what type of bars?

12 replies to this topic
  • Taffy

Posted August 30, 2001 - 01:48 PM

i've just fitted my scotts triple clamp set and a used damper which i've been sat on for 5 months. i would call the bar bend that i have as standard. they are however 1" higher than standard and i now want to go lower as well as forward with a new set.

i need a set that hardly sweep back at all-if any so to speak. i want them in pro-taper.

any suggestions lads please?

Taffy

• Stefe9999

Posted August 30, 2001 - 02:12 PM

Hey Taffy,
Not related to your bars, but if you have a 00/01 WR426 I have a question about the stock pipe on the European model. The bike has a strange stainless steel sealed pipe on it, with a very small outlet hole in it. However, it has no mention of being a spark arrestor. It is a wonderfully quiet pipe however. I'd like to know if it is considered a spark arrestor.
Thanks
Steve

• Bill

Posted August 30, 2001 - 02:21 PM

Taffy,

Go to Renthals web site. They have a dimension chart for all of their bars. You can compare those measurements to the bars you have, to sort out what you want.

Bill

------------------
99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• Taffy

Posted August 31, 2001 - 11:34 PM

i don't think they would call our pipes "spark arrested". but your right, they are very quiet. if the japanese made it, it's good.

thanks bill, and er.... smile mate, you never know, it might never happen!!!
Taffy

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 03, 2001 - 08:55 AM

Taffy, I have the Doug Henry Pro-Tapers, They feel very straight to me with hardly any sweep. Im 5'8" so I don't want a High bar either, but these bars are very comfortable to me. Are you set on getting the Pro-Tapers? If not I have a set of Renthal "Jeremy" bend that you could have. They feel similar to the Doug Henry bend Pro-Tapers...

• Taffy

Posted September 03, 2001 - 11:06 AM

cheers dan

my mounts are for the pro tapers and they're proven aren't they? i can still feel all my digits.

our biggest web buy dealer over here is race spec and i've left them with the ?

they sell 'CR bend' and 'mcgrath' etc so i'm sure they'll tell me. i'm 5'9". but armed with your info i shall see what they say.

with the scotts TC's and damper i had my bars back toward me 15mm (they were well forward!) so time for the straight bars to keep me forward!

i also used to have the fork legs through 18mm and now it's 8mm. so by lifting a set of flat bars higher in their clamps (on blocks)i can drop the forks through more.

one thing i learnt or observed yesterday was how much the wr riders lock up the rear end and bounce into a corner. you know; the rear end pogo-ing!

on the roadracers this used to happen as well and the answer is simple; the rear caliper pivots on the rear spindle but is stopped from rotating with the wheel by a tie-rod to the frame.

i've never seen this set up on a dirt bike though?

thanks again.

Taffy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tbronco

Posted September 05, 2001 - 07:09 PM

Suzuki's 80's Full Floater rear suspension was set up like that. it used a rear drum brake.

• Taffy

Posted September 09, 2001 - 12:42 PM

as some of you know i had moved my bars forward a very long way in the past. i'm talking about 25mm or an inch from standard.

i didn't realise though that the sweep of the bars was hemming me in!

it dawned on me a coupla months ago and with the new scotts triple clamps thrust back 15mm (2/3") i suddenly realised that the bone on the outside 'heel' of my hand was doing all the work.

i've always been built like a bull mastiff so i asked for the right bars.

i've just spent this weekend with a set of renthall fat bars with the 'carmichael bend'. they are taller than the yamaha bars but they're also straighter.

(i wanted flat and straight but apparently nobody does them).

that means that i've got my 15mm (2/3") back yippee!!! and boy are they an improvement.

i respectfully suggest that many of you big boy barrage balloons get a set. brilliant!

i wanted them to be both LOW and STRAIGHT but i could only get these, high 'n straight. now piss me off and tell me i could have had .........set!!

Taffy

• Stefe9999

Posted September 09, 2001 - 12:57 PM

So far, I have the stock bars and clamps on mine. The problem I'm having is that I ALWAYS find myself way to forward, so I'm constantly feeling I'm just about to go over the bars. I'm 6-3 with long arms.

So here is my two part question:
Has anyone else had the feeling of being too far forward, and:

IS THIS WHAT HIGH BEND BARS AND RISERS FIX?

Although the 426 is a very tall bike, the cockpit still seems better for shorter riders. My former KLX did not have this problem at all, I always felt properly positioned on the bike.

Steve

• SC_Spode

Posted September 09, 2001 - 01:51 PM

But Taffy,
what jetting changes were required because of these mods?

:)

• Taffy

Posted September 09, 2001 - 11:34 PM

as i understand it the tall blokes are getting tall bars. they also get them as far forward as they can so they exert more control.

spode
down one, up two and then down one again (now where does that leave you?).

• Salinas_THumper

Posted August 03, 2011 - 01:18 PM

So far, I have the stock bars and clamps on mine. The problem I'm having is that I ALWAYS find myself way to forward, so I'm constantly feeling I'm just about to go over the bars. I'm 6-3 with long arms.

So here is my two part question:
Has anyone else had the feeling of being too far forward, and:

IS THIS WHAT HIGH BEND BARS AND RISERS FIX?

Although the 426 is a very tall bike, the cockpit still seems better for shorter riders. My former KLX did not have this problem at all, I always felt properly positioned on the bike.

Steve

Steve,
I am 6'1'' and I have the stocker assembly on my bike. The answer is YES the reason you are so far forward is because the bars on the stocker Wr's are way to low for anyone over 6' that likes to stand when they ride. I constantly find myself leaning forward when standing and that is A dangerous feeling in my opinion. I just ordered a set of 2" rox risers and a pair of camichael high bend bars. I called motion pro and they said to instal all of the equipment and leave all of the cables attached to your engine and then the distance from the end of you cables to the controls is the "plus length" . once you have this distance you can call them and they can make custom cables for you that will allow you to run this higher bar setup.

I know from past bikes that the higher bars is always a lot safer and causes a lot less arm pump.

Mark

• dustdogg

Posted August 03, 2011 - 05:20 PM

Steve,
I am 6'1'' and I have the stocker assembly on my bike. The answer is YES the reason you are so far forward is because the bars on the stocker Wr's are way to low for anyone over 6' that likes to stand when they ride. I constantly find myself leaning forward when standing and that is A dangerous feeling in my opinion. I just ordered a set of 2" rox risers and a pair of camichael high bend bars. I called motion pro and they said to instal all of the equipment and leave all of the cables attached to your engine and then the distance from the end of you cables to the controls is the "plus length" . once you have this distance you can call them and they can make custom cables for you that will allow you to run this higher bar setup.

I know from past bikes that the higher bars is always a lot safer and causes a lot less arm pump.

Mark

FYI - you just replied to a 10 year old thread:p

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.