Mountainbikers...Grrrr!

138 replies to this topic
  • toyota_mdt_tech

Posted December 10, 2005 - 07:04 PM

This mountain bike rider is definitely ill informed. Lets see... the four inches of dirt you need for your bike is tearing up the environment....well, what does he think will happen when the four wheelers find his trail? And that is nothing if you have ever seen what happens when a bunch of 4X4 jeeps get together...

Careful here! Dont bash the 4 wheelers. Notice how you point to quads and Jeeps as being worse? As far as the mt biker is concerend, its quads, jeeps and motorcycles, they are all worse in his eyes. Dont throw the quads and Jeepers to the wolves, because when they are gone, they will come after your 2 wheels next! And who will be there to defend your interest when all the others are gone? No one!

• rushfan

Posted December 10, 2005 - 07:08 PM

Man...this is good stuff. Who's next???

• Matty05

Posted December 10, 2005 - 07:13 PM

At the end of the day, you should just look out for yourself. You can't please all of the people all of the time. Just make yourself happy and F*** everyone else!
One person can't change the world, but one can ruin your day.
Have fun, ruin his first!

• BIGBLUEKNIGHT

Posted December 10, 2005 - 07:18 PM

i have decided there are a lot of liberal green weenie mountain bikers with sand in their vaginas and they need to be given shovels :applause:

• TTRer

Posted December 10, 2005 - 07:18 PM

I'm gonna get on a soap box here:

A person who loses his temper and over reacts to some yelling from a total jerk-off is still an ******* in my book. I wasn't there, I don't know what happened, but I don't see how someone yelling at you should have provoked you to be physically confrontational. You could have just as easily said, "have a nice day I hope you don't treat other courteous trail users with the same animosity that you've shown me"...and been on your way.

Call me a pacifist, but words are not going to provoke me into an act that portrays me as being a hot head. This is how stereotypes start. I'm sure that MTB rider is on some equivalent forum talking about how some ******* MC rider threatened to beat him up him for wanting to protect the environment! (yeah right) I bet that MTB rider will be more of a prick to the next MC rider he comes across. Maybe he'll even get his "green" friends to make some booby traps or block some trails in the name of their BS cause. And that is really not good.

I've been on almost all sides of this, I've been yelled at by hikers, I've been yelled at by equestrians, both on my MC and on my MTB. And I've been roosted on while hiking by an MC riding moron that yelled at me for slowing him down! I always just listen to the BS and then tell them it's a multi-use trail and if we all act responsibly and safely we should all be able to respect eachother and get along. (you better be sure you know the trail you are on is open for your use type if you take this approach, because you will look dumb regardless if you are on a closed trail) My experience is that when I have said this the person yelling opens up and admits to taking out on me what some other a-hole on a ride like mine should have gotten. It was payback for something I didn't do, but somebody else on a MC, or MTB, or in hiking boots had been a jackass to them and they were pissed about it. That's why I say don't let anger and stupidity escalate; defuse it, be the better person. We must share the trails or the trails will be lost.

Protect your privilege to use the trail by being an ambassador to your sport, no matter what you are riding. I strive to always be seen in a positive light when on the trails. I'm sure there will always be other trail users that will have a hard-on for me just for being on a MC, MTB or whatever. But hey, the world isn't perfect, let that be their problem...words are harmless. First, I'm gonna kill'em with kindness unless they come swingin' for me. And in that case, well, then it's on! :applause:

:p :p :lol:
And not to mention, it's a natural thing for them to do when your cruising down hill worry- free, while he's pedaling his brains out to go 1/2 a foot.

Don't sweat the small stuff, Clark. :ride:

• rushfan

Posted December 10, 2005 - 07:31 PM

i have decided there are a lot of liberal green weenie mountain bikers with sand in their vaginas and they need to be given shovels :applause:

LOL!!!

• rushfan

Posted December 10, 2005 - 07:32 PM

At the end of the day, you should just look out for yourself. You can't please all of the people all of the time. Just make yourself happy and F*** everyone else!

Amen to that !!! Sometimes I think, "quit trying to save the world and just worry about yourself"!!

