Any of you other guys drooling over the Honda CR450R?

26 replies to this topic
  • gtms34

Posted September 05, 2001 - 06:38 AM

For a bike that is not supposed to be available 'till october, there sure were a bunch at Saddleback last week. About 15 in various stages of modification.

• littlerm

Posted September 05, 2001 - 12:37 PM

Were these bikes at Saddleback being ridden by magazine editors or by "real" people? You are the second person I have heard that saw these bikes at Saddleback. I am the first one on the list at my local shop and haven't heard anything about an early release. Anxiously awaiting a reply...

Roger Little
'99 WR400

• MX_Tuner

Posted September 05, 2001 - 12:48 PM

Last night I heard (from a semi-reliable source) Kawasaki will have a KX 450 for 2003.

Things could be getting very interesting fairly soon.

------------------
MX Tuner

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted September 05, 2001 - 01:47 PM

The more (competitive 4 strokes available) the merrier! The bikes can only get better, lighter, etc.

This includes Cannondale. Their bikes CAN'T get any worse...can they?

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted September 05, 2001 - 02:28 PM

Kevvie - I'm not drooling over any of the new bikes. I'm still trying to figure out how to ride the one I have. My '99 WR replaced a '90 KX500 - do you really think I'm looking at new bikes?

Brian

• GPS Dual Sport

Posted September 05, 2001 - 03:05 PM

The word from an old friend at Honda R&D is the "WR" version of the CR450F will not happen any time soon. The marketing wizards are afraid of hurting XR sales.
Honda has always built race bikes, CR's and trail bikes, XR's. They never made racing trail bikes. The closest Honda ever came was offering a wide ratio gear set for the CR250 several years ago that cost way too much money. Any of you other old timers remember?

zaknavage
GPS geek and old guy

• MotoGreg

Posted September 05, 2001 - 04:00 PM

For a bike that is not supposed to be available 'till october, there sure were a bunch at Saddleback last week. About 15 in various stages of modification.

According to Honda there are only 10 magazine bikes in the country outside of their hands. When I was packing up Monday I saw Don Maeda (Transworld MX) driving in with one in the back of his truck. I guess Dirt Rider's bike spent a week at Pro Circuit where they made 15 different exhausts trying to find something good. I heard that on media day last Thursday Doug Dubach (Yamaha's YZF development guy) got his first chance to try out a CRF... wonder what he thought about it? I'm sure he's been riding the next generation YZF for a while now.

------------------
'92 GSXR 7/11 - 4 sale, click link
'99 YZ400F - New pics!
'02 Honda CR450F

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.