426 good novice bike for big rider?

29 replies to this topic
  • theclone

Posted December 06, 2005 - 05:31 PM

I am 6', 195 lbs. I am looking to buy a used bike, and I'm contemplating a YZ426F. This will be my first bike, other than quads. I have ridden before. There are a lot of good deals on used 426's right now, and I would love to own one. Will this be too much bike for me? I think its is a much better choice than a 250 pinger, which is what I had in mind before the 426.
:applause: or :ride:

• xXHondaOwnsXx

Posted December 06, 2005 - 05:41 PM

:applause: I'm probably going to get one too, this 230 is way too small for me.

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 06, 2005 - 06:00 PM

They've got plenty of power but it's very connected to the throttle. Excellent beginner bike IMHO. Just be smart and don't go twisting when you shoudln't; you really pick up momentum quickly when on the gas.

• new2blu

Posted December 06, 2005 - 06:10 PM

If you will be track riding the YZ will be fine; but if you want to do trail riding the YZ will need some modifications(suspension,flywheel weight and maybe gearing changes. If you go the trail riding route I would suggest getting a WR.

• ktmr

Posted December 06, 2005 - 06:14 PM

:applause: Very good choice for you. It is much more predictable than a 250 pinger that is your other consideration. If I might offer a suggestion:try to get an '03 450F or newer. The automatic decompression and lighter feel of the bike is a desired improvement that you will thank me for in the long run. But, get what you can afford and have fun with it.

• theclone

Posted December 06, 2005 - 06:27 PM

:applause: Very good choice for you. It is much more predictable than a 250 pinger that is your other consideration. If I might offer a suggestion:try to get an '03 450F or newer. The automatic decompression and lighter feel of the bike is a desired improvement that you will thank me for in the long run. But, get what you can afford and have fun with it.

If I could get a newer motocrosser, I would. But 2002 is the newest I can go because of the green sticker law. I don't want to get a red sticker bike. I hate that law :ride:

• IHScoutII

Posted December 06, 2005 - 06:41 PM

I am 6', 195 lbs. I am looking to buy a used bike, and I'm contemplating a YZ426F. This will be my first bike, other than quads. I have ridden before. There are a lot of good deals on used 426's right now, and I would love to own one. Will this be too much bike for me? I think its is a much better choice than a 250 pinger, which is what I had in mind before the 426.
:applause: or :ride:

Its a great bike, but if you can help it, get a 2001 or 2002. A freind of mine had the 2000 and being a first year bike it had a few issues.

• l1pa

Posted December 07, 2005 - 08:14 AM

My son and I both ride, and are both on the North side of 200 lbs. We Have two bikes that we alternate on; a 2001 YZ426F and a YZ 250. Each has advantages and it's own special problems.

The 426 is one heck of a nice bike. Lots of torque anywhere I've ever needed it (we ride only trails) and has proven to be very reliable. the CG of the bike feels higher and you need to take care cornering that you don't wash out the front wheel and stay light on the gas. This bike takes some additional maintenance because of the more complicated top end, but so far (about a year) nothing major.

The 250 is a sweetheart of a bike, it's lighter, and feels it, it doesn't have that jerk when you hit the gas that scares the crap out of me sometimes. It's really all around easier to ride than the 426. Both bikes are fairly easy to start (once you read the threads here on how to do it) and fun to ride.

I'd have a hard time picking one over the other.

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2005 - 08:28 AM

Get the 426, do the '03 cam modification, and live it up. The 250F's are fun (I have one), but overall, there's nothing like the big, broad-shouldered power of a good sized thumper. The 426 is one of the best ever built. In the long run, they're more durable, too. :applause:

• Shawn_Mc

Posted December 07, 2005 - 12:53 PM

You could do a lot worse. The 426 is a solid bike. Its stable as hell and pretty durable. Decent bike for a beginner.

Get the suspension done for your riding application (mx, desert etc.) and wieght though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimFurryBalls

Posted December 07, 2005 - 01:54 PM

Good choice. You NEED to get an '03 or up cam, though. The '02's start-up routine (more like ritual- shake the chicken leg, chant a bit, spit some rum out. . . ) is not a fun experience for first time thumper riders.

• theclone

Posted December 07, 2005 - 02:02 PM

About how much $ will an 03 cam cost? And is it something I can do myself, or will I need to take it to the shop?

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2005 - 02:57 PM

The only part required, other than possibly a couple of valve shims, is the cam. You can pay retail ($170) for one, or sign up to buy OEM parts through the TT store and get it for over 30% off of that, or see if there's a used one around. The procedure is exactly like that of reshimming the exhaust valves, except the cam timing sets up differently from stock. It's very simple, and by far the best thing you'll ever do to the bike.

• kawirider

Posted December 07, 2005 - 03:23 PM

Go for it. Seeing as you have experiance with a clutch and have ridden off road before, you should be able to control the power. Plus, there is nothing like a big bore 4 stroke. Just make sure you keep in mind that these big 250 class thumpers have so much power that they are going to be so much fun that you will proabably forget how long you have been out riding. Make sure you get a watch so that you dont go over the time you have to ride. :applause:

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 07, 2005 - 05:01 PM

Don't let these guys scare you about the starting routine. The auto decompression cam would certainly be a nice addition but isn't 100% required. I've been staring mine the "old way" since 2001 and frankly it starts so easily that the $100 or so for the cam just hasn't been that tempting. :applause:

• SureBlue

Posted December 07, 2005 - 05:34 PM

Agree fully with you sir, it really is not a big deal once you learn the right way to do it.

• seagravedriver

Posted December 07, 2005 - 10:57 PM

I am 6-1, 215, 39 years old, and have never owned a bike before my 2000 426. Took a few rides, but now, I am to the point of enjoying it, as opposed to being scared of the thing. I like the power, and would feel funny if I had less. I don't like the Rube Goldburg starting, but other than that, just take it easy and work your way up. I still have a lot of learning to do, but I am fairly sure I will keep it, as the bike has a lot to offer. Good luck, Craig

• yogist

Posted December 08, 2005 - 05:07 PM

I have a cr 250 Ive been riding for 4 years, stepped up to an 01 426..
Love it , Mo power is a good thing... This thing is fast and pulls like a tractor..I made a good choice.. Im 46, 6'0 220 lbs. with gear... :applause:

• Shawn_Mc

Posted December 08, 2005 - 05:26 PM

Agree fully with you sir, it really is not a big deal once you learn the right way to do it.

Im still amazed at guys that think the 426's were hard to start. I could start mine in flip flops after I washed it. If it's hard to kick, you're doing it wrong. If you have to kick it hard, you're doing it wrong.

And when you get it down there's no real "start drill"..just flip out the kicker, push it down till it stops, flick the compression release and push the kicker about 3/4 of an inch, back to the top and kick it. When youve done it a little guys that are watching wont even notice what your doing...it'll look like your kicking a bike with an auto-decompressor :applause:

• yogist

Posted December 08, 2005 - 05:48 PM

Im a new owner of a 01 426 and starting it is just no big deal..
Very reliable ...I havent had it not start at all yet...After falls , hot,or cold..
Damn thing just starts all the time.. It has the manual decompression lever...
:applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.