Big 06 450 Purchase Decision

35 replies to this topic
  • Troutman

Posted December 05, 2005 - 01:03 PM

Well it is finally here! I am the proverbial 1st on the list for the 450 and have not put any money down as of today, I am supposed to go down to the dealer make the deal and pick it up tomorrow. Now this dealer only has one and the next dealer, an hour away, sold both of his before they made it to the floor and is not getting another shipment until February. I have been hearing all the good prices people have been getting and I know this dealer will charge MSRP + all fees + TT & L. So I have begun to doubt myself, should I wait until spring or should I pay top dollar and give into my impulses. It is 30 degrees here and there will not be any real good riding until spring, but it is hard to resist the blue beauty. Any ideas? :applause: :ride:

• kizzle426

Posted December 05, 2005 - 01:08 PM

It's all you man. If I knew I couldn't ride till spring, I'd probably hold out. Though, I feel where you're coming from on the resisting the impulse thing. Just fight it and wait until you can get it cheaper, especially if you're making payments. Just my opinion.

• yz_for_me

Posted December 05, 2005 - 01:36 PM

If you decide to wait, make sure you don't go to the dealership until you're ready to buy. One look :ride: (assuming there's even one on the floor) and, just like prom night, all your resolve to wait will disappear :applause: . That being said, I know your dilemma. I've bought all my bikes in November and look where I live. There's 16 inches of snow on the ground and I'm still tempted to go have a look. Good luck with this one.

• SCIENCE

Posted December 05, 2005 - 01:47 PM

Well it is finally here! I am the proverbial 1st on the list for the 450 and have not put any money down as of today, I am supposed to go down to the dealer make the deal and pick it up tomorrow. Now this dealer only has one and the next dealer, an hour away, sold both of his before they made it to the floor and is not getting another shipment until February. I have been hearing all the good prices people have been getting and I know this dealer will charge MSRP + all fees + TT & L. So I have begun to doubt myself, should I wait until spring or should I pay top dollar and give into my impulses. It is 30 degrees here and there will not be any real good riding until spring, but it is hard to resist the blue beauty. Any ideas? :applause: :ride:

If you are 100% sure you won't be able to ride until spring and/or you still have your trusty 426F handy, you should wait. I can almost guarantee that Yamaha will be discounting these bikes come Feb/Mar/April. By that time, most of the non-hardcore Yamaha riders will already have been on their Orange/Yellow/Red/Green 450F's for up to 8 months already & looking to hold out for the '07's to hit in August! Yamaha will be offering their dealers an incentive and you should be able to get an '06 (blue or yellow) for a great price! Probably $5900-$6100 range. Dealer cost is $5800 give or take. If Yamaha corporate is kicking in a $500 incentive, the dealers will still make $600-$800 per unit. As great as I think this bike will be, it's way to late to market. Take advantage!

• Ga426owner

Posted December 05, 2005 - 02:37 PM

If you are 100% sure you won't be able to ride until spring and/or you still have your trusty 426F handy, you should wait. I can almost guarantee that Yamaha will be discounting these bikes come Feb/Mar/April. By that time, most of the non-hardcore Yamaha riders will already have been on their Orange/Yellow/Red/Green 450F's for up to 8 months already & looking to hold out for the '07's to hit in August! Yamaha will be offering their dealers an incentive and you should be able to get an '06 (blue or yellow) for a great price! Probably $5900-$6100 range. Dealer cost is $5800 give or take. If Yamaha corporate is kicking in a $500 incentive, the dealers will still make $600-$800 per unit. As great as I think this bike will be, it's way to late to market. Take advantage!

Agreed - do not over pay for it because it is brand new.......wait until the dealer drops his pants.... :applause:

• Troutman

Posted December 06, 2005 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I am beginning to lean toward purchasing the bike tonight. I guess it will all depend on the final deal. I will let all of you know tomorrow.

Also Does anyone know what i should expect for a trade-in price on the 2000 426 in great shape in my garage?

• grayracer513

Posted December 06, 2005 - 11:06 AM

The dealer is in New Mexico, not LA. Snub any attempt to go beyond MSRP+(stuff), and make sure the (stuff) is reasonable and legit.

Even in NM, sometime between now and the spring, the sun is going to come out for a couple of days... Is it worth $300-400 to miss that?

Buy it.

My $.02

• Reyndogg

Posted December 06, 2005 - 11:34 AM

Also Does anyone know what i should expect for a trade-in price on the 2000 426 in great shape in my garage?

Sorry to say, but expect to be selling your 426. I wouldnt expect more than 1500 for it as a trade-in.

Good luck,

• MotoGoalie

Posted December 06, 2005 - 11:57 AM

I wouldn't pay more just to satisfy an impulse but im notoriously cheap and buy used bikes just to avoid this quandry.

