WR tranny in YZ? - revisited

75 replies to this topic
  • swatdoc

Posted September 13, 2007 - 09:59 PM

thanks Gray - couldn't find it on the regular search for some reason

• MikeDD

Posted October 01, 2007 - 08:43 PM

Ahh that was an old question hehe. Did you swap to the wr tranny swatdoc?

I have been running 15/51 gearing lately. Seems to work well on the street. It pulls around 6k rpm on the highway at 60 - 65, which fels like a good rpm range to be operating in. It's a little high for some of the tight trails but I added a flywheel weight which helped a lot with the stalling.

• tnl

Posted October 01, 2007 - 09:12 PM

I have a 05 450 where stock gearing is 14/51. I switched to a 14/48 recently. Is this the same set up as a 15/51? I was after a higher 4th gear for the open desert stuff and feel as though I got an extra 10 mph out of it but because I don't have a speedo it's just a guess? I'm interested in the wr tranny mod for my yz though...

• swatdoc

Posted October 01, 2007 - 10:25 PM

Mike - still stock tranny - MIGHT swap gears when I have it apart for some other reason. Just geared up for now trying 15/44.
Just got my bike running today. Had a prob with front brake line and master cylinder so had to ship them off to Graves - so no front brake for a couple weeks. Still need to wire the lights on too.

• MikeDD

Posted October 02, 2007 - 03:11 AM

tnl, thats basically the same gearing. I like having the 51 tooth out back becuase its a lot easier to swap the countershaft sprocket for trails. You should get another 10 mph with that gearing, thats what I got going to a 15.

Glad to hear your bike is running Swatdoc! Did you get a chance to putt it around at all yet? Curious to know how you like that 15/44 gearing.

As far as the lights go on my bike, if the rpms are above 4k they work fine but at idle they get very very dim. Hopefully your setup works a little better. I'm not sure I might be loosing some current through the wiring harness I am using but so far it hasn't really been an issue. The lights work fine when the bike is moving.

Hope your up and running soon!

• stroker yz426

Posted October 02, 2007 - 09:55 AM

I would like to upgrade my 2002 YZ426 to a WR tranny this winter since Ive made it street legal. I could really use some more top speed. So can I buy the two shafts, 9 gears, 3 forks, and the shift cam from a 2002 WR and it will work?

you dont need all that you need the main shaft(1st gear is built on it) second and fifth gear....you will need the counter shaft gears for each 1,2,5 gear.....3 &4 are the same on all the yz400-426 yz and wr models......the forks...counter shaft and shift drum are all the same....i am in the process of doing this mod to my 00 426...if you have any questions hit up "grayracer" he knows his stuff about our older thumpers
hope it helps

• grayracer513

Posted October 02, 2007 - 10:00 AM

you dont need all that you need the main shaft(1st gear is built on it) second and fifth gear....you will need the counter shaft gears for each 1,2,5 gear.....3 &4 are the same on all the yz400-426 yz and wr models......the forks...counter shaft and shift drum are all the same....

That info does not apply to the 4 speed 450's about which the question was originally asked. They require either the complete WR450 trans ('03-'06) or the use of a complete 400-426 5 speed along with a bunch of custom fitting and machine work as mentioned earlier.

• CodyWayne718

Posted July 12, 2011 - 02:16 AM

Old thread but since the title isn't a specific year, I'll post it here since I keep getting the same threads no matter what I type in the search bar. What WR trans or gears will fit right up with the 2010 YZ450? I came across the ratios to a lot of YZs and WRs in another thread that had to do with the WR and YZ250, I think gray posted them, don't hold me to that. If I remember correctly the only gear that was different in the WR and YZ450 was 1st, I could be wrong and I don't remember what years that was :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2011 - 06:36 AM

Did you look in Common Threads? This thread is linked from there, but specifies it's for 4 speed 450's. You need this thread for the '06 and later:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=464212

I haven't tried the swap on a '10 or later, but as nearly everything in the gearbox is the same as for the '06, I'm going to guess that it works. For the sake of clarity, please ask any questions you still have on the matter in that thread.

• ttr250dude

Posted July 12, 2011 - 07:47 PM

Is it possible to put a WR first gear in an '08 YZ but keep the other gears stock?

• CROGGR

Posted July 12, 2011 - 11:15 PM

Is it possible to put a WR first gear in an '08 YZ but keep the other gears stock?

Yes! But you might want to consider changing the first three gears to wr and leave the yz 4th and 5th and gear the bike up. Or leave the stock yz 1 thru 3 and change the 4th and 5th to wr and then gear the bike down. Both work really well and don't have a weird gear gap.

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2011 - 07:18 AM

Changing only the first gear would not be something you'd like very much. The WR second gear is lower to help bridge from the very low first to the almost identical third.

You could use just the first 3 from the WR, but the top 3 are then oddly close together. If you want a very low first gear, the best set up is just to go with the whole WR gear set. The good thing about this swap in the later, 5 speed YZ450's is that you don't need the shift cam, or forks, or the output shaft, so it's a good deal cheaper than if you had a 4 speed.

If you are OK with first as it is, or just want something a little lower (like what you can achieve by using a 50 or 51 tooth rear), but want to have a higher top gear, then one of the slickest swaps is to use the WR 4th and 5th gears. This gives you a first 4 gears exactly like the 4 speed YZ450 had, but with one more added on top. :thumbsup:

• ttr250dude

Posted July 13, 2011 - 09:11 PM

So are you saying if i used WR 1st gear and YZ 2,3,4,5 gears, the gap between 1st and 2nd would be so big that it would get annoying/unpractial? I like the close ratio that my stock bike has, but it would be nice if the 1st gear was a little lower for tight single track.

• grayracer513

Posted July 14, 2011 - 07:07 AM

So are you saying if i used WR 1st gear and YZ 2,3,4,5 gears, the gap between 1st and 2nd would be so big that it would get annoying/unpractial? I like the close ratio that my stock bike has, but it would be nice if the 1st gear was a little lower for tight single track.

That's exactly what I said. "Impractical", BTW.

I think you would be somewhat surprised at how much you would like a Rekluse Z-Start Pro clutch. My '06 is geared one tooth higher than stock at 13/48, and I have no trouble with the tight stuff.

There's one for sale in the classifieds as of this morning, too.

• ttr250dude

Posted July 14, 2011 - 02:59 PM

Thanks for all the help and advice. I'll just leave my tranny stock. First gear with 13/52 gearing isn't too bad for me right now. If I had the money for a used Rekluse I suppose it would be worth a try, but right now I'm working part time and paying off my snowmobile so I don't have much spare change right now. Would it be worth finding a used cheaper one, or is the Z-Start Pro the only way to go? What makes it better than the other Rekluses?

• grayracer513

Posted July 14, 2011 - 03:08 PM

If you don't have the $300 or so for a used ZSP, you shouldn't be thinking too seriously about modifying the gearbox.

The Z-Start pro is not the "top of the line", it's the middle point, price and technology-wise. It lacks the "normal" lever feel of the top of the line Core EXP (the lever feels slack at an idle, and very light underway with the clutch engaged) and you can't bump start with it as you can with the less expensive "trail" or "EXP" clutch (requires a temporary adjustment), but it's a fully capable, race grade off-road auto clutch that uses a full clutch pack. Some think it's a better off-road clutch than the Core EXP is. It's a pretty slick piece of work.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.