Mountainbikers...Grrrr!

138 replies to this topic
  • Nodrog

Posted December 08, 2005 - 12:53 AM

Me and my mates had a similar situation here in south Africa about 3 months back - Mountain bikers riding side x side on a dual foot path - They can hear you coming , but no chance in hell will they move over to let you past - needless to say a bit of roosting was in order to sort the problem out - Unfortunately we have the same problem with 80% of the quad riders as well - Slow moving and refuse to give way when you're behind them .

• Matty05

Posted December 08, 2005 - 02:19 AM

Bike riders are wankers here too!They just ride out to my work (alumina refinery).
The wankers get shitty when everyone blows by doing the 100km/h speed limit. I have been confronted in the car park many a time, I just tell them if they actually do some work they won't need to ride to work for excercise. I also tell them that they have a death wish and if they are going to ride, at least do the speed limit.

• velosapiens

Posted December 08, 2005 - 08:49 AM

Bike riders are wankers here too!They just ride out to my work (alumina refinery).
The wankers get shitty when everyone blows by doing the 100km/h speed limit. I have been confronted in the car park many a time, I just tell them if they actually do some work they won't need to ride to work for excercise. I also tell them that they have a death wish and if they are going to ride, at least do the speed limit.

man, you're kind of a jerk. with responses like i'm seeing in this thread, it's no wonder we're losing trails right and left. i'd be willing to bet that most of the confrontational types aren't real involved in land access issues either. what a surprise. :applause:

• bmeador

Posted December 08, 2005 - 09:12 AM

I wish we just had to deal with a few whiny :applause: ss mtn bikers! We have a few riding area's we have to share with boaters(who like to string ropes neck high) :p , Hikers(that own the trail) :lol: , horses(that scare me to death, I'm not sure how a arai helmet would hold up to mister Ed kick-in me in the head) :ride: , Mtn bikers(spandex and all) :p and the best of all u might be a redneck if................( u are ridding backwards on the trail with three up, cooler strapped, cut-offs on and a milwakee's best for safety equipment) :p ! God sometimes its hard to remember how fun it is when u have to deal with that on a single ride!!!! i guess that's what we get for being that close to Arkansas!!! :p

• tony1970

Posted December 08, 2005 - 09:47 AM

man, you're kind of a jerk. with responses like i'm seeing in this thread, it's no wonder we're losing trails right and left. i'd be willing to bet that most of the confrontational types aren't real involved in land access issues either. what a surprise. :applause:

Then what is the harm in telling them off? Your confrontational attitude is hurting my FEEEELINGS. :ride: :p

• MotoGoalie

Posted December 08, 2005 - 09:57 AM

I just like the fact that the word Wankers have been used in this thread. :applause:

• NorCal

Posted December 08, 2005 - 10:06 AM

Taken from Dictionary.com-
Wanker:
1. A person who masturbates.
2. A detestable person.

What kind of "Wankers" are we talking about?

• Matty05

Posted December 08, 2005 - 01:33 PM

man, you're kind of a jerk. with responses like i'm seeing in this thread, it's no wonder we're losing trails right and left. i'd be willing to bet that most of the confrontational types aren't real involved in land access issues either. what a surprise. :p

It has got nothing to do with loosing trails and land access or what ever you are thinking. This is an issue in town, on a public road, driving my CAR to work.

I drive my car to work, and these wankers ride their mountain bikes to work.
They say that all cars blow them off the road. It is a highway for god sake.
Do the speed limit or get off the :ride: road.

Maybe you should give up riding your mountain bike? :applause:

• velosapiens

Posted December 08, 2005 - 01:37 PM

I drive my car to work, and these wankers ride their mountain bikes to work.
They say that all cars blow them off the road. It is a highway for god sake.
Do the speed limit or get off the :applause: road.

too bad the law is on their side.

i ride my road bike to work anyway. if there's a shoulder, i ride there. if there's no shoulder, i ride on the right side of the traffic lane and you are legally and morally required to give me room and to pass safely. if you don't do that, then you should expect confrontations in the parking lot. that's people's lives you're talking about there.

the kind of people who think the roads belong to only 1 type of vehicle are the same ones that think they own the trails, and they create problems for everyone.

• TARFELE

Posted December 08, 2005 - 02:06 PM

i ride my road bike to work anyway. if there's a shoulder, i ride there. if there's no shoulder, i ride on the right side of the traffic lane and you are legally and morally required to give me room and to pass safely. if you don't do that, then you should expect confrontations in the parking lot. that's people's lives you're talking about there.

the kind of people who think the roads belong to only 1 type of vehicle are the same ones that think they own the trails, and they create problems for everyone.

You sure do contradict yourself Squidman! First you tell us to be nice and sweet and say we are sorry but then you say it is someones right to have a confrontation. It sounds to me like you might be an attorney. It seems that you will argue either way just to argue.

Go ride your bike, plant a shrub and paint your fingernails pink nobody wants to argue with you!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted December 08, 2005 - 02:44 PM

If there is a car or truck coming the other way, who am I going to give way to? Let me see, who would I rather hit in my car?
You have a death wish my friend if you want to do 20 on a pushbike on a highway where the speed limit 100. Laws aren't going to help you if you are dead.

Usually the arrogant pushbike riders, huh!

• velosapiens

Posted December 08, 2005 - 02:48 PM

Usually the arrogant pushbike riders, huh!

you can't even adhere to common courtesy AND the law on a paved highway, and then you wonder about confrontational people on trails. i wonder how dirtbikers got the reputation of being selfish dickheads.

what if some hiker said 'the law won't help you if you're dead cuz i pushed you off a cliffside trail' ?

