Red hot exhaust

26 replies to this topic
  • fred yale

Posted December 07, 2005 - 09:56 PM

When I start my 02 426F in the garage, I can see the exhaust glowing red hot by the head. Is this normal? Thanks, Fred

• FASTFORWARDMX716

Posted December 07, 2005 - 10:11 PM

yes this is normal. the thin Ti header will glow like that until you ride it and cool it off. dont worry about it.

• Fizz

Posted December 07, 2005 - 10:51 PM

has'nt it something to do with the ignition setting (to make it easier to start) when the gear is in neutral?

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 08, 2005 - 04:12 AM

They should find every message with "glowing header" in the title and flag it as "newbie to 4-strokes". :applause: Just kidding. It's normal, don't sweat it. Nothing to do with special ignitions, etc.. 4-strokes have very hot exhaust and the metal that the header is made of glows easily. The combo gives you a glowing header. Enjoy!

• Fizz

Posted December 08, 2005 - 04:47 AM

ok, guess i'm misinformed then ..

what do the neutral switch do? :applause:

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 08, 2005 - 05:14 AM

I believe the neutral switch lowers the RPM that the rev limiter kicks in. I doubt it has anything at all to do with starting; your most critical starts typically occurr while it's in gear.

• Fizz

Posted December 08, 2005 - 05:22 AM

your most critical starts typically occurr while it's in gear.

that sounds reasonable .. :applause:

• ian56

Posted December 08, 2005 - 07:23 AM

I don't believe the 426 comes stock with a titanium header pipe, but maybe you're leaving the choke on too long when it's cold.

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2005 - 08:18 AM

The neutral switch on my 450 changes both the rev limit and remaps the ignition, and according to my strobe light, retards the timing at idle compared to when it's in gear. Sometimes I can hear the idle speed drop when I slide it into neutral due to the timing shift. They're probably more concerned with how it runs in gear at an idle than with how it starts, but whatever the case, the reasoning behind the idea is something we will likely never know for certain. They've also taken it out of the new ignition system, so they've figured out they can live without it.

The retarded timing at idle does contribute to the red pipe. I notice it takes longer to glow if I put the bike in gear.

• Fizz

Posted December 08, 2005 - 08:27 AM

so was like ... half right?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted December 08, 2005 - 04:32 PM

so was like ... half right?

OK you get 1/2 credit. :applause:

Retarded timing makes sense. 4-strokes are less likely to kick back at slow speeds (kick-start speeds) if the timing is retarded. Anyone remember trying to kickstart one of those old 4-strokes before electronic ignition? Kick to slow and WHAMO you have a foot that points strait up, or a leg with 2 knees. Anyway, I thought they solved the kickback issues by not allowing it to fire until the engine was spinning at least a certain speed. Very neat to know about the timing light, thanks for the info. :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2005 - 04:56 PM

OK you get 1/2 credit. :applause:

Retarded timing makes sense. 4-strokes are less likely to kick back at slow speeds (kick-start speeds) if the timing is retarded. Anyone remember trying to kickstart one of those old 4-strokes before electronic ignition?

I do. Do you remember the British bikes with Lucas mags that had spark retard levers? I'll bet I got you with that one.

Sidebar: I warmed up the bike a little then stopped to get the rest of my gear ready. After a few minutes, I went to start it in gear and nearly got my foot broken, right through my Alpinestars! It was the hardest I've ever been whacked by any kick crank. I guess having a light flywheel lets the engine accelerate quickly in both directions, eh? Anyway, grayracer doesn't start his bike in gear anymore unless it's real warmed up. It only happened that once, but that was enough for me. :ride:

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 08, 2005 - 05:03 PM

I do. Do you remember the British bikes with Lucas mags that had spark retard levers? I'll bet I got you with that one.

Indeed you win! :applause: :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2005 - 05:14 PM

Indeed you win! :applause: :ride:

Really? What's the prize? : ohgoodyohgoody:

• shigbie

Posted December 08, 2005 - 05:20 PM

No problems...I had a 01 426 and my first night race it totally freaked me out but it is normal. it can extend 5 to 6 inches from the jug

• Shawn_Mc

Posted December 08, 2005 - 05:33 PM

Talk about getting kicked back...my brand new 83' XL600 kicked me back one day when I kicked at it half assed...it spit my leg back up into the handle bar hard enough to bend my dang bars....not to mention the bruise on my leg...

When I was a kid, I saw a drunk guy get kicked back by his Harley after the races one Friday night at Ascot. The thing spit his drunk ass off into a big puddle...pretty dang funny...

• grayracer513

Posted December 09, 2005 - 08:00 AM

When I was a kid, I saw a drunk guy get kicked back by his Harley after the races one Friday night at Ascot. The thing spit his drunk ass off into a big puddle...pretty dang funny...

Those older bikes were different. They had a lot of force behind the crank when they kicked back, but with all the weight in the old crankshafts, it was a lot more of a quick push than a sharp blow. If you did right, it couldn't hurt you.

We had a Norton 19S in the shop for a while once. It was a 1000cc single cylinder built in the mid fifties to haul sidecars around, and was only sold in England and Europe. We used to park it next to the building for fun and let it toss us up over the side of the bike onto a work bench and see how high we could go, or over the bars and if we could land on our feet. It was like a gas powered trampoline. Crazy kids.

But when the 450 got me it was completely different; like being hit in the arch with a hammer, or just shot in the foot.

• odlaw19

Posted December 09, 2005 - 10:27 PM

I would think the lower RPM in gear would be a result of the clutch dragging.....

I do agree that retarding the timing does lower the RPM but i think the clutch would be move of a factor.

Waldo
YZ426

• fred yale

Posted December 12, 2005 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for the info! I just got this 426 and LOVE it! It handles perfect! Light enough in the front end to wheelie, and has great bottom end power! I've been riding a XR 600 Honda that is a real sled. All it's good for is blazing down the fire roads and hill climbs. At almost 300 lbs it's a pig. Somebody said that if there were no such thing as the Baja 1000 there would be no use for the XR 600 and 650! Later, Fred

• grayracer513

Posted December 12, 2005 - 04:23 PM

I would think the lower RPM in gear would be a result of the clutch dragging.....

I do agree that retarding the timing does lower the RPM but i think the clutch would be move of a factor.

Clutch drag is a factor in gear at a standstill. The RPM drop occurs on a shift to neutral, after which clutch drag ceases to factor into things, since the parts it drags against will then spin freely.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.