Something Bent Up Front??????

6 replies to this topic
  • hybridz77

Posted December 08, 2005 - 02:02 PM

I was out ridin this past weekend took a few (soft) spills yada yada yada, long story short. After a spill I noticed something wasn't straight up front, thought it was my handlebars (brand new pro tapers). But under further inspection its somewhere between the top triple clamp and the front wheel axle somethin aint right. The front wheel is pointed left about 5 degrees with the top triple clamp straight.

Is it possible for the forks to rotate in the triple clamps? It seems the only way my front tire to pointed to the left 5-10 degrees while the upper triple clamp is straight. I hope this is possible and I didn't bend anything $$$$$.

• CRFThumper

Posted December 08, 2005 - 02:10 PM

YUP!!! Lossen the pinch bolts and you should hear a ping,the forks moving back to center.If not just twist them a little.

• clark4131

Posted December 08, 2005 - 02:15 PM

Is it possible for the forks to rotate in the triple clamps?

Yep! Put the bike on the stand and loosen both of the triple clamps, the axle pinch bolts and axle nut. Realign and retorque the forks in the triple clamps, 17-18 ft/lbs for the upper, 14-15 ft/lbs for the lower. Then torque the axle nut to 75 ft/lbs, leaving the pinch bolts loose. Take the bike off the stand, apply the front brake and cycle the forks about 7 or 8 times to align the axle. With the bike straight up and down, then tighten the axle pinch bolts to 17-18 ft/lbs. That should straighten you out. If not, then you may have misaligned your upper and lower triples and you'll need to loosen the stem nut and repeat the above process finishing with tightening the stem as the final torque of 105 ft/lbs. If that doesn't work, then you may have bent something, but I highly doubt it unless you had a gnarly wreck and also have a portion of your body encased in a plaster-like substance...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • old man dan

Posted December 08, 2005 - 02:41 PM

Yep! Put the bike on the stand and loosen both of the triple clamps, the axle pinch bolts and axle nut. Realign and retorque the forks in the triple clamps, 17-18 ft/lbs for the upper, 14-15 ft/lbs for the lower. Then torque the axle nut to 75 ft/lbs, leaving the pinch bolts loose. Take the bike off the stand, apply the front brake and cycle the forks about 7 or 8 times to align the axle. With the bike straight up and down, then tighten the axle pinch bolts to 17-18 ft/lbs. That should straighten you out. If not, then you may have misaligned your upper and lower triples and you'll need to loosen the stem nut and repeat the above process finishing with tightening the stem as the final torque of 105 ft/lbs. If that doesn't work, then you may have bent something, but I highly doubt it unless you had a gnarly wreck and also have a portion of your body encased in a plaster-like substance...SC

Don't underestimate the need to torques the pinch bolts very carefully. The torque value feels low when you do it but it's very easy to crush the tubes enough to affect the operation of the fork. Get an inch/pound torque wrench and use it carefully.

• RichBaker

Posted December 09, 2005 - 10:22 AM

Loosen the top stem nut and leave the bottom triple clamps alone, otherwise the procedure is correct...and DON'T overtorque the triple clamp pinch bolts, it will cause sticky forks...

• Johnny34

Posted December 09, 2005 - 10:31 AM

Same thing happened to me on my 05'. Just follow the wise words posted above and you'll be fine.

• ARin

Posted December 09, 2005 - 02:35 PM

after loosening the triple clamp pinch bolts, tweak everything back to what looks like dead center. then grab your handlbars and hump the suspension up and down a few times to true everything up, then retorque the pinch nuts TO SPEC WITH A TORQUE WRENCH!

last part is of utmost importance, if you dont have one buy one or borrow one.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.