2000 yz 426

12 replies to this topic
  • RF1

Posted December 06, 2005 - 01:32 PM

I am thinking about getting an 200 yz 426. How is that compared to the '98 yz 4oo far as the weight and ease of starting. I am getting tired of the hard start.

Also I always had good luck with you guys about getting tips on working on my 400, any body give me some advice on a '88 blaster, this

I have a 1988 Yamaha Blaster the problem is that it was popping under load so it was rebuilt.I turned the pilot screw as the book states 1 and half turns out. The problem is now that it is hard to start when it does get going the engine starts to race up very fast where I have to kill it. With a little adjustment on the pilt screw the engine ran ok but stalls and I have to wait a little before starting it up What should I try next?

• palmdaleRider

Posted December 06, 2005 - 01:49 PM

I've never ridden the 400, but my '00 426 starts first kick all the time, unless I do something dumb (dump the bike, forget the choke, etc.)

The '00 need the '01 clutch fix. About $100 and an hours effort.

• IHScoutII

Posted December 06, 2005 - 06:47 PM

A friend of mine had a 2000 426, usually it started first or second kick, but every once in a while it had fits. The 2001 and 2002 are supposed to start easier for whatever reason.

• phat_450f

Posted December 06, 2005 - 09:53 PM

I had a 2000 yz426. like they mentioned really easy to start. you just need that 4stroke start technique. I just hate the hot start being down on the carburater. But an easy hot start relocator and your cured....

• palmdaleRider

Posted December 07, 2005 - 06:48 AM

I had a 2000 yz426. like they mentioned really easy to start. you just need that 4stroke start technique. I just hate the hot start being down on the carburater. But an easy hot start relocator and your cured....

Typically I don't need the hot start for the YZ, unlike my Kawi that needs it all the time after it's warm. This is one of the dumb things that messes me up in starting my bikes. Different techniques for different bikes.

• ESC

Posted December 07, 2005 - 07:00 AM

Typically I don't need the hot start for the YZ, unlike my Kawi that needs it all the time after it's warm. This is one of the dumb things that messes me up in starting my bikes. Different techniques for different bikes.

I always need the hot start....but my riding partner (also on an 01YZ426) NEVER needs it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fizz

Posted December 07, 2005 - 08:14 AM

my bike (2002 426) always starts on the first kick with the hot start, but without it takes 3-4 attempts ....

• Shawn_Mc

Posted December 07, 2005 - 12:49 PM

I always need the hot start....but my riding partner (also on an 01YZ426) NEVER needs it

Your probably too rich on the screw.

I had a 00 426. I could start that thing in flip flops. Started easy. Its a better bike than the 400 for a couple reasons. One was the frame. I wouldnt hesitate to buy one for a second bike.

It did have an issue or two. The balancer drive gear was set on a keyway instead of a spline like in 01. Sometimes the keyway would shake loose. The stock keys were a tad small. I made one that was a press fit and never had another issue with it. The only other issue was something I never saw anyone else have. It was the steel insert in the clutch hub. It shook loose of the rest of the casting and allowed the entire clutch pack to wobble around enough to grind off/out the clutch cover before I figured out what the heck was going on. It was an easy fix. Put in a Hinson hub and it was bullet proof.

• myoung

Posted December 07, 2005 - 10:28 PM

My '00 YZ426 has worked flawless the entire time I've had it. When I got it, it only had about 10 hours on it and the guy was scared to death of it so it never saw any abuse. Hell, the suspension wasn't even broke in he rode it so easy. I've done a ton of modifications to it and have increased it's performance, but it's still basically the stock engine.

I had to use the hot start off and on when I first got it, but since installing the 450 exhaust cam I may have used it only a couple times. I've fixed a couple of the 'problems' the '00's had, i.e., '01 clutch fix, '01 carb needle, but I still would like to do an upgrade on the front brakes. I upgraded the rear master cylinder when I did the 450 plastics swap, and while I was there went ahead and changed the rear caliper and rotor to the 450 stuff as well, was a big improvement.

It doesn't matter what year 426 you buy, they're all great bikes. Obviously, the newer one you can get will have more advances than the others, but each year was filled with baby steps so there's not many major changes.

• RF1

Posted December 08, 2005 - 09:51 AM

How is the weight on the 2000 426 compared to the '98 400?

• Pincushion

Posted December 08, 2005 - 12:40 PM

I do believe they are lighter that the 400's, but cannot confirm.
I have a 2000 with many of the above mentioned mods.... 450 cam, 01' needle, clutch fix, billet clutch basket, Nissin front master cylinder/SS brake line and I love the thing.

I've had to rebuild the motor & trans due to contamination destroying my oil pump, but its was not a engineering flaw on Yamaha's behalf. Once the clutch fix, 01' needle and front master cylinder were done I am totally happy with it as a desert bike. A little too porky for MX duty.

• ESC

Posted December 08, 2005 - 02:28 PM

Your probably too rich on the screw.

Can you elaborate for a noob? (me)

Do you think this would cause an intermittant miss at steady throttle, like cruising down the trial?

TIA

• Fastest1

Posted December 08, 2005 - 02:47 PM

He is referring to the pilot being out too far causing a "rich" condition. If you are having a problem at mid throttle it is usually a needle issue. If it has only started since the weather has cooled down, raise the needle/lowering the clip. This will give more fuel in the mid throttle application. Pilot controls idle, main jet controls wide open needle controls mid throttle, all overlap each other slightly so there is a total effect. Jetting is about experimentation and patience.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.