Any of you other guys drooling over the Honda CR450R?

26 replies to this topic
  • MN_Kevin

Posted August 30, 2001 - 01:45 PM

Just saw Honda's CR450R brochure in Oct MXA. Man, that thing looks bad. Wonder if Honda has gotten the suspension to work right?
I almost anticipate buying a 2003 model...dependent upon the performance.

------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

• Bill

Posted August 30, 2001 - 02:26 PM

I know what a Honda guy you are Kev. If Honda would have had the F when I bought my bike. I'm sure I would have one. But I can't see selling my bike now, the Honda can't be that much better for the loss in dollars it would take to sell mine and buy it.

Looks pretty dang sweet though :)

Bill

------------------
99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• MN_Kevin

Posted August 30, 2001 - 03:49 PM

Just think though Bill, a perfectly carburated engine! It HAS TO BE lighter than a YZF! Honda is claiming 12# > than the 02 CR250!

Wonder if it's true?

Plus it looks SO BAD!!!

• Rick_Graham

Posted August 30, 2001 - 04:50 PM

Kevin,
One thing I noticed on the cr450f at washougal was just how far the engine cases stick out beyond the frame. Honda has some pretty cheesy sheet metal gaurds that bolt to the frame but are never going to offer any real protection for a woods rider. Aftermarket skidplates are going to be the first mod done to the cr450f.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 30, 2001 - 05:00 PM

Oh yeah, I'm drooling over the CR450. My WR is running like a sewing machine these days and I'm pretty happy with it, but...

I think I'll wait a few years until they work out the weaknesses and come out with an off-road version before I think about getting one.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 30, 2001 - 06:30 PM

Wait until 2003! Let Honda work out the 1st yr. bike blahs. Then see what Yamaha has.............my 2 cents.

• Tim_Heslip

Posted August 30, 2001 - 06:42 PM

I know that I would have bought the honda if it was available the same time as the Yamaha. Both of my friends had new CR250's and thought I was crazy buying a thumper let alone a Yamaha. The tables turned after a few rides on my bike. One guy just sold his CR last year to get a 2000 YZF. Every time I think about getting a new bike I just do another mod to the 98 WR. First was the baffle and air box, then the timeing and jetting, now the gray wire next up is the BK mod. It is like getting a new bike every year. :) Speaking of which, can I do that mod to a carb on the '98WR? I thought I read a post that said something about only on the 99's and later. I guess I could get of my lazy butt and check the archives.

Tim

[This message has been edited by Tim Heslip (edited August 30, 2001).]

• MotoGreg

Posted August 30, 2001 - 08:25 PM

I've got my deposit in, just waiting now.

The bikes at the press intro weighed between 231 and 234 ready to ride. Don't know what the 3 pound difference was?

------------------
'92 GSXR 7/11 (For sale, click on link)
'99 YZ400F - Exciting new pics!
'02 Honda CR450F - Coming soon!!!

• PMAUST

Posted August 30, 2001 - 08:45 PM

To be honest Kevin, no! I will admit the following: 1) I'm not an MXer; 2) I'm not as competetive or as fast as you guys(way too freaken old); 3) thanks to you and Hick, and Ron, and Monty, and more than I can possibly name, I have a bike that is flat out bitchen! Yes it would be nice if my WR were a little lighter, and yes, it would be nice if it had an E-start and still be light. But, know this, I can at this stage in my life afford to buy anything I want! But, my WR400 is all I will ever need. It is without question the best bike I have ever owned and way faster than I will ever be able to ride it. But, having said all that, the Honda does look promising!!! :)

• John_H

Posted August 30, 2001 - 09:29 PM

NO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • *mike68*

Posted August 31, 2001 - 12:29 AM

no, I can't use all the power I got now.

Kev, they way your bike ran at bills you got nothing to loose. Got it fixed yet?

• forloop

Posted August 31, 2001 - 05:02 AM

I'm glad to see Honda finialy got a thumper out. I'm sure it's a nice bike. How much better, if any, than a YZF we will have to see.

