Has anyone pulled off their coolant bottle?

35 replies to this topic
  • MTRSPORTDAN

Posted December 05, 2005 - 10:08 PM

What do you guys think? If you did how did you do it?

• Matty05

Posted December 05, 2005 - 10:19 PM

Just pull it off and run the overflow lines down to the ground with the carby lines or cut them short if you don't mind a bit of coolant on your legs.

The wr has a coolant bottle for a reason - if you think that you don't need it, take it off.

• Motone82

Posted December 05, 2005 - 11:22 PM

I took mine off and it pisses a little coolant. I continuously check the cap and it is full every time. So I keep on riding.

• ARin

Posted December 06, 2005 - 02:11 AM

coolant=bad for nature.

• ncmountainman

Posted December 06, 2005 - 05:56 AM

take it off and run evans npg-r,you can't force that stuff out at gunpoint :applause: since using it all summer i've not had to replace any lost coolant. never did in the wr either(had the overflow removed), before using evans my bike used to puke anything (redline w/water,engine ice,50/50) this stuff stays put!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 06, 2005 - 06:54 AM

Funny how some guys are going out and spending hundreds on larger aftermarket radiators while others are pulling off their coolant resevoirs. :applause:

• ncmountainman

Posted December 06, 2005 - 08:11 AM

Funny how some guys are going out and spending hundreds on larger aftermarket radiators while others are pulling off their coolant resevoirs. :ride:

if you can afford them,fluidynes are the way to go. i've got them on my yz and they are much stronger than the stock units. and if you wreck a stocker there is really no sense in replacing it with oem because you can get a pair of fluidynes for just over the cost of one oem rad. that little container(overflow) half full of fluid is probly 2 lbs at least(the tank itself weighs a lb) ,sloshing around very high above the C of G :p if you insist on having one,the turkey baster mod (or like) looks to be the most wieght conscious,keeps it lower also :applause:

• jgood

Posted December 06, 2005 - 08:29 AM

I have an 03 WR450 and I pulled the coolant bottle off a couple of years ago. I just ran a line from the coolant overflow outlet down toward the bottom of the left side radiator. I ride in the mountains often at slow speeds in technical terrain and rarely have the radiators overflow. It does happen occasionally but it's usually just a minute amount. In my opinion those oversized radiators really do not need a catch tank.

• byggd

Posted December 06, 2005 - 12:16 PM

coolant=bad for nature.

I agree. The small amount of weight you will reduce the bike by is not worth it.

• RichBaker

Posted December 06, 2005 - 12:38 PM

What is the "Turkey baster mod" ??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ISBB

Posted December 06, 2005 - 02:00 PM

mine drips every now and again but nothing huge... and i usually ride wide open desert so i have plenty of airflow.. :applause:

• Chas_M

Posted December 06, 2005 - 02:06 PM

What is the "Turkey baster mod" ??

It refers to a small coolant recovery system for bikes not originally equipped with a coolant reservoir.

• MTRSPORTDAN

Posted December 06, 2005 - 04:10 PM

I have never had a bike with one of these overflow bottles. Is the wr more prone to leak fluid? I have never had a problem with any of my bikes over heating. I am in southern california where it's pretty warm and never overheated a bike. I ride everwhere: desert, dunes, and mountains. Is it just something with the wr? Thanks for the replys, Dan

• byggd

Posted December 06, 2005 - 04:22 PM

I have never had a bike with one of these overflow bottles. Is the wr more prone to leak fluid? I have never had a problem with any of my bikes over heating. I am in southern california where it's pretty warm and never overheated a bike. I ride everwhere: desert, dunes, and mountains. Is it just something with the wr? Thanks for the replys, Dan

The bottle was added to the WR because it is a trail bike and it makes it friendly to the environment :applause: Mine has never leaked and IMO there is no reason to take it off.

• onelugnut

Posted December 06, 2005 - 08:36 PM

take it off and run evans npg-r,you can't force that stuff out at gunpoint :applause: since using it all summer i've not had to replace any lost coolant. never did in the wr either(had the overflow removed), before using evans my bike used to puke anything (redline w/water,engine ice,50/50) this stuff stays put!

Hey MM, Any prep need to be done for the evans.

• ncmountainman

Posted December 07, 2005 - 06:40 AM

they sell a prep fluid thats about $18 a gal. it needs to run in the bike for a little while to remove any leftover water,as water compromises the integrity of the npg-r. alot of people think because the evans website says DO NOT ADD WATER ,that in a situation where ya tear a hose or some such thing and experience coolant loss ,that ya can't put water in it. well after talking to the evans engineers all adding water does is ruin the npg-r's high temp resistance. and you have to go through the prep steps asap. make sure to get it from evans (its cheaper) and make sure to get npg-r (its thinner for our smaller systems) :applause:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 07, 2005 - 08:55 AM

I highly doubt that the coolant reservoir is there for environmental purposes. I've been on a couple of rides that have gone bad, being stuck in a canyon at night in the summertime, my buddy Mark White lost almost all of his coolant on his YZ426, all you could see at night were a couple of headlights and bright orange glows from everyone's headers, it was F'in hot. For leasure trail riding I can see someone wanting to pull off a pound of weight but for survival mode when things get slow and tight it's worth its weight in gold.

• siudog

Posted December 07, 2005 - 11:42 AM

I'm looking for a WR coolant bottle for my '99 YZ 400F and '02 YZ 426f (just in case). Anyone have them for sale?

• ncmountainman

Posted December 07, 2005 - 01:09 PM

I'm looking for a WR coolant bottle for my '99 YZ 400F and '02 YZ 426f (just in case). Anyone have them for sale?

$25 shipped will get you the one off my 04 wr,hoses and everything :applause:

• byggd

Posted December 07, 2005 - 01:32 PM

I highly doubt that the coolant reservoir is there for environmental purposes.

I'm not sure about other states but in CA all liquid cooled "trail" bike manufactures are required to equip the bikes with an over flow bottle. I don't think it's illegal to remove them but they must be there when sold new :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.