Ready Air Filters

47 replies to this topic
  • big t

Posted December 06, 2005 - 05:40 PM

I'm curious how you are spending $50+ on cleaner and oil for UNI filters, only riding 2-3 times a month........also, how you have torn one. I have used the stock YZ filter and my standby UNI (I rotate between the two) for almost 50 hours of riding and have yet to go through a can of filter oil ($8.95). I use a solution of Simple Green to clean them with in a small bucket (filter in upside down and soak for about 20-30 minutes, all the dirt and bad stuff falls to the bottom of the bucket and leaves the filter slightly oiled still but zero dirt), then oil as necessary. Anyway, I would venture to say that if you are correct in your estimates, there is something you are doing (or not doing) to cause this excessive cost.

Actually, this year I rode quite a bit more than that because I raced a local series and a couple of other races. Not sure I will be riding as much this year but I will ride at least every other weekend. Just guessing on the $50 for cleaning. The biggest thing is I'm just sick of cleaning filters so if the Ready Filters work good I think it would be one less thing to have to spend time on since the wife thinks I spend to much time on the bikes anyway. I have a 3 yr old and 1 yr old so time is an issue. My wife was cool about all the riding I did this year especially since she stays with the kids 24/7. I know I could not do that.

• mick93

Posted December 15, 2005 - 07:53 AM

I have 9 twin air filters... yes really.... so i take my tide cup (that comes with tide so you can measure detergent) and put 1/2 no toil cleaner and 1/2 tide - put filters and that in the washer and 45 min later my filters are perfect. How hard is that?

:applause:

Wow. You must either be single or have a very tolerant wife. Putting dirty oily foam in the same place that she washes her panties is a no no. hahahaha

I am hooked on Ready Filters. They work really well and the value of having a brand new pre-oiled filter in the garage when I need one is priceless. Certainly far more that the $8 or $9 it costs. I get them a dozen at a time.

• Matt96xr6

Posted December 15, 2005 - 08:14 AM

This sounds like the oil filter issue. Stock cleanable /aftermarket cleanable ones vs the paper units.

Personally I use the paper oil filters cause that is just a mess. You need solvent to clean them properly. Plus when doing and oil change you want convenience.

Now for the air filters, I clean them after every ride. You get dirt into the carb or farther in the motor and there is a lot of parts to plug up and/or damage.

The point about cleaning them and falling apart comes down to the principle of how cheap these things are made. What happens if since they are so cheap they tear when installing them? or have a seam come unglued while on the bike and then sucking up half the track?

For $13-20 you can get a filter you can reuse MANY times over. I use the notoil just cause it is so easy to clean the filters and you dont have to use the harsh chemicals. So $13 for the filter, $8.50 for the cleaning/oil kit and you get about 6 cycles on the filter at least. That to me is cheaper than 2 ready filters and I have better piece of mind.

Last thing I dont like to assume someone else put the right amount of oil on a filter. Either to much or to little. Just like having someone else change the oil in a bike. I personally do everything on my bike - race prep, maintenance, rebuilds, wheels everything so I know it is done right. I also do a lot of friends bikes cause they know that theirs gets done right also.

• DaveJ

Posted December 15, 2005 - 09:59 AM

Personally I use the paper oil filters cause that is just a mess. You need solvent to clean them properly. Plus when doing and oil change you want convenience....

For $13-20 you can get a filter you can reuse MANY times over. I use the notoil just cause it is so easy to clean the filters and you dont have to use the harsh chemicals. So $13 for the filter, $8.50 for the cleaning/oil kit and you get about 6 cycles on the filter at least. That to me is cheaper than 2 ready filters and I have better piece of mind.

Last thing I dont like to assume someone else put the right amount of oil on a filter. Either to much or to little. Just like having someone else change the oil in a bike. I personally do everything on my bike - race prep, maintenance, rebuilds, wheels everything so I know it is done right. I also do a lot of friends bikes cause they know that theirs gets done right also.

Well, just apply the logic you use on the oil filter to the air filter, and you have your answer why some of us have chosen the Race Ready approach.

Additionally, there is an argument that even with the best cleaning methods, a re-installed used filter that may look clean, may still contain certain containments, of which are now freshly relocated and oiled prior to their entry into the engine.

In other words, I'm just being an a**. Both methods and approaches are fine. Just decide what works best for you and go with it.

• palmdaleRider

Posted December 16, 2005 - 04:52 PM

I just put my first one on the KLX, and I like. Fit perfectly. As far as them standing up to repeated washes and oilings, that's not what they are marketed as, and expectations should be not be so. I purchased for the convience of using for a season and tossing.

• 642MX

Posted December 16, 2005 - 05:27 PM

I've had a couple of Ready Filters. Both had so much sticky oil in them that they plugged the back fire screen and made my bike run like crap. I think the filter cost $1 dollar and they put $9 worth of oil in it. I then tried to clean them (because I read that you could reuse them) and a little bit of gas made them blow up like a balloon, they where twice the size of a normal air filter. I thought they were junk.

$10 for a Ready that you use one time or $25 for a UNI that you can use for a couple years?........I'll pay the $15 difference.

I thought the new Ready Oil Filters where neat because of the black cover that came with the filter, but I think I'll stay away from them, if the air filters are junk the oil filters probably are too.

