Mountainbikers...Grrrr!

138 replies to this topic
  • ncmountainman

Posted December 07, 2005 - 01:49 PM

i've never spoken to them but every now and then(3 times that i can recall) i get behind one on a tight trail and they won't move! are they thinkin' ? that they're fast enough to run with a yz 450? i try to be polite and ride just revving it up a little behind them ,but it always ends up with me having to pass them in a fit of rage,dumping the clutch in 2nd gear with my 120's spitting whatever terrain it happens to be into their smug little faces,while my 102 db exhaust rears them into a deafened state that they could have avoided just by getting the heck outa the way!!!! :applause:

• clark4131

Posted December 07, 2005 - 02:04 PM

Was this at Peavine?

Yep, on the southeast side overlooking Lemmon/Panther valley. There's all sorts of singletrack there in the cheatgrass that gets burned off every few years...SC

• velosapiens

Posted December 07, 2005 - 02:12 PM

Yep, on the southeast side overlooking Lemmon/Panther valley. There's all sorts of singletrack there in the cheatgrass that gets burned off every few years...SC

is that like down low towards the ballfields there off mccarran? or am i thinking of somewhere else? if that's the area, i've only pedaled that. i usually moto'd from west 4th street up to the top (you see mtn bikes on that downhill, but i never saw anyone on the forest singletracks up high), or i'd ride through the highlands all the way from truckee.

mw

• clark4131

Posted December 07, 2005 - 02:25 PM

is that like down low towards the ballfields there off mccarran?

About a mile up from there, near the northern part of Keystone Canyon where it opens up into the flats. I was looking down on that part of the area when the "incident" occurred...Boy, did I stir up some controversy or what? :applause: ...SC

• velosapiens

Posted December 07, 2005 - 02:50 PM

Boy, did I stir up some controversy or what? :ride: ...SC

haha, well, there are alot of californians moving to right around peavine especially, but imho mtn bikers should be natural allies of dirtbikers. the best dirtbike trails are also some of the best mtb trails, and the same people hate both groups and want to kick them off public land. the weenies will be alot more successful if they can get us fighting amongst ourselves. alot of equestrians are starting to realize this, and so some of them are getting involved with brc and local access groups.

being a mtn biker for many years, and also being president of a multiple-use trails non-profit, i probably tend to see trail run-ins as an opportunity to educate people and also educate myself about their concerns. we'd all be better off if more of us took that attitude, no matter how annoying it is.

i must be a really super nice guy tho, cuz almost everyone i meet on the trails is super-nice to me :applause: , and pretty much everyone is at least civil.

mw

• Heavy_G

Posted December 07, 2005 - 02:58 PM

Save The Dirt

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 07, 2005 - 04:06 PM

i've never spoken to them but every now and then(3 times that i can recall) i get behind one on a tight trail and they won't move! are they thinkin' ? that they're fast enough to run with a yz 450? i try to be polite and ride just revving it up a little behind them ,but it always ends up with me having to pass them in a fit of rage,dumping the clutch in 2nd gear with my 120's spitting whatever terrain it happens to be into their smug little faces,while my 102 db exhaust rears them into a deafened state that they could have avoided just by getting the heck outa the way!!!! :ride:

Yeah, happened to me here in WA state on the Mad River trail but the guy was fast on the down hill I could just barely keep up with him it was pretty impressive but my awe wore off real quick went he would'nt move over when we got to the flats. I was patient, then I gave him a little rev, another rev, 30 seconds later another rev with a "move over please" yell, 30 seconds later it turned into my favorite type of racing - Bump to Pass - we were only a mile from the staging area. He pedalled up as I was un dressing, got in my face but all I could do was laugh.......... when I bumped him he was last seen careening into a thicket of nettles, (a broad leaf plant that administers an irritating itch, nothing more though), again all I could do was laugh and explain my actions........... He asked if I thought I owned the trail, I told him right then and there when I bumped him that I did :applause:

• dman450f

Posted December 07, 2005 - 04:08 PM

The funny part is that mountain bikes do almost as much damage to mother earth as our dirt bikes...I understand your frustration clark...some people just need their A$$ BEAT!!

• vantolr

Posted December 07, 2005 - 04:24 PM

I ride both, mtn. bike and cycle. While I understand both perspectives, I think I would have approached that situation differently. Moreover, I'm not a tree-huggin' sort of fellow, but I do respect the open land, property enjoying rights of the public. Having said that, I think we all need to be a little more careful and respect others as much as possible. Even if they do deserve a five-knuckle sandwich. Chances are, if you piss off that tree-hugger, he'll raise a fuss with a local legislator, mayor, useless politician, etc. That will just end up ruining the usage of that fine single track for everyone. We don't want that!

In other words, we need to play nice. Even if the other kids on the playground are complete @ssholes!

