Upgrade 03 wr450 brake line to the 05 wr450 style.

11 replies to this topic
  • BEAN329

Posted December 05, 2005 - 08:28 PM

Just wondering if anybody has made this mode to a 03 wr450??

• Just034

Posted December 05, 2005 - 09:26 PM

I did on my 04. Made a big difference esspecially with the steel braided line.

• BEAN329

Posted December 06, 2005 - 08:34 AM

Did you just do the steel braided line, going down the bottom of the fork. Or do the shortcut between the wheel and fork.

• ddialogue

Posted December 06, 2005 - 10:55 AM

I did the CR-routed brake line mod on my 03. I used the Enduro Engineering steel braided brake line and made my own clamp. Front brakes work GOOD with this setup! :applause:

• ncmountainman

Posted December 06, 2005 - 11:19 AM

ya,if your gonna do it don't use the stock 05 line as they aren't a whole lot better. get the braided stainless aftermarket one. :applause:

• hybridz77

Posted December 06, 2005 - 11:59 AM

What was changed about the style of brake line. My front brake works great (03).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted December 06, 2005 - 01:36 PM

What was changed about the style of brake line. My front brake works great (03).

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people doing this mod and I ask myself how much better does your brake need to be? I'm 6'3" - 225, I use sintered pads and have never felt the need for more FRONT brake, and I pride myself on enjoying the downhills that offer the most pucker factor......... may be for cornering? I still seem to be light in the rear when I enter that first turn on any kind of MX start.........

Maybe someone can enlighten me on the real benefits :applause:

• av8shunmeckaneck

Posted December 06, 2005 - 04:31 PM

The biggest positive is not how "well" the brake works but to re-route the brake line. All pre '05 bikes excluding Hondas route the brake line down the fork, under the bottom of the fork then back up to the brake caliper which makes it a little suseptable to being smashed by rocks. The reason Honda didnt do this is because they had a patent on the way the hose was routed. The CR style routing is to run the hose straight down the fork to the brake caliper. The patent ran out in 05 so now all manufacturers sell their bikes with the "CR" style routing. The after thought to using a steel braided line is that the line is more solid and makes the brakes less mushy. Steve

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 06, 2005 - 04:48 PM

The biggest positive is not how "well" the brake works but to re-route the brake line. All pre '05 bikes excluding Hondas route the brake line down the fork, under the bottom of the fork then back up to the brake caliper which makes it a little suseptable to being smashed by rocks. The reason Honda didnt do this is because they had a patent on the way the hose was routed. The CR style routing is to run the hose straight down the fork to the brake caliper. The patent ran out in 05 so now all manufacturers sell their bikes with the "CR" style routing. The after thought to using a steel braided line is that the line is more solid and makes the brakes less mushy. Steve

Thanks Steve, I now see the light :applause:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 06, 2005 - 04:58 PM

I did the CR-routed brake line mod on my 03. I used the Enduro Engineering steel braided brake line and made my own clamp. Front brakes work GOOD with this setup! :applause:

I think you meant to say Ride Engineering. That is what most of us did to the 03 and 04 models:

http://www.ride-engi...&pn=BL-02012-CL

• old man dan

Posted December 06, 2005 - 05:22 PM

The other reason Cr routing is better is that its much easier to bleed.

• 1BLUEsky

Posted January 21, 2007 - 08:33 PM

Ive noticed that along with being a better route the stainless hoses are likely cheaper than a OEM rubber hose.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.