• velosapiens

Posted December 08, 2005 - 02:51 PM

You sure do contradict yourself Squidman! First you tell us to be nice and sweet and say we are sorry but then you say it is someones right to have a confrontation.

sorry, i think a confrontation is in order when you think it's ok to act stupid enough to risk someone else's life. i think that is a long ways removed from someone calling names on the trail.

maybe the bicycle/automobile issue is a hot button for me. i've been commuting by bicycle for 30 years, and i've been fortunate enough to deal almost exclusively with competent and courteous drivers in texas, norcal, nevada, and southern germany. sounds like the drivers in australia may be more of the madmax variety.

• Matty05

Posted December 08, 2005 - 03:30 PM

you can't even adhere to common courtesy AND the law on a paved highway, and then you wonder about confrontational people on trails. i wonder how dirtbikers got the reputation of being selfish dickheads.

common courtesy??? Do the speed limit or get off the road. Have some common courtesy and leave your bike at home. I don't care what anyone says, the highway is no place for a bike.

As for your laws, I don't know what the laws there are but you can be fined for going too slow. It usually gets accompanied with recless use of a vechile, driving with out due care, etc..... I laughed at a friend who got fined for riding his pushbike.

what if some hiker said 'the law won't help you if you're dead cuz i pushed you off a cliffside trail' ?

A swift blow to the head with my bashplate or some 450 roost should shut him up!

Where I live (somewhere close to kakadu in the northern territory), I don't see anyone else but the group i'm with when I ride.

It is all dirt tracks everywhere here, We have a problem with cars too. Cars slow down for other cars going the other direction when coming up to pass, but not for dirtbikes. So much dust. If they don't slow down and spray me with rocks, a quick fishy in the loose stuff gets my own back.

Don't even get me started on getting cut off in traffic by cars on my dirt bike.

Being a selfish dirtbike rider, there is always two sides to the story.........

My point is, I deal with it. I don't ride my dirtbike around town. I don't put my self in danger. I know I would come off second best if I took on a car. It looks like you don't value your life or are too stupid to realize this.

• velosapiens

Posted December 08, 2005 - 03:39 PM

My point is, I deal with it. I don't ride my dirtbike around town. I don't put my self in danger. I know I would come off second best if I took on a car. It looks like you don't value your life or are too stupid to realize this.

either i'm a better rider than you, or americans are better drivers than aussies. i've got 100,000 miles on streetbikes and god only knows how many thousands on 'pushbikes'. only ever had to deal with one ****ed up ******* car driver, and it still wasn't a close call. just an incompetent selfish moron.

the highway is no place for a bike.

yep, and trails are no place for a motorcycle. :applause:

• RichBaker

Posted December 08, 2005 - 03:51 PM

common courtesy??? Do the speed limit or get off the road. Have some common courtesy and leave your bike at home. I don't care what anyone says, the highway is no place for a bike.

In case you didn't know(most likely, being Aussie...) the 1st paved roads in the US were built for bicyclists...
I do tend to agree with you re: the arrogance of road bicyclists. They tend to get way too pushy and take up more room on our roads than the law gives them. And they tend to ignore the laws so most drivers get pretty fed up with them. And they tend to act pretty stupidly on the road, as well...some roads just aren't wide enough for 2 bicycles abreast and cars. It does cause an occasional "moment".
I usually give them plenty of room, but sometimes it's just not feasible...which is why I don't ride mine to work, the roads I have to take just don't allow it if I want to survive! I'm not stupid enough to put myself, and others, at risk...

• velosapiens

Posted December 08, 2005 - 03:56 PM

I do tend to agree with you re: the arrogance of road bicyclists. They tend to get way too pushy and take up more room on our roads than the law gives them. And they tend to ignore the laws so most drivers get pretty fed up with them. And they tend to act pretty stupidly on the road, as well...some roads just aren't wide enough for 2 bicycles abreast and cars. It does cause an occasional "moment".

no question there are stupid bicyclists out there that are just looking for trouble. riding 2 abreast in most situations qualifies as being pretty dumb. imho, and also in my experience, those guys are in the minority, just like the jackass dirtbikers are in the minority, so i would hesitate to make generalizations. if you know how to ride a bike, the streets are pretty darned safe tho.

even the arrogant and stupid bicyclists will be laughing when we run out of gasoline tho, or when it goes to $10/gallon. i work in an office with alot of fat and lazy people, and they were still starting to ride bicycles to work in the summer when gas was over $3/gallon (american dollars btw, not those counterfeit worthless downunder ones :applause:).

• Matty05

Posted December 08, 2005 - 03:58 PM

sorry, i think a confrontation is in order when you think it's ok to act stupid enough to risk someone else's life.

Have a look at your self. You are risking your own life. Why put someone else in a position where they could take your life? It would tear most people to pieces.

don't go preaching pushbikes on a dirtbike forum.

• velosapiens

Posted December 08, 2005 - 04:02 PM

Have a look at your self. You are risking your own life. Why put someone else in a position where they could take your life? It would tear most people to pieces.

don't go preaching pushbikes on a dirtbike forum.

bicycling is as safe as driving. maybe you should stop driving.

bicycles rule. everyone should ride a bike. it'll make you a better dirtbiker for sure. :applause:

pretty much all the top mx-ers ride bicycles. many of them are avid roadies.

• Matty05

Posted December 08, 2005 - 04:06 PM

yeah I know. I got a bike too. I just don't ride on the highway.
I think you call them freeways over there.

I have had a few "moment's" with pushbikes.
I know of a few silly riders that have been killed too.
Cars never come off second best.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.