Clutch Noise

3 replies to this topic
  • SaltyWalrus

Posted December 07, 2005 - 01:04 PM

Do clutch throw-out bearings on the "R" go bad and make a noise when you pull in the clutch lever? Kind of a chattering noise. Intermittent, but definitely gets your attention when it does it.

• TimBrp

Posted December 08, 2005 - 03:43 AM

Check your basket for grooving. Mine made some screeches before.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snaggleXR650

Posted December 08, 2005 - 05:23 AM

Are you aware of the clutch bushing problem on the '00- ~'02 bikes? They are known to gall up and ruin your clutch basket. There is an updated part# for all the newer model bikes, it has more oil holes etc... It's easy to change and the part is cheap. Look into it ASAP before you have to buy a new clutch basket that's VERY expensive. The updated part# is 22116-MBN-671. You will need a new lock nut also as you will have to grind the staking out of the stock one. Read up on it here;

http://xr650r.us/clutch/

• SaltyWalrus

Posted December 08, 2005 - 08:32 AM

One of the first things I did was replace the clutch bushing. It started making a chattering noise when the clutch lever was pulled in all the way, not when slipping the clutch to apply power. I put in an extra metal plate this summer to eliminate slipping and basket looked like new.

This chattering noise started right after dumping bike onto a small log on the clutch side. Exterior looks fine, so I don't know if the timing is coincidence.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.