• 426mankiller

Posted December 10, 2005 - 08:54 PM

Yeah, Toyota tech. you are right...we offroaders need to stick together. I would like to rescind my comment and default back to page 3.

i've never spoken to them but every now and then(3 times that i can recall) i get behind one on a tight trail and they won't move! are they thinkin' ? that they're fast enough to run with a yz 450? i try to be polite and ride just revving it up a little behind them ,but it always ends up with me having to pass them in a fit of rage,dumping the clutch in 2nd gear with my 120's spitting whatever terrain it happens to be into their smug little faces,while my 102 db exhaust rears them into a deafened state that they could have avoided just by getting the heck outa the way!!!! :applause:

:ride:

• velosapiens

Posted December 11, 2005 - 06:22 PM

i guess i don't really care what people in australia do, but i strongly urge all americans to disregard this statement. one person really can make a difference here in land-use issues. and if every person who rides a dirtbike does even the bare minimum, and spends a couple hours a year on access issues, it can make a HUGE difference. you don't have to be like bill dart, and devote your entire adult life to it (thank god he has done that tho. that one person has dramatically changed the off-road outlook in the western US), and you don't have to be like dave wood, clark frentzen, and countless others in california who spend hundreds of hours on political activism and trail maintenance. heck, if you really want to be a selfish prick, you don't even have to do the minimum of joining BRC and spending 8 hours a year on maintenance or letter-writing. but please at least don't **** up all the hard work that those dedicated individuals are putting in. they are putting it in for YOU, and for YOUR CHILDREN, so you can continue to ride. when you act like a jerk, even to someone who richly deserves it (and it sounds like the mtn biker in the original post richly deserved it), you are working to close down more land to riding. knock it off.

btw, if you live in america, and you're not a member of the Blue Ribbon Coalition, please join now, or get ready to stop riding. www.sharetrails.org. you can join online.

-mark

• Matty05

Posted December 11, 2005 - 06:33 PM

Are you still here?

If everyone roosts horse riders, they won't ride there anymore.
Same goes for mountain bikers and hikers.

First you dorks said it was a noise issue............ People hate dirtbikes so get over it.

If they close the land, just ride there anyway. They can't catch you if you are on a bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OnTheRocksCJ

Posted December 11, 2005 - 08:13 PM

How bizarre, I get KCRA too and was thinking of the same two commercials when I read your thread....... :applause:

• 5valve

Posted December 12, 2005 - 11:15 AM

my expiriences:

what is wilderness preserving? preserving of wildlife? - backpackers also scare animals, but than again, animals are adoptable and get used to noise in time, if it doesnt prove harmful
never saw a biker chasing a deer for supper; they scare them though, but they live

is wilderness preserving connected to preserving ground, paths, trees?
ground destroying, or erosion? is this vehicle invented and is earth a static planet?
dont think so, rainfall, wind, plants, material ageing and a good abrasion proof rubber compound do the task nicely. I like changing my planet, so does nature

paths? are man made, if you like it wild, get off it. i like getting off it

trees felling? wouldnt wanna hit one, especially at high pass, sometimess end up in a bush, and hope it isnt thorned..nature has its ways of saying NO PASS

is wilderness preserving actually preserving future area for more and more expanding houses for people that leave cities, with a box full of money and no idea to spend it except in socializing with a bunch of similars playing cards, drinking and eating for pleasure and sticking nose in others business due to their uninvolvment in body strengthening activities (lets skip fitness appliancies for making your body look nice for no obvious reason except showing off)

people, where I live, and thats europe, the use of vehicles of any type, even bycicles is prohibited in every square inch of the land (byciclers get off easier)
no enduro race can be organized, mx tracks are being closed down because of many causes, like a new shopping center, drinking water issues (natural undreground reservoars), weekend house users, new motorway ground needed...

we are a 100% outlaws and everyone has a right to pick at us (farmer, MTBiker, hiker), but some take this right so serious, that they yell at you at normal, registered for car use macadam roads, had even an issue wit a jogger whom I passed wery slowly (cold engine) on a tarmac road. (ended in a stomach kick and him runnig away, but he was so intimidated, that he was actually forcing me to hit him, so he could hit me back...when I pleased him, I also said I was sorry, but he was just in his pathetic state saying: you'll see, you'll see, and I saw it, yet another nice day to ride my bike)

Well, we still arent loosing hope, since we are in a very low position, so we turn to people mostly very kind, saying hello, even stopping and sometimes they even show an interest in a bike, when they realize a nice guy is riding it.

