NiteRider Off Road lights

9 replies to this topic
  • mexihonkey

Posted December 06, 2005 - 09:41 AM

Sorry, this isn't XR specific, but figured this is the forum for desert racers.
Anyone use or have seen the new NiteRider off road bike lights. The helmet lights look great but not sure if the bike lights are bright enough for 5th gear.

Thanks

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted December 06, 2005 - 03:05 PM

Not good for 5th (IMO).
Best bet is to make your bike have the best light possible for your budget. Even the $60 Baja Designs upgrade is sweet.

• Naru

Posted December 06, 2005 - 04:18 PM

I actually just picked up their new Hellfire HID kit. Can't say anything about the halogen version of it, but the HID version in conjunction with a 55 watt bulb is fine in top gear slamming through whoops. It would definately help to have their helmet system, but without it it's not bad. However, I'm still working on hard-wiring the system into the bike; the HID's need a battery to generate consistently clean power for them, so I'm trying to find a compact battery I can shove under the seat. Only place I have been able to find is Four Strokes Only, and I'll never deal with them again. :applause:

On a side note, I called up their tech support to inquire about their water resistance. NiteRider said that in light rain I will be OK, and in a heavy downpour I will *probably* be OK as long as I don't turn the switch on and off too much. As for falling in a stream or the sort, expect to be out roughly $120 per bulb and/or $40 per ballast, which ain't cheap.

• Kritter

Posted December 06, 2005 - 08:53 PM

I use the light and motion arc HID for mountain biking..great light and I believe it is submersible but I could be wrong also comes with helmet and bar mount.

• mexihonkey

Posted December 06, 2005 - 09:27 PM

I actually just picked up their new Hellfire HID kit. Can't say anything about the halogen version of it, but the HID version in conjunction with a 55 watt bulb is fine in top gear slamming through whoops. It would definately help to have their helmet system, but without it it's not bad. However, I'm still working on hard-wiring the system into the bike; the HID's need a battery to generate consistently clean power for them, so I'm trying to find a compact battery I can shove under the seat. Only place I have been able to find is Four Strokes Only, and I'll never deal with them again. :applause:

On a side note, I called up their tech support to inquire about their water resistance. NiteRider said that in light rain I will be OK, and in a heavy downpour I will *probably* be OK as long as I don't turn the switch on and off too much. As for falling in a stream or the sort, expect to be out roughly $120 per bulb and/or $40 per ballast, which ain't cheap.

That's my problem too. It's going on a crf450r - so no battery. Their battery seems nice but with only a 2hr run time with all the lights on is a little too short. I don't know anything about electrical, but why can't you use some kind of rectifer to run the lights straight from the stator?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kritter

Posted December 06, 2005 - 09:51 PM

battery technology is insane...

I use a NiMh with my HID and get 3.5 hours, with the li ion that is a bit smaller and 100 bucks more it gets 4.5 and with the big li ion batter that is 200 bucks more it goes well over 5 hours.

There is an HID light called an edison that is used by top dog mtb 24hr racers that will last 10 hours on a charge

• Naru

Posted December 07, 2005 - 11:30 AM

That's my problem too. It's going on a crf450r - so no battery. Their battery seems nice but with only a 2hr run time with all the lights on is a little too short. I don't know anything about electrical, but why can't you use some kind of rectifer to run the lights straight from the stator?

That's what I had thought initially (my electrical skills are definately lacking), and the tech guy at NiteRider said it should be OK. However, when I called up Ricky Stator for one of their HD rectifier/regulator units to replace the stocker, he took the time to explain to me how the voltage will not be constant at lower RPMs and will usually be ~9-10 volts for moderate riding, so I needed a battery to generate a consistent 12 volts with no spikes. So, I've found a set of 8 AA batteries wired up together like an RC car battery that are rechargable and run at 12 volt, but not sure if they will work for the HID. So, I'm going to try them out now so I can take advantage of NiteRider's 1 year garauntee if things go south (the tech said their warranty would cover such a situation :applause: ). I'll report back if things go well, or don't for that matter.

• mikekay

Posted December 07, 2005 - 02:14 PM

my XR650 rallye bike has both HID and halogen lights on seperate phases. both DC and AC wiring. So i can run the halogen straight off the stator if the battery pack dies.

i have the baja designs battery pack under the seat-and a back up on the front fairing (plug and play backup).

no reason you cant do the same with the CRF450. You are limited to the wattage you can get out--but for just HID's you should be fine.

Baja Designs can do it for you. Cycoactive also knows how. Its not hard to set up--lots of guys do it.

• Naru

Posted December 07, 2005 - 08:22 PM

Mike, which battery pack are you talking about from BD? Thanks.

• mexihonkey

Posted December 08, 2005 - 12:38 PM

my XR650 rallye bike has both HID and halogen lights on seperate phases. both DC and AC wiring. So i can run the halogen straight off the stator if the battery pack dies.

i have the baja designs battery pack under the seat-and a back up on the front fairing (plug and play backup).

no reason you cant do the same with the CRF450. You are limited to the wattage you can get out--but for just HID's you should be fine.

Baja Designs can do it for you. Cycoactive also knows how. Its not hard to set up--lots of guys do it.

That sounds like a great idea. Thanks, I'll look into that.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.