Red Hot Start Button On A 99 WR400 ?

9 replies to this topic
  • standup rider

Posted December 08, 2005 - 10:29 AM

I recently purchased a 99 WR400. Everthing was stock except the previous owner took off the top cover to the air cleaner box. I have read in this forum that you should remove the top boot. Is removing the top cover the same thing and if not will this cause me any problems down the road with possibly to much air or it being to easy to get water sucked in under rainy conditions or something. I have done most of the free mods, Throttle stop, disconnected the grey wire and installed a less restrictive GYT Insert into my stock exhaust which I plan to stay with. I want to try changing the cam timing to the YZ specs and also work on getting rid of that off the bottom bog you get when you snap the throttle which I have a good idea off this forum on how to accomplish this by the info I have found here.
The two unknowns that I have is 1- as I have mentioned above concerning the complete cover being off the top of my air cleaner causing a potential problem with water, future tuning, etc and 2 - I have read that the hot start button on the side of my carb did not come until the 2000 WR400 so I am not sure if I have a stock 99 0r 2000 carb and if it would be a FCR1 or 2. Help in answering these two questions would be greatly appreciated.
Also,I ride at between 1000' and 1500' of elevation and ride anything from tight single tracks to fire roads. Any formula as far as re-jetting my carb from stock with the way I ride and the mods that I have done would be greatly appreciated

• 5valve

Posted December 08, 2005 - 10:46 AM

Keep the airbox cover off and check air filter regularly

if hot start is mounted on the carb, you have 2000 or later carb, maybe even bike?
I think this is FCR2

• rockieman

Posted December 08, 2005 - 07:29 PM

Hot start did come on the 99's ...at least it did on mine. :applause:

• jchantzWR400F

Posted December 08, 2005 - 07:32 PM

Mine to.

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted December 08, 2005 - 07:38 PM

I had a hot start in my 98WR400, I bought the motion pro remote kit and moved it to the Handlebar though. It's a pain to push in with your left hand if your trying to re-start in gear if you leave it on the carb.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted December 08, 2005 - 08:13 PM

My 99 has hot start too.

I had same mods as you, never did the YZ timing though the bike seemed to rip just fine, still does.........

The air box cover and snorkle - I had mine off for a while and the bike did breath much better but I had a run in with a "tank trap", (a large hole dug at a trail head to keep 4WD's out), it was full of water and alot deeper than I thought. I really think that that cover and snorkel would have saved me if I had it on but after replacing the plug twice with the only dry ones I had on me, tipping the bike up side down, etc... I still ended up pushing my bike out.

If you ride alot water crossings I'd leave the cover and snorkle on, there is a reason they call it an off road bike and not a motocross bike........

You'll love that bike :applause:

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 08, 2005 - 09:10 PM

99 wr400 had the hot start external to the carb. If it's mounted right on the body of the carb it's probably not the original carb. There are three basic versions of the FCR carb that Yamaha has used. FCR1 had the hot start mounted externally vis a hose connection and was mounted on the frame behind the carb. FCR2 came out in 2000 or 2001? and it has the hot start integrated into the carb with the knob on the side of the carb. FCR3 came out in 2003 and has a remote handlebar mounted lever and the actuator cable attaches to the top of the carb.

• Bamster

Posted December 09, 2005 - 05:23 AM

99 wr400 had the hot start external to the carb. If it's mounted right on the body of the carb it's probably not the original carb. There are three basic versions of the FCR carb that Yamaha has used. FCR1 had the hot start mounted externally vis a hose connection and was mounted on the frame behind the carb. FCR2 came out in 2000 or 2001? and it has the hot start integrated into the carb with the knob on the side of the carb. FCR3 came out in 2003 and has a remote handlebar mounted lever and the actuator cable attaches to the top of the carb.

My 99 has the red hot start on the side of the carb and a YZ throtle stop.
This was stock on the Canadian model.

• standup rider

Posted December 13, 2005 - 11:25 AM

Thanks everyone for clearing up my hot start button question. I read a article concerning the 2000 WR400 that made the comment that this was the first year for a hot start button (connected to the carb). I thought that was what mine had but its not connected directly to the carb but instead connected to the frame with a hose going to the carb as was pointed out to me from PBDBLUE.

• MN_Kevin

Posted December 13, 2005 - 06:45 PM

Get yourself a JD jet kit.
Disconnect the gray wire from your CDI to your main frame wiring harness under your gas tank.
Disconnect the blue wire that comes off the wiring mess near your countershaft sprocket.
Modify your accelerator pump (Taffy Mod) to limit your pump stroke to 0.5 seconds.
Remove and pitch that Octopus Mess (air cut valve) of vacuum hoses off your carb.
Install T's into your carb vents >> Run the top hoses into your airbox.
You can re-route that breather hose that runs down the main frame down tube. Air (and water and sand and...) WILL get sucked into your engine while kicking the bike over (this is AFTER you drown it out while crossing the stream due to the lack of T's in your carb vents).

I still own my 99 WR400.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.