Other approach to people, who already show they will burst in anger is to kill them with hello's and hand raising, so they only pass blindmouthed or murmur a minimal "hi"

funny issue once...experience explained above, guy way angry, than killed with kindness, he couldnt be inpolite, so he started erosion sh****ing, but when he passed, he said..you guys are good, where you are dragging those bikes

another event happened to my friend, he was battling one sick uphill, took a start from the road, a car was there, some state employed enviromentalists, saying you cant ride here and all. Friend asked them, who they were, they replied, and he replied, you have no authoritiy to stop me, but in a very polite manner.
officials took some photos and that was it.
It wasnt few months, other friend, working in state department, also enduro rider unknowingly got into conversation with this guys..they told him of their encounter and signifficantly excelling the politeness of the biker and being quite impressed to see a real biker in all that gear in his natural environment

final approach to a 100% angry bursting person with no option to get along with politeness and conversation: he must be very troubled, ill mannered and with some huge personal problems or complexes or a very big nature lover (oh, is that a match?:applause: ), who believes what they say on TV, always uses the same path to go home and never drinks the other brand milk
well, we must know, that if person is brought in poor conditions, it is a poor person (mentally), so its not their fault for their reactions and its not your job to persuade him of good and bad, but defending your interests in as good name as possible, trying to communicate, communicate againg and if no go, at least say hello...hello..?? godbye and hope you have manners in the real world..or just hit the guy, who attacks you phisically or verbally.

well, the best cure is to use the areas, where no people are to be seen, and that is what we mostly do!

thanks for reading, and now go on riding

• fallguy

Posted December 12, 2005 - 02:31 PM

it just seems like a real comment on the state of things these days. common courtesy is, if not dead it's on vacation at best. if you hold a door open for 100 people at the market, probably 25-40 will say thank you. the rest just walk by without making eye contact or saying anything. :applause: whatever an individual is into is the only thing worth doing and ever other option is unacceptable. :ride: we're all are out there for the same thing, to have fun, be outdoors and get some form of exercise. kids, lets all play nice in the sandbox or they're going to cancel recess. :p

• velosapiens

Posted December 12, 2005 - 02:33 PM

we're all are out there for the same thing, to have fun, be outdoors and get some form of exercise. kids, lets all play nice in the sandbox or they're going to cancel recess. :applause:

werd. i'm glad you live in nevada.

• fallguy

Posted December 12, 2005 - 02:40 PM

werd. i'm glad you live in nevada.

what i'm saying is we all want the same thing and we can get along or we can fight amongst ourselves and lose it all. :applause:

• velosapiens

Posted December 12, 2005 - 02:44 PM

what i'm saying is we all want the same thing and we can get along or we can fight amongst ourselves and lose it all. :applause:

which is exactly what the sierra club and other extremist kooks would like. they'll even make overtures to mtn bike groups to try to get extra pressure to restrict or ban motors, then they'll turn around and stab the mtn bikers in the back. alot of mtn bikers are aware of this, but some are not.

• EM_rider

Posted December 12, 2005 - 02:53 PM

Geez, this thing has veered way off course.

Can the guy who started this thread clarify one thing.......was the trail clearly designated for multiple use? Dirtbikes, MTB, hikers, etc.........

Most of the conflicts I've experienced were due to uncertainty about the status of the trail. When this is clear, there are never any issues. Where unclear, you can have problems.

R

• velosapiens

Posted December 12, 2005 - 03:42 PM

Geez, this thing has veered way off course.

Can the guy who started this thread clarify one thing.......was the trail clearly designated for multiple use? Dirtbikes, MTB, hikers, etc.........

Most of the conflicts I've experienced were due to uncertainty about the status of the trail. When this is clear, there are never any issues. Where unclear, you can have problems.

even when clearly designated, it's not unusual to have people cranky about it. i'm still nice to them and just correct them. so far it's only happened to me with hikers (twice).

• moach1

Posted December 12, 2005 - 04:52 PM

should have shot him a nice roost

• bluebike1999

Posted December 13, 2005 - 01:46 AM

anything p!ss you off this week clarke?
feel free to share it with us

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.