Has anyone pulled off their coolant bottle?

35 replies to this topic
  • googoo

Posted December 07, 2005 - 05:12 PM

why dont you just cap the lne?

• Matty05

Posted December 08, 2005 - 03:10 AM

The bottle was added to the WR because it is a trail bike and it makes it friendly to the environment :applause: Mine has never leaked and IMO there is no reason to take it off.

You are way off.......

The bottle is there so that when your radiators boil over, the coolant goes into it. When the radiators cool down, the coolant goes back into the radiator. Just like a car!
YZ's don't have this bottle. Why??? Because they are built for motocross tracks and cool down between races. Not ment at all for riding hours on end.

No way in the world would yamaha put coolant overflow bottles on the WR just because of California Laws. Just like AIS. Not all bikes get that crap.

This is an enduro bike. Enduro bikes are not friendly to the environment!

• Matty05

Posted December 08, 2005 - 03:12 AM

why dont you just cap the lne?

You could split a radiator. The pressure has to go somewhere.

• byggd

Posted December 08, 2005 - 05:16 AM

You are way off.......

The bottle is there so that when your radiators boil over, the coolant goes into it. When the radiators cool down, the coolant goes back into the radiator. Just like a car!
YZ's don't have this bottle. Why??? Because they are built for motocross tracks and cool down between races. Not ment at all for riding hours on end.

No way in the world would yamaha put coolant overflow bottles on the WR just because of California Laws. Just like AIS. Not all bikes get that crap.

I'm not sure about other states (or countries) but in CA all liquid cooled "trail" bike manufactures are required to equip the bikes with an over flow bottle. I don't think it's illegal to remove them but they must be there when sold new :applause:

• Matty05

Posted December 08, 2005 - 05:37 AM

Easiest way to explain it -
"Overflow bottles" are different to "Reserviors".
Overflow bottle just stores waste. Like GP bikes so they don't drop oil on the track.
Reservoirs recycle.

WR has a reservoir.

• byggd

Posted December 08, 2005 - 07:10 AM

Easiest way to explain it -
"Overflow bottles" are different to "Reserviors".
Overflow bottle just stores waste. Like GP bikes so they don't drop oil on the track.
Reservoirs recycle.

WR has a reservoir.

Oh I agree that they have more than one function and I've been wrenching on anything with a motor for 25 years with ASE certification so I know the difference. While the reservoir does recycle to compinsate for metal expantion and displaced coolant it also makes the bike friendly to the environment and is required for a manufacturer to get the bike classified as a trail bike. :applause:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 08, 2005 - 07:28 AM

I dunno... :applause: I would love to read an official document somewhere stating this.......

• byggd

Posted December 08, 2005 - 08:17 AM

I dunno... :applause: I would love to read an official document somewhere stating this.......

Don't kid yourself. Unfortunatly, the tree huggers have alot more power and input than one would think :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 08, 2005 - 08:27 AM

I'm just saying that the coolant recovery system is very legit and hearing that it's purpose is to keep the trails clean is news to me. You learn something everyday... (I guess) :applause:

• adrianlomas

Posted December 08, 2005 - 09:58 AM

I pulled it off and ran the overflow tubes down to the underside of the frame with NO problems!! :ride:
Its more for the Greenies I think so your bike doesnt puke coolant in the environment, thats all.
YOU DONT NEED IT!
just like the AIS, YOU DONT NEED IT!
get rid of all that shit! :applause:

• RichBaker

Posted December 08, 2005 - 01:18 PM

You are way off.......
<SNIP>

It's EPA-mandated. Any bike built for off-road, rather than for closed-course(MX) use has to have a coolant recovery bottle...because the EPA beaurocrats say so! The manufacturers can NOT import an OR bike without it...and I've boiled the stuff into mine several times. And I've never had to add coolant since I bought my 03WR :applause:

• byggd

Posted December 08, 2005 - 02:12 PM

It's EPA-mandated. Any bike built for off-road, rather than for closed-course(MX) use has to have a coolant recovery bottle...because the EPA beaurocrats say so! The manufacturers can NOT import an OR bike without it...and I've boiled the stuff into mine several times. And I've never had to add coolant since I bought my 03WR :applause:

Rich, I see you are in AZ so it must not just be a CA thing. Thanks for confirming :ride: I think a few people didn't believe me of thought I was just plain :p

• Matty05

Posted December 08, 2005 - 02:31 PM

It's EPA-mandated. Any bike built for off-road, rather than for closed-course(MX) use has to have a coolant recovery bottle...because the EPA beaurocrats say so! The manufacturers can NOT import an OR bike without it...

Maybe in USA. Just like your AIS that no one else gets!

and I've boiled the stuff into mine several times. And I've never had to add coolant since I bought my 03WR :applause:

You hit the nail on the head! This is why it is there!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 09, 2005 - 01:44 AM

Rich, I see you are in AZ so it must not just be a CA thing. Thanks for confirming :applause: I think a few people didn't believe me of thought I was just plain :p

byggd, I have to confess something to you... You're probably one of the only guys on here that I truly understand where you're coming from on a daily basis, and agree with you on just about everything regarding our bikes, I've just never heard of such a "Mandate" for coolant recovery issued by the EPA. The WR is a closed course competition bike just like the YZ models. It's not that I don't believe you I've just never seen anything on this before.. :ride:

Yes, you might be a little:goofy: sometimes :p

• byggd

Posted December 09, 2005 - 05:18 AM

byggd, I have to confess something to you... You're probably one of the only guys on here that I truly understand where you're coming from on a daily basis, and agree with you on just about everything regarding our bikes, I've just never heard of such a "Mandate" for coolant recovery issued by the EPA. The WR is a closed course competition bike just like the YZ models. It's not that I don't believe you I've just never seen anything on this before.. :applause:

Yes, you might be a little:goofy: sometimes :p

Gee Dan.....I fell all warm and fuzzy now :p LOL I make it my practice not to say something unless I'm sure of it........or if I'm not I'll add the old "I think" or "IMO" in there :ride:

• RichBaker

Posted December 09, 2005 - 10:19 AM

Sorry Dan, but the WR is an Off-Road model, built for use on public land. It is a race bike, but NOT built for closed courses....otherwise we would have gotten the YZ exhaust and carb! Yamaha wouldn't have put all the EPA stuff on if it was for closed-course use, it costs money....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.