• lumpy790

Posted December 06, 2005 - 01:11 PM

Your in NM and you cant ride??? I thought NM was in the South! And you wonder why I moved to NC???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Troutman

Posted December 06, 2005 - 01:49 PM

Well you can ride but most of the access will be cut off due to snow soon. I live in northern New Mexico north of Santa Fe @ 8000' hence the cold. Gray you would think that this is not LA but Santa Fe is incredibly expensive and with only one bike in stock and a list behind me I am afraid that I don't have much room to negotiate, but I think I agree with not passing it up for $400. Moto I am also notoriously cheep and have only bought used bikes in the past but I am now "gradumated" as they say and would like a brand new ride for once in my life. Well I am off now to the dealer thanks all for your input. I will let you know if he was gentle!

• DPW

Posted December 06, 2005 - 01:55 PM

Troutman, Good luck with the dealer....would be a good Christmas gift to yourself!

• MotoGoalie

Posted December 06, 2005 - 02:50 PM

Troutman, Good luck with the dealer....would be a good Christmas gift to yourself!

Yeah, good wishes. You can't fault a fella for buying a new bike, man, there's nothing like having a brand new scoot regardless of the cost. It truly is YOURs.

Merry Christmas.

• Troutman

Posted December 07, 2005 - 07:08 AM

Well i guess I chickend out for now. Heres the deal they offered, they offered me $2000 for my trade, (2000 426 good shape), and $6899 for the bike + $400 for setup and destination = $5299 for the bike out the door without TT&L and including trade. I have asked them to waive the $400 set up and destination charge to equal $4900 out the door without TT&L and trade if I pay cash today, they are calling me back. Do you think this would be a decent deal ? I never knew trying to buy a new bike would be so stressful!!

• Reyndogg

Posted December 07, 2005 - 07:20 AM

2k for your trade is pretty damn good. If they can meet you at your 4900 or between that and the 5299, it wouldnt be too bad i dont think. good luck!

• DPW

Posted December 07, 2005 - 07:23 AM

Buying a new bike is like buying a new car. Dealer cost for a 2006 YZ450F is right around $5800...so they are making 1K right there off of you. 6899 is retail so that is no deal in my opinion. The 2K trade for your bike is a decent deal though. I would figure probably about $500 for TTL. $5299 OTD in the back of your truck would be a good deal.

What you have to ask yourself is what is a good deal or you? Don't worry about the prices that are posted here. If he won't come down ask him to make you a prefered customer and get 15% off of parts or something if you want the bike bad and can't wait.

• MotoGoalie

Posted December 07, 2005 - 07:27 AM

Well i guess I chickend out for now. Heres the deal they offered, they offered me $2000 for my trade, (2000 426 good shape), and $6899 for the bike + $400 for setup and destination = $5299 for the bike out the door without TT&L and including trade. I have asked them to waive the $400 set up and destination charge to equal $4900 out the door without TT&L and trade if I pay cash today, they are calling me back. Do you think this would be a decent deal ? I never knew trying to buy a new bike would be so stressful!!

You need to separate the real cost of the bike out from the trade in.

So you're telling us the cost of the bike is.....7299

Judging from what other people have paid for the bike, I'm not sure how to answer that.

Your 426 can probably fetch 2000 on the market. You should sell that yourself. You might even get upwards of 2500 maybe.

So you are paying top dollar on the 06 and getting a low price on your trade in.

What if you were to get lucky and go find a dealer that would sell the bike for 6500.

And you sold your bike and pocketed your cash for 2200.

Net cost 4300.

Your best deal to them is 4900. That's 600 bones saved to spend on goodies. You may save more as I doubt they come down in price the way you described them.
The first deal they offered you was 5299? Look at that cost difference now? :ride:

I'm glad you're paying cash. You have all the bargaining chips. Make them sweat.

Drive down to Phoenix or Vegas and get a way better deal. :applause:

• Butta

Posted December 07, 2005 - 08:11 AM

I'm with Grey on the idea that it's worth it (to me) to spend a little extra earlier so I have the bike I want for a surprise sunny day....that being said, do you have to do it now?? I think $2k for your trade is quite fair, and I also think that if you wait another 6 weeks (at most) you'll be able to pit a few dealers against eachother to start whittling down the cost. It all comes down to how bad you want the bike. A good deal to someone may not be a good deal to someone else.

So, how bad do you want it? and how bad do you want it NOW?

Answer those questions and you'll be seeing the value a little clearer, I think.

• MotoGoalie

Posted December 07, 2005 - 08:19 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=314994

I think the price in this thread is more realistic than that other thread with fantasy prices in the low 6k.

Use it to judge how good a deal you are getting. Sounds like you are real close actually. :applause:

• Troutman

Posted December 07, 2005 - 08:28 AM

Well no call back yet but it is making me crazy! One minute I am definitely going to buy it then the next minute I am not. I am almost thinking that I will not be happy either way. I did not expect it to be like this. Anyway thanks everyone for all of your advice it helps me put things into perspective. I will keep you posted.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.