I am a big Honda fan. But, the alumimun frame creatures have not been to my liking. My 95 CR250 was a great bike. I had a chance to ride a 01 CR250 and a 01 YZ250. The honda was a fast and light. The Yamaha was very user freindly. So, if I was buying a 250 it would be a Yamaha.

My 2 cents,

------------------
Rick
01 YZ426F #85 Vet C

• Jason_Williams

Posted August 31, 2001 - 09:35 PM

Tim, The Bk mod is only for 00 and 01 carbs. You'll have to do a p-38. It does the same thing but is not adjustable. I got this info off a previous post.

• Bill

Posted August 31, 2001 - 02:15 PM

Jason,

thanks for the info about the BK mod on 98-99's.

Mike68,

When you have money to burn, I guess you don't have to tune :D

Just kidding Kev :)

Bill

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 01, 2001 - 04:18 PM

Kev, I have to admit I Have always liked the CR250's. After owning a couple of them I can honestly say that the quality is top notch!! The CRF450F is sooo sexy but thank god that they dont have an offroad model available because I would have so serious thinking to do. The lighting coil and wide ratio tranny is soooo valuable to me. Im sure that in a couple of years they'll have one available but by then I think we'll see a 450 WR with an aluminum Yamaha, and god forbid an E-button...

• MN_Kevin

Posted September 02, 2001 - 03:18 AM

Dan,
You know the off-road version is coming. It has to be!

Mike, still have not located lost HP. I am seriously considering going back to WR timing and see what happens...

I am going on a dual sport ride here in NH w/ Ron S. out of East Lyme, CT (where all those nasty ass lyme ticks come from :)!) in Sept and the bike, at least, cannot foul any plugs.

• Wyatt

Posted September 02, 2001 - 06:29 AM

First, I want to say that I love my Yamaha and have owned more of them than any other brand, but I'm not Yamaha or die. Too much brand loyalty can lead to bad decisions when buying. Take an objective look and make your decision based on facts. Never buy hype.

Sure, those pictures due look good. But, you cant't ride a picture and pictures dont't break down. My point is that none of us know how good or bad this bike is. Unless you are a die hard Honda fan I don't think its a good idea to jump on a band wagon that hasn't been proven.

We all know that the aluminum frame Honda's are not the dominant bikes that Honda produced in the late 80's early 90's. Our Yamaha steeds are proven machines and have more power than most of us could ever use.

Unlike 2 stroke technology, 4 stroke technology is advancing like wildfire. I'm sure that there will several bikes within the next few years that we will all ooh and aahh about.

I think, in my meaningless opinion, that the wise thing to do, for now, is stick with the proven technology of Yamaha while we wait and see what the other factories produce. Maybe wait and see what Yamaha's answer to the new technology is, because we know that they are not asleep. Somewhere, someone is designing it right now!!

Sorry, I'll get off of my soapbox now.

• MN_Kevin

Posted September 02, 2001 - 06:05 PM

WyattI'll wait until the 2003 models before I jump to ANY decision.

Bugs like you said...!!!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 03, 2001 - 08:36 AM

Bugs.... Honda? I really dont think it'll happen. When The WR was introduced (98) I was sceptical about the bugs that might plauge a new model but guess what? My 98' WR ran PERFECT.. Probably better than my 01'. I never had ANY problems with that bike even after long and hard desert hours. My point is that I can bet that the Honda will too be spot on!! Kev, I heard a rumor that the offroad version is FAR away.. I know it's on the way though. C'mon Cannondale Wake up and smell the coffee!!!!!! (a guy can dream cant he?)

• andyxr

Posted September 05, 2001 - 06:01 AM

Mmm..whoever comes out with an electric start version first will be my candidate - Yamaha or Honda, I don't care! My friend has just bought a KTM 520 EXC - totally road legal (in England), kick start and electric start, high-quality parts from stock and it rides like a beauty. When oh when will the big four put electric boots on their 4 strokes? If KTM can do it and win world championships (Smets has an electric start bike now) then I'm sure Yam and Honda can. AND make them super light. By the way, a company in France sells an electric start kit for WR400Fs. VERY nice it is too.

Andy www.bajaoffroad.com

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.