 PM

Anyone else find it strange that they raised the forks on the Yamaha and not any of the others?

And that they didn't give an explanation why, unless I missed it.

Yamaha: Stock jetting. Sag recommended at 95mm to 97mm. We slid the forks up 5mm in the clamps until they were at the first line on the forks. This quickened the steering considerably. Some riders liked it, some didn’t.

Kawasaki: Stock jetting. Sag recommended at 100mm to 102mm. Suggested gearing change to 48 rear sprocket.

Honda: Stock Jetting. Sag recommended at 100mm to 105mm.

Suzuki: Stock jetting. Sag recommended at 105mm to 108mm.

KTM: Stock jetting. Sag recommended at 105mm to 108mm.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 09, 2005 - 09:21 PM

The dumbest lamest shootout I have ever read...no consistancy at all....every rider rider had a quirk about this or that...CRF 3rd give me a break....kawi is nice but 1st I thought the power shut down too quick according to the the stupid mags...?... I saw the bike today first time... it would be my 2nd/3rd choice period, maybe next year...I will have to ride the one gear wonder before I stamp my approval as the first..yea handling/cornering possibly...reliability and power and overall = the big unknown..Yami..best suspension/best reliability = best rider effort- they all have the power...I choose least maintenance - suzuki fails honda comes in next, kawi is unknown and Yami is proven...and for some unknown reason the yami is more expensive than all of em. :applause: and

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted December 09, 2005 - 09:28 PM

The 450's are geting to be like the 250 smokes, they are all good, fairly equal, and any given rider can win on any of them.

I agree. It comes down to ergos, feel and one's ridings style. They are all great bikes.

• BlindSide

Posted December 09, 2005 - 10:27 PM

Sit on em all, and pick the one you like the best. Then promptly set it up to your style, dial it in. You'll be happy.

• bierfasser

Posted December 09, 2005 - 10:34 PM

you're just mad cause you ride a yami. if you are ranking the kawi third on looks youre dumb. like it was said above, they are all good bikes, they are all really close. it just came down to what rider liked what. and ya know what, thats what matters.

The dumbest lamest shootout I have ever read...no consistancy at all....every rider rider had a quirk about this or that...CRF 3rd give me a break....kawi is nice but 1st I thought the power shut down too quick according to the the stupid mags...?... I saw the bike today first time... it would be my 2nd/3rd choice period, maybe next year...I will have to ride the one gear wonder before I stamp my approval as the first..yea handling/cornering possibly...reliability and power and overall = the big unknown..Yami..best suspension/best reliability = best rider effort- they all have the power...I choose least maintenance - suzuki fails honda comes in next, kawi is unknown and Yami is proven...and for some unknown reason the yami is more expensive than all of em. :applause: and

• bierfasser

Posted December 09, 2005 - 10:36 PM

could not have said it better my self. my bike came in dead last for the 250F shoot out in CycleNews (cause the 06 RMZ is the same pretty much as the 05 KXF), but ya know what, i still love it.

Sit on em all, and pick the one you like the best. Then promptly set it up to your style, dial it in. You'll be happy.

• aford541

Posted December 09, 2005 - 11:44 PM

I'm stoked, Last year I bought a bike that barely beat the KTM (05 YZ450)this year Im buying one that got second in a half assed shootout.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.