Driving below 0 degrees celsius

11 replies to this topic
  • OlaGB

Posted December 06, 2005 - 08:07 AM

Driving the bike around at about 0 to -10 celsius now..

Wondering if i have to cover one of my radiators for running in the cold.. Feels like the engine is not running hot enough, but its hard to tell how hot it is, or should be..

Do YOU cover youre radiator`s?

• Atlasrider

Posted December 06, 2005 - 08:14 AM

Not sure about covering the Rads, but, have you changed the jetting for altitude and temperature? This will make a huge difference in how the bike runs in the cold. :applause:

• baha

Posted December 06, 2005 - 09:06 AM

Wondering if i have to cover one of my radiators for running in the cold.. Feels like the engine is not running hot enough, but its hard to tell how hot it is, or should be..

THANK GOD I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA

• OlaGB

Posted December 06, 2005 - 09:13 AM

My bike just got a JD kit, and running on 170mj right now.. thinking of bigger jet, but the spark plug is`nt that white actually..

ossidog:
I envy you sometimes, BUT.. You should try to run a set of these at wintertime, on ice or hard snow..!! DAMN it sticks like glue! driving tight corners in 60mph, doing wheelies out of them!! :applause:

Posted Image

• triple 7

Posted December 06, 2005 - 10:51 AM

Rode my 450 all last winter with open rads, didn't notice any weirdness, other
than my oil got milky after a while. Though I believe snow and ice entered the crank breather tube?

• RichBaker

Posted December 06, 2005 - 11:40 AM

I don't, but I live in Tucson, AZ......we don't normally get cold enough, long enough to worry about it. But, if you live where it does stay that cold all day, YES, cover a rad...it WILL help. Why do you think they make the covers for big rig rads...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hybridz77

Posted December 06, 2005 - 11:57 AM

Do are bikes have any type of thermostat set-up? WR450 03.

• RichBaker

Posted December 06, 2005 - 12:42 PM

Nope....no thermostat. Race bikes don't need it!

• John M62

Posted December 06, 2005 - 01:46 PM

I rode this past weekend in about 32 degrees F. My 05 WR 450 didn't run well at all. The idle was all over the place{fast, slow, stall}. I thought there was something wrong with it , but my friend said his wasn't running well either. It's going to be a long winter!
John

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 06, 2005 - 03:03 PM

Duct Tape off the air flow to half of each radiator. Now get some large gauge diameter copper wire and run it from the engine head or exhaust pipe to each side to the carb. This helps keep the carb from icing up. If you have a machine shop make a brass or aluminum intake boot to conduct heat back to the carb body.

• bomax

Posted December 06, 2005 - 08:17 PM

iam riding mine day to day in that weather and it runs crappy,iam running the blue on #5 a 48 pilot ,2 out ,172 main.

just runs crap on the bottom or even part throttle cruising specially.i had a temp gauge on the bar at cruisng/windchill on the road and it was -7.****.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 07, 2005 - 05:12 AM

INdy hit it. Duct tape off 1/2 of the radiators. Helps keep things warm.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.