• tony1970

Posted December 07, 2005 - 04:33 PM

We have a lot of Kalifornians who've moved to this side of the state who complain about everything. There's a group of them now who moved next door to a local municipal airport that want to have it shut down because it's too noisy . Did they buy their houses sight unseen or what?...SC

I feel sorry or you. These are the kind of people I deal with on a daily basis. The only reason I have not moved out of this state is because my family has been in the area I live in for over a 120 years, and to hell with them pushing me out. I PUSH BACK! I hope Nevada does not become another California but every time I visit to do some shooting in the desert there are more homes being built. In fact the last time I was there someone called the Reno cops that we were making too much noise and we were in a congested area. We were in the desert for crying out loud! You handled the situation perfectly. You were nice to begin with and once he tried to tromp on you, you bit back. :applause: :p A person like that expects others to ignore his left wing rude rantings because that is the politically correct thing to not be confrontational. But, once you get in a jerks face like that they cower like little bitches. The fact that he was riding a mountain bike makes no difference these clowns are everywhere. :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dman450f

Posted December 07, 2005 - 04:42 PM

I feel sorry or you. These are the kind of people I deal with on a daily basis. The only reason I have not moved out of this state is because my family has been in the area I live in for over a 120 years, and to hell with them pushing me out. I PUSH BACK! I hope Nevada does not become another California but every time I visit to do some shooting in the desert there are more homes being built. In fact the last time I was there someone called the Reno cops that we were making too much noise and we were in a congested area. We were in the desert for crying out loud! You handled the situation perfectly. You were nice to begin with and once he tried to tromp on you, you bit back. :applause: :p A person like that expects others to ignore his left wing rude rantings because that is the politically correct thing to not be confrontational. But, once you get in a jerks face like that they cower like little bitches. The fact that he was riding a mountain bike makes no difference these clowns are everywhere. :ride:

:p

• Punisher660

Posted December 07, 2005 - 04:42 PM

I ride both, mtn. bike and cycle. While I understand both perspectives, I think I would have approached that situation differently. Moreover, I'm not a tree-huggin' sort of fellow, but I do respect the open land, property enjoying rights of the public. Having said that, I think we all need to be a little more careful and respect others as much as possible. Even if they do deserve a five-knuckle sandwich. Chances are, if you piss off that tree-hugger, he'll raise a fuss with a local legislator, mayor, useless politician, etc. That will just end up ruining the usage of that fine single track for everyone. We don't want that!

In other words, we need to play nice. Even if the other kids on the playground are complete @ssholes!

While I completely agree with you about playing nice. There has to be a line drawn somewhere. They can take their grievances to the ranger about motorcycles and have it closed to motor vehicle access, but what can we do? - just take it .......and pay the taxes on our bikes to keep the trail open for @holes. They need to start paying their own taxes and have their own trails. Keep them segragated - motor only trails, and bike/hike only. As for the horses - kill 'em all and turn them into ALPO or stick them on the non motorized trail.

Maybe more of us should vote....see if that works.

• tony1970

Posted December 07, 2005 - 04:59 PM

While I completely agree with you about playing nice. There has to be a line drawn somewhere. They can take their grievances to the ranger about motorcycles and have it closed to motor vehicle access, but what can we do? - just take it .......and pay the taxes on our bikes to keep the trail open for @holes. They need to start paying their own taxes and have their own trails. Keep them segragated - motor only trails, and bike/hike only. As for the horses - kill 'em all and turn them into ALPO or stick them on the non motorized trail.

Maybe more of us should vote....see if that works.

YES!!!! My gas tax and bike registration pays for trail maintenance and areas to be opened. I have no problem with bikers and horse riders using the trails, but don't bitch at me for being on the trails I fund. We are having a problem here with road bikers using the backcountry roads, and once or twice a year one of them get squished by a car. They expect the local county's to install bike lanes! Where are they going to get the money, they only pay sales tax on the bike and after that no money goes into the system regularly. We have signs all over the roads that have a picture of a bike and below it reads "Share the Roads". Well here is one for you, "Share the Tax Burden"! :applause:

• googoo

Posted December 07, 2005 - 05:10 PM

i would gave him a good roost. a couple rocks in the mouth would help teach him to bite his tongue.

• dbailey223

Posted December 07, 2005 - 05:10 PM

A few times riding in Capital Forest in Washington we encountered Moutain Bikers with attitude. They were in their spandex suits, I had my boots, helmet, BDU pants, and 9 mm. I wasn't about to pull the 9 for words, but it left me thinking--20 miles into the forest, no one around, I wouldn't be looking to start something with anybody whether I was right or wrong. That crazy guy may have a knife or gun. In this case, I was packing and I know he wasn't--his spandex let me know that.