• David37

Posted December 16, 2005 - 08:52 PM

I'm not impressed with Ready filters, the filter tore the second time I tried cleaning it, so I tossed it. I went back to my buying Uni's or Twin Air filters. I only use No-Toil filter oil, IMO a good product and one of the easiest to clean.

• Butta

Posted December 16, 2005 - 08:56 PM

I just put my first one on the KLX, and I like. Fit perfectly. As far as them standing up to repeated washes and oilings, that's not what they are marketed as, and expectations should be not be so. I purchased for the convience of using for a season and tossing.

From what others are saying, you must have a secret to be using them for a whole season.....any more info?

• palmdaleRider

Posted December 17, 2005 - 06:25 AM

From what others are saying, you must have a secret to be using them for a whole season.....any more info?

Simple. I don't ride that much and I'm mostly a fix it only when it's broken kind of guy. :bonk:

BTW, I buy the cheapest oil I can, at Walmart. :applause:

I use to be anal about maintenance about 20 years ago, now I just don't have the time.

• Butta

Posted December 17, 2005 - 08:20 AM

Ahhh, I see. :applause:

I agree with that ideology to a point....oil and air filtration is one thing on these machines that can prevent a heck of a lot of problems down the road. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" kinda thing.....

With two air filters (the stocker and a UNI) I never have to wait on one to dry because the other is always prepared to go in. The cleaning only takes about 5 minutes of my time, the rest of the time it's either soaking or drying.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lanham

Posted December 17, 2005 - 10:19 AM

I've got a friend that swears the No-Toil stuff eats the filters.......I've never used it, though. I have had great success with the above system I described......

Not sure what you friend is doing but I haven't seen any problems. No-Toil is great, with water and No-Toil cleaner my filters have never been cleaner.

• rdefonce

Posted December 18, 2005 - 07:37 PM

I hear ya! :applause: I have heard enough positive to at least try a couple.

Ditto that for me too! :bonk:

• big t

Posted December 19, 2005 - 06:13 AM

Got 2 of them. I'll post what I think when I use one. I just put a clean Uni in so it'll be couple of weeks before I will use a Ready Filter.

• Regis188

Posted December 20, 2005 - 10:09 AM

I've had a couple of Ready Filters. Both had so much sticky oil in them that they plugged the back fire screen and made my bike run like crap. I think the filter cost $1 dollar and they put $9 worth of oil in it. I then tried to clean them (because I read that you could reuse them) and a little bit of gas made them blow up like a balloon, they where twice the size of a normal air filter. I thought they were junk.

$10 for a Ready that you use one time or $25 for a UNI that you can use for a couple years?........I'll pay the $15 difference.

I thought the new Ready Oil Filters where neat because of the black cover that came with the filter, but I think I'll stay away from them, if the air filters are junk the oil filters probably are too.

when you open a Ready Filter there is a picture of a giant gas can with a giant X through it so you know you cannot wash in gas. You can use the Ready Filters multiple times as long as you follow instructions and do not use gas to clean, read above.... simple green or a mild detergent cleans very well. Gas is a lazy mans method that is VERY BAD for ALL FILTERS.

The Air Filters are a great product and so are the oil filters.

• BigDeSto53

Posted December 20, 2005 - 10:16 AM

when you open a Ready Filter there is a picture of a giant gas can with a giant X through it so you know you cannot wash in gas. You can use the Ready Filters multiple times as long as you follow instructions and do not use gas to clean, read above.... simple green or a mild detergent cleans very well. Gas is a lazy mans method that is VERY BAD for ALL FILTERS.

The Air Filters are a great product and so are the oil filters.

aNY FREE-BIES TO TRY OUT??? :applause:

• CRF450Racer

Posted December 20, 2005 - 01:32 PM

BigD
Howabout that spamartist!
geez

• Regis188

Posted December 20, 2005 - 02:03 PM

Message boards are a great place to share knowledge, ideas and give reviews on products. It is a great place for manufacturers to see what is going on in the public eye as well. But is it fair for somebody to spread information about a product or have a bad vibe on a product after they didn't follow instructions and then to call it junk?

That would be like buying a helmet, going riding and not strapping it on and crashing. Then, coming on a message board and saying the helmet did not do its job and it is junk becasue it flew off.

defending your product when somebody opely admits to not following instructions is not spamming, heck I even stated that "Gas is a lazy mans method that is VERY BAD for ALL FILTERS" No foam should be cleaned with gas, even if washed with soap and water right afterwards.

• ridered55

Posted December 20, 2005 - 02:29 PM

For ten bucks you cant beat them! I wash mine about 4 times in kerosene and throw it away. Your time is worth someting, don't waste it cleaning filters when you can get a new one, ready to go, for $10! I keep about about 7 or 8 on hand and wait till they all get dirty and wash them all. But after 4 washes, each one comes out of the bike and into the trash,, priceless!!

• Super Mato

Posted December 20, 2005 - 02:33 PM

Gas will increase the pore size of any filter, and allows larger particles to pass through. No-Toil cleaner is alcohol based and will affect the glue in the Ready Filter and other filter types too.

• Open_Class

Posted December 20, 2005 - 02:48 PM

I jus got 4 fast filters from No-Toil. Holy crap are these the best thing going for 10 bucks!

They look almost like their full on filter. You can wash and wash these and they are going to last. and they are thick, no tearing with these.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.