• TARFELE

Posted December 07, 2005 - 07:46 PM

I think that I am going to vomit! I cannot believe that anyone in here would tell you to be nice. You were freaking nice. he was the ******* and he should have had his ass beat like the prick that he was.

California is and incredible state but I could not live there because of the damn liberal mentality. I pray to God that Nevada does not go with that mentality. If it does it will soon migrate to Texas. If that happens I will move to Mexico and ride Copper Canyon every day.

By the way what the Hell is a mountainbike?

• WRDad

Posted December 07, 2005 - 08:13 PM

I'm gonna get on a soap box here:

A person who loses his temper and over reacts to some yelling from a total jerk-off is still an ******* in my book. I wasn't there, I don't know what happened, but I don't see how someone yelling at you should have provoked you to be physically confrontational. You could have just as easily said, "have a nice day I hope you don't treat other courteous trail users with the same animosity that you've shown me"...and been on your way.

Call me a pacifist, but words are not going to provoke me into an act that portrays me as being a hot head. This is how stereotypes start. I'm sure that MTB rider is on some equivalent forum talking about how some ******* MC rider threatened to beat him up him for wanting to protect the environment! (yeah right) I bet that MTB rider will be more of a prick to the next MC rider he comes across. Maybe he'll even get his "green" friends to make some booby traps or block some trails in the name of their BS cause. And that is really not good.

I've been on almost all sides of this, I've been yelled at by hikers, I've been yelled at by equestrians, both on my MC and on my MTB. And I've been roosted on while hiking by an MC riding moron that yelled at me for slowing him down! I always just listen to the BS and then tell them it's a multi-use trail and if we all act responsibly and safely we should all be able to respect eachother and get along. (you better be sure you know the trail you are on is open for your use type if you take this approach, because you will look dumb regardless if you are on a closed trail) My experience is that when I have said this the person yelling opens up and admits to taking out on me what some other a-hole on a ride like mine should have gotten. It was payback for something I didn't do, but somebody else on a MC, or MTB, or in hiking boots had been a jackass to them and they were pissed about it. That's why I say don't let anger and stupidity escalate; defuse it, be the better person. We must share the trails or the trails will be lost.

Protect your privilege to use the trail by being an ambassador to your sport, no matter what you are riding. I strive to always be seen in a positive light when on the trails. I'm sure there will always be other trail users that will have a hard-on for me just for being on a MC, MTB or whatever. But hey, the world isn't perfect, let that be their problem...words are harmless. First, I'm gonna kill'em with kindness unless they come swingin' for me. And in that case, well, then it's on! :applause:

Well put!

• new2blu

Posted December 07, 2005 - 08:31 PM

There's a group of them now who moved next door to a local municipal airport that want to have it shut down because it's too noisy . Did they buy their houses sight unseen or what?...SC[/QUOTE]

What idiots! I sometimes wonder about people--just how stupid they can be!!

I also wonder what would happen if assalt wasn't illegal---would the tree huggers still be this rude to others?? Knowing that they could get there butt kicked may change their attitude.

• WR4BLUE6

Posted December 07, 2005 - 09:04 PM

It's funny but I can remember feeling irritated with all forms of trail traffic at one time or another. I've been hiking and have been pissed off at mtn. bikers who whizzed by me and took me by complete surprise. I've also been mtn. biking and been irritated by hikers who wouldn't walk single file down the trail so that I may pass by them on one side or the other. I've also been on my dirtbike and have come across mtn. bikers who wouldn't let me pass on a steep up hill section that would take me 5 seconds to get up, but took them about 10 minutes to make the climb. I've even been on jeep trails and been irritated with jeeps and other 4wd's for one reason or another. And then I've been in a Jeep on a four wheel drive trip and pissed off at dirtbikes and guys on quads. I could go on and on...it's like talking about drivers on the freeway...I've been cut off and I've cut people off! :applause:

Bottomline_____, I can relate to just about everyone, but, and it's a big but, I don't take these things personal UNLESS someone makes it personal. Someone calls me a AHOLE, C***Sucker, F'n AHole, or any other harsh verbal attacks and I'm going to want to fight (that is provided I feel i can take him) or atleast suggest we fight. Here's my reasoning, I don't open my mouth unless I'm ready to back it up. So despite all my aforementioned issues with drivers, hikers, mtn. bikers, etc. I still never say anything to them directly. Now if this silence somehow is interpreted as weakness by the other party, they may feel compelled to OPEN THE HOLE UNDER THEIR NOSE and take a shot. I have no problem helping to close the hole if need be. Sometimes an ASS KICKING is necessary and warranted. Heck, having my ass kicked has taught me some very valuable life lessons about when and if I should open my mouth.

• paulzarr

Posted December 08, 2005 - 12:42 AM

"Can we get along here? Can we all get along?"

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.